NHS Health and Safety checks - in your home

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rickshaw-major, May 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I agree with your point overall.

The article does, however, include a reference to hard-wired smoke and carbon monoxide detectors being compulsory- and that's not really a bad idea. Considering the cost of them, it would be easy to start by requiring them in new builds, and expanding from there. Combined with a tax break for detectors, it would improve safety and create jobs without costing shedloads.

You're absolutely right about the home inspections though, that's just bloody stupid. Especially as the people most likely to have a dangerous home are chavs and culling them any way we can would be a good thing.
  2. I am sure this will be cut now...but the detectors are a good thing
  3. of course if the numbers of health visitors hadn't been cut to the bone ...

'health and safety inspections' , 'health and safety inspectors' ... classic hysterical journalism

combined with an opportunity for yummy mummies to lech at fit firemen who already do 'fire safety inspections' and 'help plan your escape route' if you ring the services NEN ...
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

does cigarette smoke set these smoke detectors off?
    if so and they are hard wired how would you turn them off? Or is it a backdoor way to ban people from smoking in their own homes now? not that I've had a cigarette since September last year.
  5. Thanks to our wonderful council here in Lancashire, the Fire Brigade installed smoke detectors in our home about 2 years ago, even though we had installed our own - "we have to install a detector in every home".

I had to remove the damned thing recently because the battery had run flat, even though I was assured by the FB that they would never go flat. Cue lots of bloody beeping telling me that the thing had expired.

Fortunately I am agile enough to climb a ladder and remove it from its loc, but what happens to pensioners who are incapable of removal and disposal??

All very well installing the things but who is going to remove them when they pack in??

Not a very well thought out exercise, methinks!!
  6. Arrgh that brings back memories from the past.

Before we had No. 1 son had to go to some NHS run parenting class and listen whilst a pair of keen types explalned how all our houses were deathtraps to small children: really obvious stuff like stairgates, keeping nasty chemical out of reach, cupboard child locks (which are actually more effective as Grandma locks), kettle leads out of reach, guards on hobs smoke detectors etc and to be fair all of that was perfectly valid.

But they then started cr@pping on about how all central heating radiators had to be covered with wooden shrouds, all oven doors needing a fireguard in front of them even if high level, every door in the house fitted with an anti-slam mechanism and a litany of other "safety" measures than were totally OTT.

I particularly found the concept of toilet lid locks a treasure. Imagine staggering blindly, in traditional early hours post on the lash and thermonuclear curry fashion, to the nearest office of comfort only to have to struggle with a device intended to impair easy and rapid access whilst in a state of advanced distress. The horror....

Seems nothing has changed apart from wanting to create more non jobs.
  7. Do you want to buy some magic beans and a winning ticket for next weeks lottery?
  8. Oooooooh, yes, please!!!!!
  9. They should be assessing how safe half of the so called parents are around kids, not the homes!
    Saying that, they would chuck a rare old wobbler if they saw the oven in my kitchen, which is half the way up the wall with a door that opens downwards...right into the chest or head ( depending on your height ) of anyone walking in through the kitchen door. :lol:
  10. What I love is that the checks are to be done by private companies. How many of them will be set up by family & friends of NHS/Council Officials & then contracted to do the work.

The same scam was pulled over the founding of NHS Professionals who are the preferred (for which read pretty much only) suppliers of Agency Medical staff...
  11. My Bold.
  12. Instead of spending millions of £££ leading a project funded by the taxpayer employing several hundred pen-pushers blah blah I have an alternate solution:

Pass a law that invalidates a claim on your Home & Contents if it is discovered that you couldn't be arrsed to get one of these things fitted.

That way all the normal people will already have one fitted, no problem there. And all the lazy fat amoebas that share half a brain cell between a family of 12 can burn in their own gluteus maximus come the time.

13. Whilst I think it's a good idea to publish checklists so that the keen parent can check his own home but to actually have inspections seems unduly intrusive.
    What will annoy me is if the local council take it upon themselves to make all the adjustments necessary to social housing stock. Our local council has recently spent millions putting mod cons into association housing, they're more up to date than many private homes and, of course, so that the chav's beer money doesn't suffer, everything is done completely foc!
  14. A bit OTT and where is the money coming from? Fair enough give them a leaflet but sod the inspections.

Agree with the detectors (both types) these should be fitted as standard as well as sprinklers in all newbuilds.