• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

NHS spends £17 per pizza base

BBC News - NHS 'paid £17 for gluten-free pizza base'

Two prescription gluten-free pizza bases can cost the NHS as much as £34, BBC Newsnight has learned.

The NHS spent £27m on gluten-free prescriptions in 2011, but handling and delivery charges, which can quadruple the cost, are not recorded.

In an example from Rotherham, it was discovered that the NHS had been paying four times the original price for pizza bases.

The two pizza bases originally cost £8.95. But by the time manufacturing, handling and delivery fees were added on, the bill for the NHS had been driven up to nearly £34.00.

Another example comes from Dr Fayyaz Choudri, a GP who was responsible for overhauling gluten-free prescriptions in Allerdale, Cumbria.

"We saw there were occasions where there was a bread loaf costing £2.50 and there was a handling fee of £32.00," he says.
This is what you get when public servants are in charge of the purse strings. No concept of value for money because someone else is paying.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Why are the NHS buying food on prescription? If it is in hospital then don't they have cooks who can knock up a pizza base for pennies? If in the community, ie at home, why are the N H S paying for food?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Because it gets dictated to the NHS where items can be purchased from. The companies know they have a monopoly so they do what they like! We had to pay £7 for a hole punch that we could've picked up in Staples or WHSmiths for £2. If the kettle dies we have to replace it from an NHS catalogue at inflated prices.

Why are the NHS buying food on prescription? If it is in hospital then don't they have cooks who can knock up a pizza base for pennies? If in the community, ie at home, why are the N H S paying for food?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Cooks?? In hospitals?? Don't be silly...most of the hospitals I've worked in have 'cook/chill' arrangements where the food is ready made, just heated up on site. Our kitchens were ripped out to make office space. All they have now is a big bank of fridges and plug in heater cabinets!

If people can't eat gluten...why feed them bloody PIZZA??? Give them a jacket potato with tuna and sweetcorn, or meat and 3 veg.....no wonder obesity is an issue when bloody hospitals are serving junk food! And before you tell me pizza isn't junk food, trust me when I tell you hospital pizza makes Iceland 3 for a quid look like the bees knees of nutrition!!

Cooks?? In hospitals?? Don't be silly...most of the hospitals I've worked in have 'cook/chill' arrangements where the food is ready made, just heated up on site. Our kitchens were ripped out to make office space. All they have now is a big bank of fridges and plug in heater cabinets!

If people can't eat gluten...why feed them bloody PIZZA??? Give them a jacket potato with tuna and sweetcorn, or meat and 3 veg.....no wonder obesity is an issue when bloody hospitals are serving junk food! And before you tell me pizza isn't junk food, trust me when I tell you hospital pizza makes Iceland 3 for a quid look like the bees knees of nutrition!!
That's what I was thinking. How can patients be expected to recover if they get fed lousy food?

A close friend of mine went to hospital for cancer. He and his family didn't understand the importance of good nutrition, so he ate soup, white bread and crackers every day. Hospital staff turned a blind eye to what he was eating, when they should have been insisting he eat a balanced meal with meat, veg and fruits. He died.

Not saying he died specifically because of bad diet, but if patients ate properly at a hospital, people would get better sooner and fewer will die.

Saving money by buying junk food is a false economy. And doubly false because the NHS pays through its nose for "junk"!

My tip for anyone being committed to an NHS prison ward is this...

order your food off the 'ethnic' menu! Its often ordered in from local restaurants and is WAY tastier than the pap that comes off the normal menu

order your food off the 'ethnic' menu! Its often ordered in from local restaurants and is WAY tastier than the pap that comes off the normal menu

That only works in the Midlands, Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor is a different matter!

B

bokkatankie

If it had not been for the McDonalds at Southampton Hospital, I think I may have starved to death!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
This is what all those super well paid executives at the NHS trusts are paid to sort out. Their cost controls should have picked this up years ago and they should have been moving heaven and earth to sort out the problem. All savings from the food purchase bill could have been recycled into better clinical and surgical facilities.

Instead, I wouldn't trust most NHS executive to run a whelk stall...

Wordsmith

Latest Threads