nhs nursing v army nursing

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by paula, Jun 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi im new here and im thinking about a nursing career a friend suggested nursing in the army but what is the difference from civvie nursing? (excluding pay and travel)

2. free clothes
    ring QA recruiting, Ive PMd you their telephone number.

FF

3. thanks that will be more helpful than my nearist afco

4. A damn sight less chance of being made redundant because the local hospital has over-spent by XXX million pounds by buying art for the reception and hiring expensive management consultants....

5. In total agreement with Legs!!!
    I am a student with the NHS, (i'm presuming that u want to start training) good course, (obviously I don't no about army) but there is always a fight for the good hospital places, sometimes about 20 students to a mentor - when that happens on the same day it's a nightmere!!! You do have a wide range of placements etc especially if doing adult nursing! The biggest worry with the NHS is weather u will have a job at the end of three years of work and training! If going the NHS route, research your universities well, you don't want to end up at a really crap one, even though the course is the same the content and examination processess can differ!
    once qualified (as long as u get a job) there are a lot of chances to do other courses etc, but not all of them are free!!

Good Luck!

6. thanks its starting to look like the army is the best choice for nurse training from what i've heard from friends who have went to uni + you get a lot more advantages when joining the army.

7. another couple of good points for you;
    1. Annual Bursary (NHS) or Monthly salary (Army)
    2. Two career paths in the army Officer or Soldier. If you elect for a nursing degree from the outset, you may be eligble to attend the Regular Commissions Board, and if successful, you will commission as a send lieutenant. If you decide to go soldier route, once you have qulaified, you will be promoted straight away to Corporal. Two years after registering as a nurse, agaion you may apply for a commission. Speak to the nurse recruiting team (I noted that you have already been provided with their contact details), they will give you all the info and support you need (I know - I used to do it).

One word of caution though, competition to get into the army to train as a nurse (offcier or soldier) is very stiff, so you need to e well prepared. If you need any help, please let me know.

8. I suggest this website that will asisst you in achieving what is expected of you

Dietary standards for the QAs

9. I’ve done both, as an Army nurse trained in an Army School of nursing at The CMH & Hong Kong it can’t be beaten, for 15 yrs of my career the services looked after its own in its own hospitals, then some twat came up with the idea of MDHUs effectively cheap labour for the NHS, so the remaining 7 yrs I used as the longest resettlement there was, gaining NHS quals so when leaving the services I was able to get a post & grade that surpassed my mil rank & pay.

The difference now is the faceless top corridor is replaced by faceless HR.

However the last 2 yrs I’ve had more job satisfaction than I care to remember all of it NHS time. Admittedly some trusts are having a hard time of it, but not mine. It’s in credit like quite a few enough so that I get a chance to get paid for leaving the job on a sabbatical (most likely in Thailand with a NGO called Siam Care)