NHS Test & Trace survey - genuine or phishing?

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had two e-mails purporting to be from NHS T&T asking me to participate in a survey. It looks innocuous apart from one line - it comments that I have requested a test recently. I haven't. I've been getting rapid test kits from work, done the tests regularly and reported the results (all negative) online. Never actually requested a test (or kit) though.

Text as follows -

"You are receiving this invitation because you recently arranged to have a COVID-19 test.

As part of our service, we are constantly seeking to improve the testing experience that we provide. We are asking you to complete a short survey to share your views about the test you have had. By doing so, you will help us to improve our service and make things better for everyone.

We are working with our research partner Qualtrics to capture feedback. The survey will take no longer than 10 minutes and will be open for you to take until Friday, February 11th. To answer the survey, please click on the link below.

Take the survey

In order to help us make important changes based on the feedback we receive, we will be matching your responses with your test registration details (so we can understand what type of test you have had, for example). Participation in the survey is voluntary and your responses will remain confidential. Feedback will be anonymised and used for research purposes only.

By taking this survey, you agree to our Privacy Policy and use of cookies.

Thank you for taking part.

If you wish to take the survey in Welsh, you can do so by clicking on the dropdown menu in the survey itself.
"

If it's some sort of scam, the author is particularly good at written English. Thoughts?

A friend of mine had been pinged twice, his wife has not (same locations). Do you really think that they isolate.
Big C is probably what they picked up.

Last edited:
Over the last couple of weeks, I've had two e-mails purporting to be from NHS T&T asking me to participate in a survey. It looks innocuous apart from one line - it comments that I have requested a test recently. I haven't. I've been getting rapid test kits from work, done the tests regularly and reported the results (all negative) online. Never actually requested a test (or kit) though.

Text as follows -

"You are receiving this invitation because you recently arranged to have a COVID-19 test.

As part of our service, we are constantly seeking to improve the testing experience that we provide. We are asking you to complete a short survey to share your views about the test you have had. By doing so, you will help us to improve our service and make things better for everyone.

We are working with our research partner Qualtrics to capture feedback. The survey will take no longer than 10 minutes and will be open for you to take until Friday, February 11th. To answer the survey, please click on the link below.

Take the survey

In order to help us make important changes based on the feedback we receive, we will be matching your responses with your test registration details (so we can understand what type of test you have had, for example). Participation in the survey is voluntary and your responses will remain confidential. Feedback will be anonymised and used for research purposes only.

If you wish to take the survey in Welsh, you can do so by clicking on the dropdown menu in the survey itself.
"

If it's some sort of scam, the author is particularly good at written English. Thoughts?

Any survey I have had from government websites follows immediately on from the interaction.

@putteesinmyhands,

The survey looked genuine (Privacy Policy and other links), so I followed the link and completed it.
towards the end, there are questions regarding employment status, income, perceived gender, etc which you can either choose not to say or make something up. The final question is whether you agree to be contacted further, easy enough to answer no. No really personal, identity details required.

not heard of Qualtrics, but then there are so many different companies involved in this I wouldn't be too surprised. what was the URL it took you to?

themutiny

Old-Salt
not heard of Qualtrics, but then there are so many different companies involved in this I wouldn't be too surprised. what was the URL it took you to?
I don’t know. Interestingly the link only worked once. When I clicked again to report it just errored.

I don’t know. Interestingly the link only worked once. When I clicked again to report it just errored.

what as the url? do you still have it?

themutiny

Old-Salt
what as the url? do you still have it?
Unfortunately not. If memory serves it appeared to be gibberish, a string of different characters in a mixture of upper and lower case. I can’t even find the confirmation of me reporting it, but then I do tend to regularly purge my inbox.

Unfortunately not. If memory serves it appeared to be gibberish, a string of different characters in a mixture of upper and lower case. I can’t even find the confirmation of me reporting it, but then I do tend to regularly purge my inbox.
That sounds a bit like a thing I came acoss. I'll try and dig it up. In the mean time have a look at your search history.

EDIT I mean the History tab proper.

Text as follows -

Take the survey

"

The NHS.UK domain in the links is legit. It's written in English English (s instead of Z)

What was the senders address?

That said, just because it's probably a legit email, does not mean that it's not a government phishing exercise.

endure

GCM
It may be that it was a once only URL to stop you taking the survey more than once so the second time you clicked on it it errored.

Qualtrics is quite a big company with surveys as one of its products.

if it was definitely that and it wasn't a fake header, then I would say it's legit. that's properly formatted and spelt for one of ours.
The only alarm bell was the reference to my having recently requested a test when I haven't done any such thing. Ever.

In that respect, it's reminiscent of a car insurance scam.

It may be that it was a once only URL to stop you taking the survey more than once so the second time you clicked on it it errored.

Qualtrics is quite a big company with surveys as one of its products.

This post is from when I hit on the thing I was talking about.

The once only link that I found pointed at a page on a commercial site for an antibiotic that the troll had mentioned.

TamH70

MIA

Text as follows -

Take the survey

"

It's a real survey on behalf of HMG. I got one too and my money's still in the bank - all that l haven't spent on bits for my new toy, that is.

Latest Threads