Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFA med-discharge from Royal Marines

I was medically discharged from the royal marines at week 9 of training just last week, it was for having left ankle and knee pain, normally this wouldnt result in a medical discharge but i sprained my ankle over 5 years ago and they saw that on my medical records. The medical officer said its best off that you go away and rehab this yourself and come back when you feel fit and fixed. Problem is i moved from australia to do this and dont have anywhere near the funds to move back there and at the end of the day just want to be a soldier.

Question i wanted to ask is would i have any problems going for an army regiment like the yorkshire regiment or the coldstream guards right away?

Any help would be much appreciated, thankyou

You're fishing,aren't you.

My GUESS (and it is no more than that) is that they will say "no"- on the grounds that they require similar med standards. But go to a careers office and ask the question.

Your best option may be to take a few months out, get a temporary job, and get yourself 100% fit. But the reality is that a bad sprain takes a long time before you are ready again for the intensity of military training.

And if you're going to join the Army, at least go to the RIFLES mate. You won't be the first Aussie there! Unless you want to guard palaces in which case RIFLES would be a very bad choice.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suspect many of us would join the Australian Army if we had the choice. Perhaps you should consider that.

Just to add, from an RN/RM perspective, it is unusual to medically discharge someone beyond day 56 of Recruit Training...unless is was an undisclosed, pre-existing recurrent (chronic) injury.

The RM are particularly risk averse to lower-limb injuries & as stated above, the medical standards for entry, JSP950 (which is on this forum) are tri-service, so an Army infantryman is likely to require the application of similar medical standards.

Either way, the Army will acquire your RM med docs upon application. Whatever the result, best of luck.

I suspect many of us would join the Australian Army if we had the choice. Perhaps you should consider that.

See below in my bold

Just to add, from an RN/RM perspective, it is unusual to medically discharge someone beyond day 56 of Recruit Training...unless is was an undisclosed, pre-existing recurrent (chronic) injury.

The RM are particularly risk averse to lower-limb injuries & as stated above, the medical standards for entry, JSP950 (which is on this forum) are tri-service, so an Army infantryman is likely to require the application of similar medical standards.

Either way, the Army will acquire your RM med docs upon application. Whatever the result, best of luck.

Yep, goes the same in oz. 'They' - Defence Force Recruiting will obtain med docs from the UK. This is all assuming that you state on the application previous service , ADF and/or foreign. You could try being 'fast & loose' with the truth, but will only in in tears if found out. Aust army is a bit 'funny' about integrity violations.

Latest Threads