NHS spends £17 per pizza base

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Radiance, May 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - NHS 'paid £17 for gluten-free pizza base'

This is what you get when public servants are in charge of the purse strings. No concept of value for money because someone else is paying.

2. Dont knock it. Some public servant was in charge of paying me when I was in and I wasn't value for money either.

• Like Like x 16
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Why are the NHS buying food on prescription? If it is in hospital then don't they have cooks who can knock up a pizza base for pennies? If in the community, ie at home, why are the N H S paying for food?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Because it gets dictated to the NHS where items can be purchased from. The companies know they have a monopoly so they do what they like! We had to pay £7 for a hole punch that we could've picked up in Staples or WHSmiths for £2. If the kettle dies we have to replace it from an NHS catalogue at inflated prices.

5. Cooks?? In hospitals?? Don't be silly...most of the hospitals I've worked in have 'cook/chill' arrangements where the food is ready made, just heated up on site. Our kitchens were ripped out to make office space. All they have now is a big bank of fridges and plug in heater cabinets!

If people can't eat gluten...why feed them bloody PIZZA??? Give them a jacket potato with tuna and sweetcorn, or meat and 3 veg.....no wonder obesity is an issue when bloody hospitals are serving junk food! And before you tell me pizza isn't junk food, trust me when I tell you hospital pizza makes Iceland 3 for a quid look like the bees knees of nutrition!!

• Like Like x 3
  6. ooooo...get you, eh?

7. :lick: shut it you

8. That's what I was thinking. How can patients be expected to recover if they get fed lousy food?

A close friend of mine went to hospital for cancer. He and his family didn't understand the importance of good nutrition, so he ate soup, white bread and crackers every day. Hospital staff turned a blind eye to what he was eating, when they should have been insisting he eat a balanced meal with meat, veg and fruits. He died.

Not saying he died specifically because of bad diet, but if patients ate properly at a hospital, people would get better sooner and fewer will die.

Saving money by buying junk food is a false economy. And doubly false because the NHS pays through its nose for "junk"!

9. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

LOL?

We speek proper england ere!

Chav twat!

10. No they, like us, have ISS heater-upers rather than cooks

11. roflmao!!

12. My tip for anyone being committed to an NHS prison ward is this...

order your food off the 'ethnic' menu! Its often ordered in from local restaurants and is WAY tastier than the pap that comes off the normal menu

13. That only works in the Midlands, Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor is a different matter!