NHS Disguising Military Medical Staff?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maninblack, Oct 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Over the weekend I had the unfortunate duty of taking a person to an A & E department. As I was in uniform at the time some of the staff were very chatty and seemed quite knowledgeable about the military.

I asked one of the staff if he was TA at which he laughed and confessed that he was Royal Navy even though he was wearing no uniform or indication of his service. i then found out that other members of staff were also RAF and Army but the hospital had dressed them so that they could not be distinguished from the NHS staff.

I have a couple of questions.

1) is this the sign of an NHS trust hiding military staff so that it appears to be a pure NHS hospital and if so for what purpose?

2) Why were so many of the staff working on a Saturday HM Forces? Could it be because the MOD pays a flat rate and the NHS pays extra for weekend shifts?

If this is the case then we have the shameful exploitation of service personel to save an NHS trust a few quid.

(posted here rather than the medical forum as this is a potentially political rather then professional issue)

2. which hospital was that at? FPH military staff all wear uniform no matter what shift or what department.

3. Staff at SO wear rank slides civvy side as well

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

At Peterborough all military staff wear uniform, in the MDHU HQ and on wards and in departments. There have been occasions when staff working at weekends have worn civilian nursing uniform against standing orders, but recently they have been gripped.

There is no doubt that military staff have a lower absenteeism rate than NHS staff, and the temptation to overuse the military must be great. There is active monitoring here to prevent the NHS taking the p*ss by using mil staff to cover for jack civvies, but a recent attempt at it met with a very robust response.

I am aware that some NHS staff dislike the military connection, and the vast majority of them know nothing of the military. I would be totally against wearing of civilian dress at MDHUs, particularly if this is for PC reasons. MDHU Peterborough is in an area where many asylum seekers have been housed, and there are many Iraqis, Kurds, Russians, Albanians etc. etc. The main hospital is in a predominantly asian area; during Telic 1 there was a certain amount of friction, with locals spitting at uniformed staff outside the building. The wounded from the regular internecine wars seem not to mind being treated by military staff, however. We also get the occasional soap-dodger having a pop, but they are usually swiftly removed.

5. maninblack

QA, Portsmouth.

6. the general rule for mil staff is that whilst they are on a recognised shift i.e. their routine working hours, uniform will be worn. If however they are doing bank work, then civvies will be worn. This is direct from the Matrons mouth :wink:

Knowing that this is now QA, there may be a shift for the Trust to exploit the mil staff, much the same was observed during the early days in Frimley Park. This has a tendancy to demoralise the military (hardly surprising :roll: ) but keep the NHS trust happy!

Speaking from experience, the QA is just starting as a MDHU and this would not surprise me if the trend was to "stiff" the military for the crap/weekend shifts.

watch the PVR rate rise :evil:

7. Knowing students and qualified staff who work in QA they all wear their respectave service uniforms. The only exception is when all staff wear scrubs as this is for a hygene reason ie in ITU. Doctors are a law to themselves and oftern where what they like.

8. Come on D-L can it really rise any higher without looking a bit mutinous?

9. further to my last post i can confirm that all staff in A&E wear scrubs.

The reason for it is that patients comming in were demanding to be treated by milatry nurses so the trust has put all staff in scrubs to stop any negativity towards the civi staff.

10. Have heard that aswell, patients found it easier to recognise military nurses as nurses

11. I've found this kind of thing before as well - certainly when I worked for the NHS there was always trouble where people would pick out uniforms from agencies etc and demand to have the right 'kind of nurse'.

It does make some sense to disguise which is which when you have staff doing the same job - uniforms are mostly for the patients' benefit after all.

12. and kinky sex games obviously :twisted:

13. Blatantly! :lol:

14. maninblack

perhaps the real solution is to make nurses and doctors look like professionals again instead of making them wear sub-BBC children's department romper suits.

When you are sick you want to be diagnosed and helped by people who look like they know what they are talking about rather than someone who look like they are about to make a squirrel out of play-do and then sing a song to camera.

15. So is the Green Wing not a factual documentary after all?