NHS - What the hell's this?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whiskybreath, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forty-three hospital patients starved to death last year and 111 died of thirst while being treated on wards.

I've personally been subject to some pretty grisly treatment in foreign (African) hospitals, and seen some worse than that, but I'd tend to expect slightly better at home.

This is astonishing. Every other day some Polly Toynbee or other claims that we have the best health service in the world, but ...

Seriously. It's not good enough. Who's going to sort it out? The Labour/Conservative/Liberal crews? I don't trust any of them anymore. I despair.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

seems odd considering the way they throw sandwiches at you.

yet more proof that the lack of student nurses has wrecked the system IMO
  3. The student nurses and newly qualified nurses that are there now, are struggling with the stresses of the job due to lack of staff.

Currently managed by an utter shower of shit.
  4. Never seen a death certificate that said 'starved to death'. I'm sure the coroners should be told this is happening.
  5. Nurses no longer nurse, they see themselves as sort of delegated doctors, with Health Care Assistants and Volunteers roped in to do the really grizzly jobs. It is no surprise that patients fall through the system.

A degree being the only route into the profession was a disastrous decision. A lot of eminently suitable people who have a genuine interest in care are discouraged by the formality of a three year degree. I struggle to see how a 10,000 word dissertation is a necessary precondition for proficient nursing skills.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. I'm sure you're correct Nurses do nothing anymore, they just sit about and consider who they're going to starve to death next. What else would they be doing other than hiding water and food.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. NHS treats terminal anorexia patients, shock horror - read all about it?

There was a bit on the radio about dehydration, apparently there can be a special risk with certain conditions and possibly a training or staffing issue.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

The past few times I've been at their mercy I have generally found them rude, obstructive and more interested in their mobile phones. they also seem to have forgotten some of basics.

patient care has gone tits up as figures are more important.

a friend of ours did nursing late and is now a secretary at a screening unit which strikes me as a waste of resources.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Next year 10,000 - 14,000 of us will die from smoking related diseases.

Next year 40,000 of us will die from medical negligence.
  10. Rude, obstructive and more interested in their mobile phones, that sounds to me like patients.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. At least there'll be some empty beds then.
  12. Yeah, we'll keep starving people until we get a pay rise and our pensions honoured.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yes that was my precise implication, thanks for clarifying it for me.
  14. You're not well I can arrange an admission.
    • Like Like x 1