Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NHS Volunteers

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well done that Fang Farrier- good job.

Bit of ground truth, first-hand reportage, for collateral :

Letter dated 11 Jan 2021 - Hacienda Cabra, Hertfordshire, England

' ........The vaccinations have been very efficient . At least half a dozen of my friends have been 'done'. 10:05 appt. and out at 10:35. They used two buildings of the Uni and had plenty of stewards. It gives us some hope that this awful disease can be beaten and our families can stop worrying about us oldies.'

Goatman Mére aka 'Nanny ' aged 943/4

Kudos to NHS Herts Community Trust

View attachment 539629

My team today consisted of myself, 2 other dentists and a school nurse.

Lots of procedures can make the air filled with virus potentially. The NHS advised no ear syringing for example. A friend told me nurses had posted on Facebook that they’d do it in peoples homes. Now that could mean spreading virus from one place to another. They’re very much putting themselves at risk with the regulators.
We as first responders have been told not to perform any AGPs, if we do CPR, we have to put a mask on the casualty.

Did my first day of vaccinating today.

Very rewarding and smug feeling!

Residents and staff of a care home.

Some doses left over, so on the "No vaccine to be wasted" offered it to a local dentist practice.

However, they could not enter the care home and because we had been in a care home were not meant to go inside anywhere else.
Did them outside at their firedoor!
just out of curiosity how would this work for their second dose if their not on the list to receive the vaccine then they wont get called forward for the second dose, or am I missing something.

not having a go its great that its going into arms not the bin

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
just out of curiosity how would this work for their second dose if their not on the list to receive the vaccine then they wont get called forward for the second dose, or am I missing something.

not having a go its great that its going into arms not the bin

Up here, all the covid immunisation is recorded on a central system thus coordinating everything.

The primary effort at present is to get as many folk as possible vaccinated with their first dose.
The new increased 12 weeks to the second gives us a fair amount of time to think about 2nd dose

We have disposable sleeved gowns, gloves, masks and safety glasses which we have to don before attending to any casualty.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We have disposable sleeved gowns, gloves, masks and safety glasses which we have to don before attending to any casualty.

A correctly face fitted FFP3 mask?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Don't use them on the cats because they're only asleep.

Serious question now. How many sets of PPE do you carry in the vehicle?

Patrol car or own car? In the patrol car there is a box of masks, we have personal issue safety glasses and each car has a box of gloves on the kit list. In my own car, 2 pair of safety glasses, a box of gloves, a box of masks, a box of disposable sleeved gowns and a tub of antibacterial wipes to clean my glasses and car between call outs.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Patrol car or own car? In the patrol car there is a box of masks, we have personal issue safety glasses and each car has a box of gloves on the kit list. In my own car, 2 pair of safety glasses, a box of gloves, a box of masks, a box of disposable sleeved gowns and a tub of antibacterial wipes to clean my glasses and car between call outs.

Sorry. I meant your patrol car.
In my own vehicle I keep two FA kits one relatively simple one (in 1944 NCO web bag) for throw away (big plastic bag for that) and one sort of heavy duty bag which if used has to be completely sanitised.
The reason for two bags since the pandemic is because on the ranges one rarely needs a complete FA kit to deal with cuts/splinters/grazes/eyewash etc. The big kit is left well alone unless needed.

I have a vehicle first aid kit, and my community first responder bag, the CFR bag has my defib attached, plus oxygen, dressings, blood pressure monitor, tympanic membrane ear thermometer, blood oximeter and my PPE.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a vehicle first aid kit, and my community first responder bag, the CFR bag has my defib attached, plus oxygen, dressings, blood pressure monitor, tympanic membrane ear thermometer, blood oximeter and my PPE.

Coo!! Nah, I'm just a First aider though we do have a defib.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Even I have a Defib!

They have become vey common these days
Read and reviewed the biography of the Army Medic who invented portable defibrillators and fought tooth and nail to have them put into ambulances. Excellent read. Here is the review.

Coo!! Nah, I'm just a First aider though we do have a defib.
You can't miss me when I'm carrying this. ;)
IMG_20200930_104810.jpg

Some doses left over, so on the "No vaccine to be wasted" offered it to a local dentist practice.

However, they could not enter the care home and because we had been in a care home were not meant to go inside anywhere else.
Did them outside at their firedoor!
Common sense being applied north of the border.
Up here, all the covid immunisation is recorded on a central system thus coordinating everything.
I have heard (uncorroborated) stories of vaccine being wasted in England for the two reasons high-lighted by FF.
Firstly PHE England not allowing variations from the strict prioritisation lists, even instructions for those districts "ahead of the game" to wait for neighbouring facilities to "catch-up". Daft.

Additionally there is an issue with data sharing, in that whilst data is held as to who has had jab 1/jab 2 getting that out to each and every node is a struggle. Scotland seem to have trumped us here.

Yarra

War Hero
Well done that Fang Farrier- good job.

Bit of ground truth, first-hand reportage, for collateral :

Letter dated 11 Jan 2021 - Hacienda Cabra, Hertfordshire, England

' ........The vaccinations have been very efficient . At least half a dozen of my friends have been 'done'. 10:05 appt. and out at 10:35. They used two buildings of the Uni and had plenty of stewards. It gives us some hope that this awful disease can be beaten and our families can stop worrying about us oldies.'

Goatman Mére aka 'Nanny ' aged 943/4

Kudos to NHS Herts Community Trust

View attachment 539629
My OA’s Trust, mentioned a few pages back, ~4K staff. All front line clinical staff vaccinated (1st jab) by end of last week (week 1), balance of Trust staff vaccinations due this weekend, save for waifs and strays. Morale, through roof.

I believe there are some issues with certain local GP surgeries... but programme going great guns. Top work people.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Common sense being applied north of the border.

I have heard (uncorroborated) stories of vaccine being wasted in England for the two reasons high-lighted by FF.
Firstly PHE England not allowing variations from the strict prioritisation lists, even instructions for those districts "ahead of the game" to wait for neighbouring facilities to "catch-up". Daft.

Additionally there is an issue with data sharing, in that whilst data is held as to who has had jab 1/jab 2 getting that out to each and every node is a struggle. Scotland seem to have trumped us here.

Our system allows for instance addition of anybody registered with a GP.

And if not, then a paper form can be completed for addition to database later.

Latest Threads