NHS Sacks TA Nurse who has just returned from Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nurse, Dec 20, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A TA Nursing officer who has just come back from Iraq has been effectivly sacked by the NHS trust she works for. She is on potl and received a letter from her employers offering her 3 months pay or suspension and disciplinary action for disloyality.
    SABRE can do very little and an industrial tribunral would give her less compensation if she won and even then she would'nt get her job back. Added to that is the gagging clauses most trusts impose would mean she could not discuss it at interview for another job.
    No wonder reservists are now not answering the call as many have realised RFA 96 isn't worth the paper its written on.

2. where about did you get the info on this?? :?

3. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Is there a link yet? If it's true then it's good to see that the NHS has that many nurses that they just don't need some any more.

It sounds like the NHS trust are a pack of cnuts, but I'll wait for more info before shouting that from the rooftops.

4. This really isn't on......

However....

The young Nurse in question should join an agency - stick two bloody great fingers up at the NHS, and go back to work on the same ward for double the money.

RRR

5. That sounds like constructive dismissal grounds to me, or at the very least victimisation on the grounds of service.

6. the problem over that is references and the fact the NHS trust will impose a gaging clause and will probably not give her references.

7. very true canteen cowboy but taking a trust to an industrial tribuneral is a kiss of death on you career and HR depts all talk to one another. It really needs RFA96 to be beefed up with proper protections put in place.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I hate to say it, but this is just the sort of thing that's needed. Support to returning Reservists under the RFA, and crucially from the MoD - is poor, and much case law needs to be made in this area. If you can get any contact details for this poor Nurse, we can (if they wish) put them in touch with people who can hopefully help their case, and - importantly - help make sure this doesn't happen again.

I was roundly fecked about by my employer on return, but not enough to claim effective dismissal, though. I would be very keen - as would many others - to see this sort of thing stopped. God knows, it's only goiong to get worse over the next few years :?

9. I told her about the board and she is net literate so hopefully she'll join up

10. The only way it'll be changed is after major embarassment to HMG

11. Really? They, of all people, ought to know better.

12. WHich trust ? disloyalty when did you take a oath of loyalty to a ****ing nhs trust .I am a nurse and thinking of going back to the nhs but
    trust managament staff put me off with idiotic equal opptunity statements
    and other pc crap which dosent actually change anything hope her union sues :evil:

13. This is a job for.. <gulp> THE PRESS .

Embarrass the barstards by giving putting them in the full glare of publicity.

14. Bravo Bravo agree totally.

15. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Could always get Lorna Fitzsimmons to ask TCH an awkward question in the House