NHS Bill to be "forced through"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pyianno, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Coalition will force NHS bill on to statute book, says David Cameron | Politics | The Guardian

A Bill which aims to privatise the social provision of health care, which nobody voted for, is apparently going to be "forced through" by the government, regardless of almost unanimous opposition from the professions.

Naturally, this being Britain, the public have had absolutely no say on this farce.

This section of the article really does sum up the dictatorial approach of British politics:

"No 10 acknowledged it may have taken its eye off the ball, allowing opposition to the bill to re-emerge."

So the objective, presumably, was to supress all opposition and force the Bill through to a background of silence.

Lansley, the prick, in case anybody forgot, has his own motives for bringing this Bill to Parliament:

Andrew Lansley bankrolled by private healthcare provider - Telegraph

Unfortunately, yet again, we are having to rely on an unelected House of Parliament to protect us from the worst elements of a shoddy idea cooked up by the "elected" House.

Alas I fear the Conservatives have accepted too much money from private health care providers to drop this Bill.

This is the beginning of the end for the NHS.

• Like Like x 3
  2. So your contention is that our elected representatives made a decision and unelected people who you happen to agree with can't change it?

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

My bold.

I do so very hope so. Get this through to your brain - the NHS is a failure.
    - It does not make efficient, or even slightly efficient, use of the resources thrown at it.
    - It's not been copied as it is crap. Some other Countries may have a similar scheme, but none has anything as inefficient and monolithic as the NHS.
    - It consistently provides healthcare results lower than that of other European Nations.
    - It is ruled by massive vested interests (TUs of the Doctors and Nurses for a start).
    - It has a management system from Hell.

It's crap. Scrap it, copy the French, or German, or Australian, or Irish, or any other ****ing system. The NHS is causing unecessary sufferering and premature death for thousands of peple each year - it's time it was ended.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Rather that an 'elected' government is forcing through a privatisation nobody voted for and an unelected chamber is providing the only effective scrutiny.

Well, even if that were all true (it isn't), there is no public consent for the reform.

5. What, you mean the most important people in the system? I usually prefer systems under the control of the experts that support it. Would you rather trust a politician/admin wonk or a doctor or nurse?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes, and the idea that with this Bill you are not substituting one vested interest (professional colleges and unions) with another (the wallets of the shareholders of private providers) is rather risible.

7. I'd prefer the doctors and nurses to concentrate on their own jobs and leave the management to managers.

8. That's a fair point, and one of the reasons I think the GP consortia idea (already being put in place, never mind this bill) is bonk. However, if there's a toss-up between the two.. It was more a point about whether politicians and clever-**** Oxbridge types who work in think-tanks etc know better than healthcare professionals. The government is also keen to privatise the ambulance service. Stand by to get bent over if you call 999 especially if we copy the Yank system: their EMTs are far less qualified than our paramedics.

9. Does this mean I'll have to pay to get my piles removed?

10. Possibly, if it's judged non-essential surgery.

11. Was the NHS founded to provide free non-essential surgery? Breast implants, gender reassignment, tattoo removal, IVF even? Whilst at the same time we now pay for prescriptions, dentistry, spectacles.

I may sound cynical but having worked in the NHS, It's original remit has changed beyond all recognition. yet many people cling to a view that all medical work done should be free.

I'm all for changes that retain free life saving work by the staff at the front line, and would like to a see a compulsory social insurance scheme for the extras.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Depends upon your definition of "non-essential". Elective surgery I would on the whole not like to see funded through social provision. However the discretion over what is 'essential' is now regional and there is some anecdotal evidence that clinically necessary surgery has been classified as being non-essential, forcing patients to pay for it from their own resources (this includes things such as removal of melanomas, or ingrown nails). There is nothing to stop the exact same clinicians supplying the service on a paid basis.

To that extent, Medicine is going the same way as Dentistry, where a clinician is given total discretion over what constitutes clinical necessity and he can freely place your treatment requirements outside of the locus of necessity and ask you to pay a very substantial fee to access what, by right, ought to be funded socially.

I recently went to a dentist who told me that I require a filling, but that he cannot give me a filling on the NHS for at least six months because he needs to monitor my dental habits over a long period of time, and even after that, the filling would be visibly metallic and not white. Whereas if I paid him a very large sum of money there and then, he could immediately provide the treatment and I could have an enamel-coloured filling.

Medicine very likely to go the same way - indeed, this is the whole purpose of the reforms.

13. The Nhs is efficient and cheaper than most other comparable systems.
    Davies. I'll was not in his manefestio in fact he said another top down reorg was not what the nhs needs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. All excellent points.

My (naive) concern is highlighted by the PIP implant saga where the leading implant surgery outfit (tits-r-us, i think) just threw their arms in the air and said we cant afford to remove the implants, we'll be broke, and flately refused to put things right. OK, it's just boobs but won't that same 'free market' thinking carry on if it's, say, heart surgery.

15. it already does. Private providers fall over themselves to do things like cataract operations because they are (usually) quick, effective and cheap. They steer clear of the complicated stuff because it costs more to do and has a higher risk factor.