NHS Volunteers

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
My OA’s Trust, mentioned a few pages back, ~4K staff. All front line clinical staff vaccinated (1st jab) by end of last week (week 1), balance of Trust staff vaccinations due this weekend, save for waifs and strays. Morale, through roof.

I believe there are some issues with certain local GP surgeries... but programme going great guns. Top work people.
Certainly down here in Dorset, our Surgery did 1000 jabs last Saturday and will have done a further 3000 by close of play today. That's over-80s, care home and NHS staff, plus others in Group 1.

A friend's elderly mother in Bristol has had her two jabs. She and her chums, all over 90, don't live in care homes, and transport has been a challenge, but no one is moaning, just inconveniencing themselves to get parents / grandparents jabbed.

Our local taxi firm is offering free, safe transport to the surgery for those who need it. My cousin in Sussex has reported a local taxi firm offering a low fixed price to transport, wait for and return folk after their jabs.

Too much good news, obviously.

Yarra

War Hero
Certainly down here in Dorset, our Surgery did 1000 jabs last Saturday and will have done a further 3000 by close of play today. That's over-80s, care home and NHS staff, plus others in Group 1.

A friend's elderly mother in Bristol has had her two jabs. She and her chums, all over 90, don't live in care homes, and transport has been a challenge, but no one is moaning, just inconveniencing themselves to get parents / grandparents jabbed.

Our local taxi firm is offering free, safe transport to the surgery for those who need it. My cousin in Sussex has reported a local taxi firm offering a low fixed price to transport, wait for and return folk after their jabs.

Running joke in Yarra household is that Mum can now go out clubbing with our elderly neighbours :p

I have mentioned on the vaccination thread that in Porthcawl (S Wales), at the end of a day the surgery is ringing round priority folk without appointments already set up, to ask if they can make it in within the hour. If not, they ring the next on the list, and so on.
They are administering AZNOxon, so there’s not the problem of very cold storage but, nonetheless, they are cracking on. My mother has one of the ‘can you make it’ calls a couple of days ago as a few people hadn’t turned up for their appointment .
Local taxi companies are also waiving fares for the priorities, picking people up, waiting at the practice, then taking them home again.

Common sense being applied north of the border.

I have heard (uncorroborated) stories of vaccine being wasted in England for the two reasons high-lighted by FF.
Firstly PHE England not allowing variations from the strict prioritisation lists, even instructions for those districts "ahead of the game" to wait for neighbouring facilities to "catch-up". Daft.

Additionally there is an issue with data sharing, in that whilst data is held as to who has had jab 1/jab 2 getting that out to each and every node is a struggle. Scotland seem to have trumped us here.

Nope, the drive is to vaccinate as many as possible, if there’s anything left from the session it is offered out to whoever can have it. We get messages at work quite regularly offering left overs from local sessions.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I hugely admire the taxi drivers mucking in, be it free or for a fixed fee. I do so hope that that is true.
They are advertising on our village fb page, and the East Sussex place where my cousin lives, from where folk have to travel to Tangmere. No one is complaining that the offer disappears when they try to book, so I assume it is being used successfully.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have mentioned on the vaccination thread that in Porthcawl (S Wales), at the end of a day the surgery is ringing round priority folk without appointments already set up, to ask if they can make it in within the hour. If not, they ring the next on the list, and so on.
They are administering AZNOxon, so there’s not the problem of very cold storage but, nonetheless, they are cracking on. My mother has one of the ‘can you make it’ calls a couple of days ago as a few people hadn’t turned up for their appointment .
Local taxi companies are also waiving fares for the priorities, picking people up, waiting at the practice, then taking them home again.

Up here, Due to the ultra low temperature, we are tending to keep the Pfizer vaccine for NHS use and distribute the AZ for GPs.

However the Pfizer vaccine is not as bad as first thought, we have a few days at 2-8'C and then 6 hours once diluted. So we're using it in care homes.

Cold Chain is another new phrase for my Covid lexicon

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
20210116_153903.jpg

Common sense being applied north of the border.

I have heard (uncorroborated) stories of vaccine being wasted in England for the two reasons high-lighted by FF.
Firstly PHE England not allowing variations from the strict prioritisation lists, even instructions for those districts "ahead of the game" to wait for neighbouring facilities to "catch-up". Daft.

Additionally there is an issue with data sharing, in that whilst data is held as to who has had jab 1/jab 2 getting that out to each and every node is a struggle. Scotland seem to have trumped us here.
Police have been offered surplus vaccinations. They are then distributed according to the prioritisation criteria ,and according to role- frontline / non-frontline henceforth etc. Unaware of any issues surrounding it- just know that a system is in place.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Update in my leafy rural corner:

Email earlier today :

' You will understand that the response from the public to the call from Unity and other agencies for this cause has been fantastic. So much so that we have over 700 people registered and to get everybody involved immediately will be near impossible.

Clinics are organised subject to vaccine availability which has proved to be sporadic with clinics often set up or cancelled with very short notice. I can confirm that you are on the list of available people. Clearly the vaccination programme is here for the long term so all I can ask is that you are patient. Unity will notify you in good time if and when you are required.

Thank you to all the volunteers who have already been called upon to help with this vital work.

If you would like to be removed from our list or your situation has changed please let me know.

Alternatively, you may like to look at other volunteering opportunities we are advertising in Koom Valley – click the link to view the list:

https://do-it.org/organisations/

To summarise, thank you if you have already been called as a volunteer and if not, please be patient.

We should all be proud to be involved in the national response to this emergency situation.

Thank you again for your interest and commitment.

Best wishes,

Ebeneezer Goode '

---------------------- -------------------- ----------- endit ----------------------------------------------

Some names have been changed to protect the innocent...but basically they have a raft of people wishing to stand in the rain and be polite to jabbees.

Our little Community Centre has been running inoculations using the Oxford AZ vaccine for several weeks and is only held up when supplies run out.