NHL - ice hockey and all that.

Any fans of the Calgary Flames in? I've only ever watched one live game of ice hockey in my life and that was a Flames home game against Dallas Stars, I think. It's been over twenty years and my memory may be fading a bit. Though I do remember the Flames winning and I do remember being happy about that.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wow, the Knights win Game 1 of the Cup final. A team that did not exist this time last year.

Great game and 6-4 scoreline reflects the chaotic nature of this game.

Guns - The Canada - Soviet brawl was a blast from the past. Must have been 25 years ago at least but I remember the fight on TV. What Don Cherry would call "Old fashioned rock'em sock'em hockey" but not the kind of hockey I like.

I grew up skating. My dad played high school hockey back during the WW I era (back when each team had a goalie and six skaters on the ice) and later at university. I played high school hockey but spent most of each game on the bench due to lack of talent on my part.

I am primarily a college hockey fan and have had season tickets for Harvard men's hockey for 30+ years and for Harvard Women's hockey for 30 years so have seen lots of good college hockey.

Being from the Boston area I follow the Bruins in the NHL somewhat but never obsessively. This year was different. A boy whose family lives across the street from me was doing very well for three years at Harvard. At the end of the Harvard season the Bruins needed a scorer and recruited him to leave Harvard with a year remaining to his AB degree. I have known him since he was a bump in his mum's tummy and he is a really really nice young man who has "soft hands" and is a sniper on the ice. Also has the ability to get breakaway opportunities. He played for USA in the Olympics this year. I am sorry to see him leave Harvard but this has always been his dream and a two year $950k per year contract is a serious enticement. His dad played NHL, mainly with the Bruins, for 13 years. He plans to finish his Harvard AB with summer school classes at Harvard.

He did very well for the end of the regular season but the Bruin's coach, Cassidy, only dressed him for one game in the playoffs.

Still, I will be following the Boston Bruins much more closely in the future.

PS - the nonsensical show at the beginning of the game in Las Vegas was stupid, home this does not catch on with other teams.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Order is restored.

22712_825023707544662_5127829867649660372_n.jpg
th.jpeg
th-2.jpeg

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Rest of Canada relieved they no longer have to cheer for Boston

The Beaverton

MONTREAL – With the Boston’s 5-1 victory in game seven of the first round of the NHL playoffs, millions of Canadians expressed relief that they no longer have to passively watch and vindictively cheer for the Bruins.
“There’s nothing more that I hate than that pipsqueak Brad Marchand – except for the Leafs,” said Habs fan Jason O’Neill. “I shutter every time that prick scores a goal before realizing its a goal against Toronto. Then I start chanting ‘Go you little shit! Go!’”

Many non-Leafs hockey fans dreaded the prospect of a second round, a feat that would require memorizing new player names to applaud for, but were reassured after the end of the second period in last night’s game.

“Imagine if we had to support Columbus in the next round?” said Cheryl Clarington folding away her Winnipeg Jets jersey. “I don’t even know what state that’s in.”

At press time, Leafs fans didn’t want to talk about it.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was conflicted at first as I dislike Boston but not quite as much as I like seeing the Leafs choke. Still, that John Tavares eh?

Hahahahahahahahahah...

@Guns et al.

I posted about the Bruins several months ago. I have changed allegiance now. The young man I mentioned earlier, Ryan Donato, was traded to Minnesota by the total morons who coach and run the Bruins. The trade was the best thing that could have happened to him. He did not score much with Boston as they had him on the bench with little ice time. Damned hard to score from the bench.
With Minnesota he was getting goals and assists. When Minnesota Wild was knocked out of Cup contention they assigned him to their AHL affiliate, the Iowa Wild which is in contention for the Calder Cup. He is doing well there. Four assists in the first two playoff games. A couple of video clips of Ryan discussing shooting.

Donato 1

Donato 2

Last edited:

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another thrilling Game 7. Current cup holders knocked out. It is wide open and i doubt anyone had this bracket.

My money is on Sharks. Gut feeling.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Bruins v. Blues?

As much as I think Patrice Bergeron is one of the most perfect all around hockey players ever built, I am squarely in the St Louis camp for the Finals.

Sorry @DavidBOC

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bruins v. Blues?

As much as I think Patrice Bergeron is one of the most perfect all around hockey players ever built, I am squarely in the St Louis camp for the Finals.

Sorry @DavidBOC
If, if, I'm pushed, I'll go Original Six over the expansion team and Eastern over Western in this one. Which is annoying, since I'm conditioned to dislike the Bruins as a Habs fan.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I think St Louis is the last Expansion Six team not to have won the Cup?

Plus they have rookie goaltender Jordan Binnington who is just an absolute joy to watch, having given up just two goals in the last three games of the Western Conference Finals.

Bruins v. Blues?

Sorry @DavidBOC

No need to apologize to me, I lost interest is supporting the Bruins when they stupidly traded Ryan Donato to the Minnesota Wild in February. Ryan was not scoring for the Bruins since the coach Cassidy (the moron) kept him on the bench much of the time. He also sent him down to the AHL for a while. Damned hard to get goals or assists when you are sitting on the bench. After the trade Ryan's stats surged, not enough to get the Wild into the playoffs but still impressive. I believe he is a free agent as of the end of the Cup finals. Wondering where he will end up. He left Harvard with a year to go. He took classes at Harvard summer school last year and has scheduled classes this coming summer. He should get his A.B. in another year. We chatted after Sunday Mass .

I was talking to a retired NHL player who is also a retired NHL ref. He tells me Cassidy does not like American kids and does not like college kids, he wants players who have come up in Canadian Junior teams.

n.b. I am not an impartial party in this discussion. Ryan and his family live across the street from me. I have known Ryan since he was a bump in his mum's tummy. A really nice, thoughtful, kind kid. They sort of kid any dad would want as his son's friend or his daughter's girlfriend.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Hell of a thing if he ended up in Pittsburgh.

The Penguins are actively shopping Phil Kessel.

Hell of a thing if he ended up in Pittsburgh.

The Penguins are actively shopping Phil Kessel.
No objection if he ended up with the Pens. At least closer to home and I might be able to get there and catch a game. Anywhere the coach lets him play. He is a real sniper.
As long as he does not end up in Montreal wearing the hated bleu, blanc et rouge sweater.

(Note: earlier I said that Cassidy is a moron. I apologize as that is not a politically correct thing to say. Please change that to "Cassidy suffers from acute cognitive impairment" )

A great series, and a great game seven.

A little disappointed with Boston fans booing ...

Also, if you watched the NBC television coverage, you'll be reminded of why you should never mike the benches or the ice during games. :censored:

@DavidBOC

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
A great series, and a great game seven.

A little disappointed with Boston fans booing ...

Also, if you watched the NBC television coverage, you'll be reminded of why you should never mike the benches or the ice during games. :censored:

@DavidBOC
Just glad that little rat Marchand didn’t get his paws on another cup.