NHS Computer System

12.4 Billion NHS Computer System

Looks like the NHS are experiencing their own DII saga, only this time the bill is 12.4 billion quid - 2 1/2 times more expensive than our fiasco. Is there an example of an effective government IT Change programme, or are they all doomed to failure? 12.3 billion, the mind boggles.

err the millennium bug was successful, they whittled away something like £240m telling us that all our PC's was gonna crash etc and no real repercussions ever heard about that one..

The NHS has been at this a lot longer than DII, NHS budget started at £2.5 Billion where DII starts at £8.5 Billion. Using the NHS overspend as a guide line DII will reach over £50 Billion and still deliver naff all!

Baldrick66 said:
The NHS has been at this a lot longer than DII, NHS budget started at £2.5 Billion where DII starts at £8.5 Billion. Using the NHS overspend as a guide line DII will reach over £50 Billion and still deliver naff all!
lets not be totally unfair, it has delivered a bar at the bottom of the screen that tells you "There are no serious issues with DII Services", its even more impressive to watch when the network is down!!

canteen_cowboy said:
err the millennium bug was successful, they whittled away something like £240m telling us that all our PC's was gonna crash etc and no real repercussions ever heard about that one..
Rumour has it that a fault light was seen to flicker in a Ptarmigan SFS during the millennium melt down - but that might have been due to an inattentative tech during rsit.

boney_m said:
Baldrick66 said:
lets not be totally unfair, it has delivered a bar at the bottom of the screen that tells you "There are no serious issues with DII Services", its even more impressive to watch when the network is down!!
Are we now talking DII(C) or (F) there is a difference in as much (F) is the one that DCSA are so happy to brag about the 40 live terminals it has.............. erm the same 40 that have failed acreditaion and security testing and so are not on any network to fail!! First two Billion down the drain for the delivery of 40 stand alone machines we could have bought down at PC world for a £500 each :oops:

We could flog them Unicom for half that.

Who the fuck signs the cheques for these procurement programmes????

12.4 billion????? I would love to see the paper trail for that. No doubt it ends at the stern of a 300' Yacht currently summering in Bermuda.

Lord Warner
Health minister

I would stake my reputation that in the long term, this project will pay for itself.
When it does, we will all be living on the planet Zod and using light fucking sabres.

Patricia Hewitt said on the news it was all going well. I'd hate to see it when its going 'Pete Tong'.

12.4 billion????????

I got the Spanish Inquisition for using a hire car for an extra day (whilst on duty).

Funnily enough, I have just heard presentations from all of the major suppliers and each one has said that their bit is on time and on budget....

msr

msr said:
Funnily enough, I have just heard presentations from all of the major suppliers and each one has said that their bit is on time and on budget....

msr
Are you suggesting its a ruse by the media to slate the govn? Or are they (Liabour) just a bunch of swindling cunts?

If its anything like DII there own time.....................remember the promise of first user live by April 1st? Atlas didn't say which year did they???

hey, be fair. JPA can't be compared to this failing IT system. It is so easy to use according to Soldier magazine Voxpop, or was that a staged event ?

Are you confident that it is going to be a great success ....or we will be told at some stage that "there is an unforseen problem" and we will end up with another desktop paperweight like UNICOM.

Like the NHS system, JPA will be about as much use as Eurofighter - but cheaper. I foresee a Grade One Clusterfaux.

agoodgrouping said:
hey, be fair. JPA can't be compared to this failing IT system. It is so easy to use according to Soldier magazine Voxpop, or was that a staged event ?

Are you confident that it is going to be a great success ....or we will be told at some stage that "there is an unforseen problem" and we will end up with another desktop paperweight like UNICOM.

Like the NHS system, JPA will be about as much use as Eurofighter - but cheaper. I foresee a Grade One Clusterfaux.
I wouldn't bank on it being cheaper than Typhoon.................. or Bowman for that matter

Easy to use? I'll let the crabs at work know that, 20 of em and not single one has been paid correctly since April!

I apologise that this is a simplistic view. It's not just the computer systems. All the stuff that's complained about by all the various corps has been happening in the NHS and Education for a long time. I think it's hit the forces a bit later (though really don't have a clue). So much that I read about on here echoes the things I endured as a nurse.

agoodgrouping said:
JPA isnt DII - JPA is a system which falls under the umbrella of the DII Programme. JPA can be compared, for ease of explanation, to arrse. Arrse is an applicaiton that sits on some servers, and we all use different computers and networks to access its services.

JPA has its problems, some of which were inexcuseable at the time of delivery but it is a system that can work, but without the means to access its services its bloody useless.

Government IT projects just seem to be a bottomless pit of mismanagement and financial hell. I say again 12.4 billion!!!!! Spending that amount of money and still be in a state of project failure makes the mind boggle.

Look on the bright side............... JPA has only been live a few months an dwe know it doesn't work that well, the civil service have had HRMS for about four years now and it STILL doesn't work!

IF they they keep to plan for the JPA rollout for the Army and the TA, I would expect by the forever 'Slipping' DII installs 90% of us won't get paid for two years as we've nothing to log onto JPA with!

Well I can account for part of that £12.4 Billion. Over the last few months I've been visiting some NHS Trusts where new data circuits have been installed. At one site the contractors working in the comms suite for the new project did £37Ks worth of damage to the lines while installing plant, even though it had been installed a year ago but not used, hence why they didnt know it was there and damaged it :roll: So my taxes were paying twice for data circuits and rental for a year we reckon around £75k down the drain, the biggest insult was the bloody NHS manager who pulled up in his NHS 06' Audi and complained about the cost!

At another site, the building was being refurbished, when I arrived on site ALL the IT and comms kit had been skipped, including the new stuff which had just been delivered two days earlier :evil: We looked down form the 3rd floor to see two racks a dozen or so Cisco routers, various Muxes, 3 servers and the meridan telephone system all sat in 6 inches of water in a skip, having been thrown from the 3rd floor windows!!! The so called comms manager (who didnt know F**k all about comms) stated " oh I didnt think they were needed, so I told the builders it was all rubbish"FFS, a lot of the kit was leased too. Another £30K they then insisted we replace all the cabling including the feed from the street, kerching another £5k....no wonder our taxes are so high.....

Here is yet another simplistic view.

In the late 80's, the Armed forces had a population of about 400,000 (give or take a few). We were spread over most of the globe (Hong Kong, Gib, BAOR, NI, FI, BATUS, Norway plus countless African areas and many more, not to mention where Grey Funnel Lines were). Everyone got paid on time (RAPC), everyone was admin'd properly (WRAC and the more effeminate Coy clerks), everyone went on leave (most of the time). In the way of IT, the British Army had a grand total of three computers and a handful of photostating machines (Coy Routine Orders typed and printed in purple 'old style font' and copied until the third copy was almost illegable). It worked.

Today the British Armed Forces have approx 180,000 (160,000 of those are TA, civvy cleaners, mess staff and odd blokes who work in stores who walk with a limp). We are deployed in Colchester and the desert (x2). We have at least four chaps in my sub unit who are not getting paid at all (a WOII getting AR payments FFS!), a sqn clerk who is only available for 2 minutes a week, civvies who try as hard as they can to fcuk you over on anything because it is obviously coming out of their own pocket, 34 different 'IT' systems in one office (MOMIDS, CASH, LocalNET, TAFMIS, ALFENS, UTTERSHITENET etc, etc...). I own approx 4 different work email addresses (none of which I know the addresses for). It doesnt work. I very much doubt it will work with JPA.

As with any MoD/Govn procurement, it takes at least ten years before it even sees the light of day because we have to ensure every component has to withstand a 50 gigaton nukleur explosion, 400 atmospheres on the third moon of Saturn, crash testing from a legion of enemy armour, 3000 degrees centigrade for 24 hours, squaddie piss and somebody licking it. The biggest problem of course is the 300 civil servants/contractors/retired Lt Cols/Brigs creaming their bit of the loot from the koffers.

Why dont we just bulk buy from PC world and hook everyone up on t'internet?

Im sure the Non Health Service has the same problems.

Does the MoD tender for its IT systems - if so, don't You think that this is partly to blame. AS an IT tech (albeit unemployed) I try and convince anyone asking my opinion not to purchase such off the shelf products as Dell or HP since they are built down to a price instead of up to a standard, This shows itself in lower standard componants and dodgy reinstallation methods. I have just built a computer for just over the price of the Dell my client was looking at, but with a hard disk she could trust (bigger and faster too), named memory (twice as much as the Dell machine) and a cpu cooler that wasn't going to fail (£20 jobber, but a beaut).

Also, does it ask for references from the companies it hires, proof of completion on time, ability to complete similiar jobs etc etc????

Finally - was there a millenium disaster with the MoD system????

Also, does it ask for references from the companies it hires, proof of completion on time, ability to complete similiar jobs etc etc????
The usual criteria for an MoD contract is a colourful powerpoint presentation, a slap up meal at Mrs Miggins pie emporium and the correct Regt/school tie. At no time is the potential companys previous history, ability or record checked. :) Why should it be? The SO1 who is getting baffled by science is about to become a board member!

Sven said:
Does the MoD tender for its IT systems - if so, don't You think that this is partly to blame. AS an IT tech (albeit unemployed) I try and convince anyone asking my opinion not to purchase such off the shelf products as Dell or HP since they are built down to a price instead of up to a standard, This shows itself in lower standard componants and dodgy reinstallation methods. I have just built a computer for just over the price of the Dell my client was looking at, but with a hard disk she could trust (bigger and faster too), named memory (twice as much as the Dell machine) and a cpu cooler that wasn't going to fail (£20 jobber, but a beaut).

Finally - was there a millenium disaster with the MoD system????
I don't know adout the MOD but the NHS needs to employ you if they are forced into replacing a computer and i mean forced regards the Clinical Areas guess what they buy Dell on visiting the Blood Transfusionn Service they have been set up with new HP as for us peasants at ward level where the patients live we have a printer which was condemned last year, due to be replaced, this is where we print out lab results which believe me matter not getting replace only important items are getting replaced so we either have to hold up the paper tray or roll a draw sheet under it our usual make do and mend, if it's any comfort this is not in England