NHS Medical Records Going Online?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dangerousdave, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else had a letter in the post?

I've just opened an right odd letter from my NHS health authority telling me, my medical records are being put on an online website/database thingy in June and i must opt out now to stop it 8O . They seem to have made it hard to opt out tho, as one page says fill in the enclosed form to opt out (there isn't one), and the other page says to opt out, contact my GP :roll:

Second thing is.. something in the back of my head makes me feel deeply uncomfortable about my medical records going on the WWW :?

Should i bother go to all the effort to opt out, or just let them do it?

It made me laugh when i read the bit "it will make it easier for you to access your records and read them online" - yeah, right, if i can't read doctors handwriting on paper, how will reading it as a PDF help? :wink:

2. Just my thoughts, how many records help by government, PFI companies, et al have found their way into the public domain? I can't wait to read about how everyone else got their blobby nobs. :lol:

3. I opted out and suggest you all do too (unless you want your details accessible to anyone), My civvy job is in this field and the technology they are using is obsolete already, we stopped using it six years ago because it was compromised.

4. Will everyone be asked consent?
    I will be refusing that consent but I want to know if I will be asked or if I need to contact my GP now.

5. Download this file, fill it in and give it to your GP.

6. We have also opted out.
    Whilst involved in the doomed NPfIT in the NHS we got to saw how badly things go when those in charge get it wrong!!

7. Already opted out along with Mrs Dog, although some BBC radio programmes are suggesting that a lot of records have already been placed into the database without the required option of the opt out being given.

The argument that your records will be available whenever you need them is false.

It appears they have made opting out a difficult process, the necessary forms are not included in the information pack, merely a helpline number or a www address is supplied.

Access to these records is allowed for Hospital Porters and Receptionists. Im not sure I would like these people digging through my clinical records.

8. Thankyou CQMS, I don't want details of all my faulty bits available to all and sundry!

9. I did the same for my docs. I wouldn't trust them with my personal medical details. It was interesting to hear that those being Medically Discharged from service would have all the medical docs put on line without choice...!

10. Having read through the file put forward from the Q bloke (thanks for that) I assume that this is for NHS England and Wales?

11. Just England mate... the Scot's health records will be too massive to put online :wink: :lol:

12. Predictably the system in use for Scotland is different and not yet ready, it will happen in the fullness of time though.

See here.

13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Mrs Baldy & I download the form and opted out last week.

14. We use sunflower oil to deep fry the mars bars nowadays, oh and diet coke with our mega meals, we're healthy :D

15. Thanks for that Q (I would opt out anyways, see my first post about trusting anything on line).