NHS dentist (England)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yep - it's always a hygienist these days. Dentist cleaning your teeth have long gone.
Really? I must have words with my receptionist.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Dentists now seem to be too posh to polish so that role falls to a hygienist, at £50 a pop on top of the dentist's fee.
Dentists are now have more the head of a multi disciplinary team.

Dental hygienist, dental therapist, clinical dental technician, oral health educator, oral health support worker, orthodontic therapists, dental radiographer to name but a few

Believe me, the hygienists hourly rate is a lot lower than the dentists!

Here in Budapest I've had to have two sessions of root canal work, each fitting a crown on where the buggered tooth was (mainly repairing the bodge jobs done by the Army dentists).

Cost per entire procedure (4 visits each)? 120 quid. My dentist is about 35 years old, female, stunning (and a redhead), with fantastic norks. Total pain inflicted during the procedures? Zero.

There are dentists here in Hungary which cater for dental tourists (including almost half of the town of Sopron that caters for Austrians and Germans): these are very expensive by Hungarian standards. As I'm married to a local and been here a few years I know some superb local dentists.

Here in Budapest I've had to have two sessions of root canal work, each fitting a crown on where the buggered tooth was (mainly repairing the bodge jobs done by the Army dentists).

Cost per entire procedure (4 visits each)? 120 quid. My dentist is about 35 years old, female, stunning (and a redhead), with fantastic norks. Total pain inflicted during the procedures? Zero.

There are dentists here in Hungary which cater for dental tourists (including almost half of the town of Sopron that caters for Austrians and Germans): these are very expensive by Hungarian standards. As I'm married to a local and been here a few years I know some superb local dentists.
tldr;

Fly to Hungary on a cheap flight then? And enjoy the cheap booze?

That is funny, because, here in Scotland, my Dentist always does my scale and polish, whereas in Houston it was always a Hygienist.

Totally off topic.

When I was a sailorman we called into Houston to drop some drug smugglers off to the DEA but that's another story.

It was a Sunday and I had a bad tooth so the OM arranged for me to see a Houston dentist. Got a taxi to his surgery and it turns out there were no other staff there. They'd all gone to church.

The taxi driver was waiting to take me back to the ship after treatment. The dentist had a poke around in my mouth and decided I needed root canal treatment so he persuaded the cabbie to act as a temporary dental nurse.

Bit of a shambles but my UK dentist was quite impressed with the work when I got home. It cost P&O Bulk Shipping $375 for the dentist and $20 for the cab fare/nursing work

;-)

I had to see a dentist as a molar disintegrated & needed extracting. I'd not long moved to a new area so had to find one.

First stop was a private dentist, should have known better as all the staff were young and beautiful and the waiting room was like a luxury apartment. I just needed my tooth pulled but no, I had to do xrays an interview with my teeth and all sorts of shoite.

End of consultation and I get a 3 figure bill and a list of recommended work for several thousands. I'm beginning to understand the luxurious waiting room now.

Next stop an NHS dentist, gave them a copy of the xrays, and in no time at all the tooth was assessed as too fcuked to do anything with and out it came with no problems, no pain and it had healed up within a few days.

Total cost about £35.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
tldr;

Fly to Hungary on a cheap flight then? And enjoy the cheap booze?
Whilst it is all well and good travelling abroad for cheap dentistry, there are issues with aftercare.
No surgeon ever has a 100% Success rate.
Even if the work is of the highest standard, it will require maintaining.

There are constant issues arising with such patients especially when it has been complex implant and bridgework, where the basic advice is go back to where it was done and get it sorted there.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Totally off topic.

When I was a sailorman we called into Houston to drop some drug smugglers off to the DEA but that's another story.

It was a Sunday and I had a bad tooth so the OM arranged for me to see a Houston dentist. Got a taxi to his surgery and it turns out there were no other staff there. They'd all gone to church.

The taxi driver was waiting to take me back to the ship after treatment. The dentist had a poke around in my mouth and decided I needed root canal treatment so he persuaded the cabbie to act as a temporary dental nurse.

Bit of a shambles but my UK dentist was quite impressed with the work when I got home. It cost P&O Bulk Shipping $375 for the dentist and $20 for the cab fare/nursing work

;-)
When in Orkney used to be a good earner treating the crews and passengers from the various visiting ships. Especially as they were used to US prices!

That is funny, because, here in Scotland, my Dentist always does my scale and polish, whereas in Houston it was always a Hygienist.
I had a scale and polish by my dentist 2 weeks ago. NHS too...
It's hard for me to get an appointment at a dental practice for some cleaning here in London, never mind an actual appointment with a dentist!

I used to shell out about £50 for a weekend private appt. as those were the only ones available..

Went to my new NHS dentist today £22.70 with a polish.

Next appointment for check up, 1 year.

This confirms my opinon that mydentist, europe largest dental care provider was more interested in the contents of my wallet than the contents of my mouth, Bunch of bastard's......
In Hong Kong I can get a full massage followed by a polish for that price.

Sadly dentists are significantly more expensive

It's hard for me to get an appointment at a dental practice for some cleaning here in London, never mind an actual appointment with a dentist!

I used to shell out about £50 for a weekend private appt. as those were the only ones available..
When I lived in London I had the same problem. I found myself traveling from Greenwich to Thamesmead for a check up.

When I moved back to Scotland I got an NHS dentist no problem at all (one block from where I live). I recently broke a tooth and got it repaired (big decking filling) for about £70. If it breaks again the it will be a cap (NHS prices).
The practice appears to be mainly newly qualified dentists.

For the past 9 years I have been querying the charges with "really? That cheap! Are you sure you have not missed anything from my bill???".

My only advice is move north to God's own county and leave London behind as some bad dream....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When I lived in London I had the same problem. I found myself traveling from Greenwich to Thamesmead for a check up.

When I moved back to Scotland I got an NHS dentist no problem at all (one block from where I live). I recently broke a tooth and got it repaired (big decking filling) for about £70. If it breaks again the it will be a cap (NHS prices).
The practice appears to be mainly newly qualified dentists.

For the past 9 years I have been querying the charges with "really? That cheap! Are you sure you have not missed anything from my bill???".

My only advice is move north to God's own county and leave London behind as some bad dream....
There are huge differences between the way NHS dentistry is provided North and South of the Border both in way that patients pay and that dentists are paid. Also in way that patients are registered and what treatments can be provided.

Basically in terms of paying for treatment, England has 3 bands.
Band 1. check up, radiographs
Band 2 Fillings extractions, root canals.
Band 3 dentures, crowns and bridges.

So you pay for whatever band you your treatment is in. You'll pay band 2 whether it is just 1 filling or 7 fillings, 2 extractions and a root treatment.

Scotland is item of Service, each individual element is totalled up, get 1 filling pay for 1 filling, get 7 pay for 7.

In England, any treatment required is meant to be provided under NHS so porcelain crowns on back teeth, white fillings on back teeth are all acceptable.
Scotland we work to a schedule, which is basically a big list of what we can do on NHS, so no white fillings or crowns on back teeth on adults for example.

In England, the dentist is paid by a system called UDAs, Units Dental Activity, a set price is negotiated locally pre UDA and can vary greatly from different parts of the country, this is meant to allow local NHS Boards the ability to attract dentist to areas with more need but can create a postcode lottery as dentists even in same area can be receiving different payments per UDA depending upon contract agreed upon. It has created a huge amount of upset over the years and caused many dentists to leave the NHS.
There can be disparity between what patient pays and what dentist is paid for a course of treatment.

Scotland we are basically paid as per the item of service.

England one s only technically registered for that curse of treatment and every dentist should take on anybody who applies to their practice if they have space in appointment book. this is called access and is often quoted by ppoliticians.
Scotland registration is now for life, a very sneaky political decision made by SNP to increase dental registrations.(basically unlike good old days where you became deregistered if you did not attend, you are now counted as a lapsed registration if you do not attend)

Anybody wants more detail please let me know!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So to summarise, you are saying Scotland has a far better NHS dentistry system and England smells? ;);):)
From a dentist point of view the profession is far happier up here than down South.

From a patient point of view you can have better choice of treatment and occasionally get great bargains on your treatment South.