NI.... all one sided again!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Plant-Pilot, Jun 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3850831.stm

It seems that after we let go all the terrorists and allowed them to get back to what they were doing before they got caught, but the army aren't allowed to do the same.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the two in question were released on appeal.

Why don't they just make the whole 'game' equal and allow 'everyone' to get on with their lives and not just them. There is always the tendency to have enquiry after enquiry until somebody gives the decision they were after... then it's "I told you so" and "the army was covering up".

There was enough pressure over there without the constant thought in the back of your mind "hesitate and I could be dead... don't and I could be up for murder". Why should we continue to give them all the advantages?

2. It might have something to do with many of N.I's "political representatives" being terrorists.

But I've been wrong before.

3. they were sentenced and appealed. they were not released on appeal. they lost their appeal, and did their time for murder.

the unit applied for their discharge in accordance with QR's using the AF B130 action. they appealed against it and the army kept them in.

at the end of their sentences they returned to army life.

4. Prepared to bite.....................who gives a feck....I wil asume that Mr M's local community are prepared to hand over all those within their community who have been involved in the troubles.........so that
    a) we might know their names..........(Like we dont)
    b) They too can reclaim their place in society............(Benefits 'claims etc......without having to work for it)

BIT.............? YES like Feck!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

5. F'ing ridiculous this is!!

If these boys had been plumbers, for example, no-one would have batted an eyelid when they came out of prison and gained employment as plumbers.

They were found `guilty` and have served their time so should be allowed to continue with their lives. Other murderers get released and given new identities in order that they can live their lives (at great expense to the taxpayers).

The only people who are continuing to persecute these lads are the family of the boy who was killed. They are obviously under the impression that the punishment wasn't enough and would probably welcome back capital punishment, but only for this case!

I say - leave them alone and let them get on with their lives!!

:x

6. I think that we are being a little like our trans atlantic cousins here in seeing everything as an attack on us.

I very much doubt that the army, even in these desperate days, would take on a convicted killer who had served a long prison sentence.
    I accept that this case was difficult but we do have ROE which these two would have appeared to have ignored. I hasten to add that I do not know the ins and outs of the case but most soldiers who get a custodial sentence are discharged so these two probably should have been. I have lost very good soldiers who have been involved in the occasional fracas and have been discharged by CsM.

The whole buisness of them winning their appeal to stay in was bizarre in the first place. Plumbers do not have to operate under stressful conditions such as PSO. These two at best made a mistake and at worst were very naughty and have proven that they , once, got it wrong and therefore might get it wrong again.

Closes down and waits for the incoming..........................

7. I may be wrong, but wasn't one of the lads who killed Jamie Bolger allowed to join up when he was released.

As for these two lads, fair play to them, they should be allowed to stay in, they've done their time, if the Army want's to keep them so be it.

8. i think its fair that soldiers are not released early in the way IRA members etc have been... IRA members etc are/were a rabble of terrorist scumbags who had no right to do what they did... soldiers are government representatives and the highest standards should apply to them... so after shooting someone there should be 1 of 3 possible results... a) good shot and here's your medal b) you shot the wrong person but there are good reasons why that error was made c) your standards were not good enough and you are guilty of murder...

i could be wrong but i think this is roughly what General Jackson thinks as well?