NGO,s advice

shamrock

Old-Salt
been looking at NGOs for a change of scenery. The top 3 or 4 big hitters have insanely high qualifications ie BA Hons and lengthy previous experience in very specific areas, even for the most basic of position. Seems a bit fishy.
Anyone had first hand experience of NGOs and know which ones to avoid?

A good friend of mine was a Hauptmann in the Gebirgsjaeger, running up and down mountains, couple of tours in AFG with their KSK, reached his option point and decided he would leave. He had come into contact with NGO's during his time and was quite impressed by the notion of the work they did and the "quasi-excitment, and doing of good deeds" a job with them appeared to offer. The boxheads do a magnificent resettlement package which paid for him to do some kind of Masters degree in a subject that an NGO said would get him in the door.

After he did his masters he got a job with an NGO and as luck would have it Haiti kicked off after the big earthquake they had. He went over and started to do the NGO thing, another mate of mine who is a boxhead reservist (WO) and mutual friend packed his bergan and hitched over to Haiti too.

They were both disgusted, and saddened by the attitudes, behaviours, and petty corruption that not only ran rampant in the NGO they were with, but also some of the others. The Hauptmann had signed on for an initial 12 months so he stuck it out doing the best he could, the reserve WO stuck around to watch the Hauptmann's back....would you argue with a 6'6" WO who is also a world class IPSC shooter?

Long story short; once he had done his initial 12 months he told them to poke it, and vowed never to work for an NGO again. He now owns a farm and as a side gig teaches boxhead news teams survival in hostile environments.

Note: I was living in Florida when they had the earthquake in Haiti, the airport being used to move people and stuff in and out of Haiti was ten minutes down the road from me. Once I found out the Hauptmann and the big guy were there I made plans to get over to lend a hand for a few weeks - being a qualified plumber. We skyped every so often and I was categorically told by them not to come over.

There was also the scandal of some NGO and hookers, or sex for favours, in Haiti. What I am saying is; nice idea, think about it carefully, and be very careful in your choice of NGO. And, remember, they don't have QRF's.

I've worked for one for 7 years - got to admit mine is great. Get well looked after, good pay, good conditions, good senior level support and all run extremely professionally. I'd say ours is the exception and not the rule, however. While there are other good ones out there, some of them are cowboys and shysters with little to no duty of care or employee welfare and some pretty unscrupoluous operating methods. Many have a (very) high turnover of staff. Be extremely careful who you choose.

Last edited:
Both my partner and I have tried for roles with NGOs and found them hard to penetrate. We’ve both had rejections saying you’re very well qualified, but you’ve got no NGO experience.

It’s a bit of a Catch 22; they seemed to want us to do voluntary work at a lower level to gain experience. A bit pointless for my OH who is a veterinarian.

Both my partner and I have tried for roles with NGOs and found them hard to penetrate. We’ve both had rejections saying you’re very well qualified, but you’ve got no NGO experience.

It’s a bit of a Catch 22; they seemed to want us to do voluntary work at a lower level to gain experience. A bit pointless for my OH who is a veterinarian.

Morning @bobthebuilder,
Send her over here;) and maybe she could sort out the septic owned shitshow that alludes to provide a street dog 'rescue' service.

The :censored:s.

A good friend of mine was a Hauptmann in the Gebirgsjaeger, running up and down mountains, couple of tours in AFG with their KSK, reached his option point and decided he would leave. He had come into contact with NGO's during his time and was quite impressed by the notion of the work they did and the "quasi-excitment, and doing of good deeds" a job with them appeared to offer. The boxheads do a magnificent resettlement package which paid for him to do some kind of Masters degree in a subject that an NGO said would get him in the door.

After he did his masters he got a job with an NGO and as luck would have it Haiti kicked off after the big earthquake they had. He went over and started to do the NGO thing, another mate of mine who is a boxhead reservist (WO) and mutual friend packed his bergan and hitched over to Haiti too.

They were both disgusted, and saddened by the attitudes, behaviours, and petty corruption that not only ran rampant in the NGO they were with, but also some of the others. The Hauptmann had signed on for an initial 12 months so he stuck it out doing the best he could, the reserve WO stuck around to watch the Hauptmann's back....would you argue with a 6'6" WO who is also a world class IPSC shooter?

Long story short; once he had done his initial 12 months he told them to poke it, and vowed never to work for an NGO again. He now owns a farm and as a side gig teaches boxhead news teams survival in hostile environments.

Note: I was living in Florida when they had the earthquake in Haiti, the airport being used to move people and stuff in and out of Haiti was ten minutes down the road from me. Once I found out the Hauptmann and the big guy were there I made plans to get over to lend a hand for a few weeks - being a qualified plumber. We skyped every so often and I was categorically told by them not to come over.

There was also the scandal of some NGO and hookers, or sex for favours, in Haiti. What I am saying is; nice idea, think about it carefully, and be very careful in your choice of NGO. And, remember, they don't have QRF's.
Rwanda 94/95, Landcruisers, parties, trips up to the mountains with champagne to watch the sun rise with their diplomat and senior military buddies...

I would not urinate on said folk if they was enflamed!

964ST

LE

What is NGO?

sounds ace ?
Yeh it was a nice cabby, but I was being paid by the tax payer.

I don't think those donating their hard earned to charity realised it was going to be spent on living the High life by a few graduates.

Edit, saw the Gorilla's in the mist too. The real ones not the film!

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer

Similar experience just over 20 years ago. I have a BSc and MPhil in engineering. When I left my last big company employer one of the options was a well known NGO. They wanted to have me as a "volunteer" being paid board and lodgings effectively whilst doing a job that I'd been paid £40k a year for previously.

"Ah, but you've no NGO experience so you'll have to come in at a lower level ..."

No names but I later did some research into them and found that the "trustees" were all knocking off £80 - £120k per year and taking multiple jollies e.g. flying first class, having business jets "loaned" to them so they could go on "fact finding" missions [read for this adventure holidays].

May I also mention that certain celebs were also in on this and "loaning" aircraft and even private yachts to the NGO and claiming it as a tax break charitable donation.

I'm very glad that I didn't sign up and instead met up with my present colleagues in the local pub.

If you're going to sup with the devil use a very long spoon.

What is NGO?

non government organisation: charities who insert themselves into disaster and war-zones to help the population, allegedly.

Similar experience just over 20 years ago. I have a BSc and MPhil in engineering. When I left my last big company employer one of the options was a well known NGO. They wanted to have me as a "volunteer" being paid board and lodgings effectively whilst doing a job that I'd been paid £40k a year for previously.

"Ah, but you've no NGO experience so you'll have to come in at a lower level ..."

No names but I later did some research into them and found that the "trustees" were all knocking off £80 - £120k per year and taking multiple jollies e.g. flying first class, having business jets "loaned" to them so they could go on "fact finding" missions [read for this adventure holidays].

May I also mention that certain celebs were also in on this and "loaning" aircraft and even private yachts to the NGO and claiming it as a tax break charitable donation.

I'm very glad that I didn't sign up and instead met up with my present colleagues in the local pub.

If you're going to sup with the devil use a very long spoon.

Yep, celebs who are put on the boards of NGO’s and get to generate some self publicity when appearing on telly, or the news spouting for said NGO. Meanwhile, as you said, using their yacht/jet/third home in Antigua for alleged NGO business at a tax write off of $200K a day.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Couple more points on Haiti and how effective the multitude of NGO’s were:

1. After my Hauptmann mate and the big guy had binned off Haiti I happened to attend an advanced shooting skills course with a Swedish chap. The Swede was the UN CP team leader for Haiti, he told me the place was an entire bag of corrupt bollocks.

2. I watched a BBC programme about Haiti. The presenter was the first BBC reporter to have landed on Haiti after the earthquake. His report was to look at Haiti 12 months after. He spent a bit of time comparing the film taken 12 months previously with how the place had been cleaned up. Only it hadn’t. He would go point at a pile of bricks, piece of wood, or discarded oil drum and then show the footage from 12 months previously, same crap same place. Nothing had moved, in many cases roadways not cleared, no attempt to salvage, or rebuild. His message was that it was basically a bollox from top to bottom.

Last edited:
I detest people who make a fortune out of other peoples misfortune and misery. The majority of NGOs seem to fit right in there.

I detest people who make a fortune out of other peoples misfortune and misery. The majority of NGOs seem to fit right in there.
Don’t tar them all with the same brush. Some genuinely want to help and many staff put their lives at risk to help others (which is what you said to be fair).

Don’t tar them all with the same brush. Some genuinely want to help and many staff put their lives at risk to help others (which is what you said to be fair).
Hence my caveat mucker. I realise there must be many, many good people within the NGO set up, trying to do the right thing, it’s those on the ‘gravy train’, far away from the sharp end, yet being rewarded astronomical money ( notice I didn’t say earning) that make my blood boil. I suppose that sort are everywhere, not just in NGOs!

Hence my caveat mucker. I realise there must be many, many good people within the NGO set up, trying to do the right thing, it’s those on the ‘gravy train’, far away from the sharp end, yet being rewarded astronomical money ( notice I didn’t say earning) that make my blood boil. I suppose that sort are everywhere, not just in NGOs!
I hear you. Multiple hundreds of thousands of pounds Is not uncommon for those at the ‘top end’ of NGO management, and they’re sat in the US/UK/Europe.