NHS - "Best Year Ever"?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo2nothing, Apr 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this on Sky News.

This smacks to me of an effective use doublespeak, newspeak or any other kind of Orwellian distortion of the truth. Honestly, how can this woman go on National Television and not be worried by the chance of her nose growing.

2. Hewitt has not got the real grasp on the NHS. Maybe she never will by the tone of this statement.
    I work in the commercial medical field and regularly have meetings with CEO, Finance and Procurement/Purchasing bods. One central London hospital(a foundation trust) bought technology from us eighteen months ago. Cost £1 million.
    They now cannot afford to pay for the disposable items to perform the surgery. Therefore a massive capital investment will be happily stored in a room and collect dust from now until whenever. :x
    They didn't budget for the ongoing cost and maintenance of the kit. How in the name of sanity do these managers have a job? I would be on the streets if I ran the business that way.

fastmedic

3. Like the Armed Forces, the NHS is simply not a business. There is scope for making efficiencies and for introducing accountability. However, the natural selection inherent in applying the principle of competition means that some poor gits will be saddled with useless services and will not be in a position to "choose" to go elsewhere.

The wheels are clearly coming off the New Liabour project - corruption over "education x3" may lead to the downfall of Bliar, the claim that the economy is "safe" is no longer taken for granted and the "24 hours to save the NHS" has changed into "9 years to fcuk up the NHS".

There is a good article by Simon Jenkins in the Sunday Times today. I like what he has to say about local accountability - decisions on health should be made at a local level, by voters. My former home constituency saw a shock by-election defeat for Liabour over anger at health cutbacks - the seat was taken for granted.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-2147734,00.html

4. Does this strike anyone as sounding like those Communist party proclamations of year-on-year improvement,
    or the Nazi party lies which held that the glorious Wehrmacht was winning in Russia?

How, please, can we get rid of these clowns?

5. Didn't she say that despite the one of the worst winters ever there were no bed shortages?

They must have used a government sponsored weather service that delivered weather to suit or just lied about it.

I don't suppose those being made redundant would agree with the claim 'Best Year Ever'.

Are we supposed to believe that?

Sorry the one brain cell sees through the lies.

6. hmmm..that will be the best year in which I lay in a six bed side-ward with five old dears, all awash in their own piss and unable to get five minutes worth of "there-there m'dear" from the Croatian nurse. I never ever thought when I got that language card in 1995 that I would be using it to ingratiate myself with the Hrvatski whilst in a hospital bed at home!

7. Well, Hewitt may have a point. Here's how it works:-

The government sets targets and gives inducements to have them met. E.g. GPs have to see X% of patients within 2 days in order to qualify for additional payments. Being human, they meet the target. To do this they employ a practice manager; somewhere else someone will be employed to check and someone else employed to authorise the payment. GPs are happy and Hewitt bigs it up to the media.

From the point of view of the patient things are different. Unfortunately, I am a frequent visitor to my GP. The way they meet the target is by not taking bookings more than 2 days out. When the 2 days are full, that's that - call back tommorow. I have a very full work schedule and this is a trifle inconvenient. I'm not going to die if I don't see a GP for a week rather than 2 days but there you go. But the phone lines are constantly engaged from 08:29 to mid morning by which time the 2 days are full and it's "call back tomorrow". Repeat as often as you like. By now I'm not very well, panic is setting in and I have to see a GP as an emergency. The receptionist gives me a little card saying something like "This patient is an oxygen thief, eating someone else's (your) lunch. Treat them accordingly" to give to the doctor. I end up getting additional medication because things have gone too far.

So:-

I have to jerk my work colleagues around.
    The NHS employ practice managers and box tickers rather than operational staff.
    The NHS spend more on my medication than necessary.
    I feel sh!te most of the time.
    The service is complete rubbish but must be OK because the target are being met. So that's alright then.

Not a happy bunny, C.

8. NHS, Police Service, you name it...set targets and then reaching the target becomes more important than achieving the aim. They are not one and the same, despite what most (i.e. human not civil servant/government advisors) people might think. This allows the target of reducing costs by closing wards or police stations or post offices to be met, while people die, can't get cash or have to borrow a phone to report their house has been emptied by burglars again.

Politics eh...the realistic alternative to working for a living.

9. Certainly a cold winter, and colder than any in the last ten years by about 2 degrees C, but worst winter ever? No. I remember 1962/63. Just. A lot of snow in Berkshire! Feet. What did we have this year? Two inches!

Litotes

10. Apparently, a recent published book called "Freakonomics" covers the distortion produced by setting such targets. I haven't read it yet, but it is on my list!

Litotes

11. The reason there were no bed shortages , Were from the reports in the local media all the operation's were cancelled and only emergency patients were admitted.

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Some of the targets are met on paper, whilst not actually changing the situation at all. Take A&E waiting times - once a patient has waited for almost the 4-hour limit, he's moved to an 'observation unit', or a 'medical admissions unit', where he continues to wait, though the A&E target for waiting time has been met.

13. Even the weather isn't safe from being suitably doctored.

Shame the patients can't be suitably doctored.

14. I work in such a unit, (as well as others) and I've seen patients getting shunted out of the assesment unit into other wards far too early because there's another load that have to come in. It's dangerous and puts the next ward under far more pressure than they should be under.

<<She also said "so-called job cuts" in recent weeks mainly affected agency and tempory staff and were reducing a "very innefficient and wasteful form of spending>> Yes, sure, that's why my number of shifts has been cut down and why half of my family and freinds are worrying about our futures. If you want to cut innefficiencies, get rid of the middle management who are turning hospitals into a business, you know its bad when the ward operator is told that a patient has died and they reply "oh good, that's a free bed" :evil:

Rant over. :?

15. Good rant though

It must be difficult having to care for statistics.