Nexus 7" Tablet

Just announced by Google is their 7" tablet

Google I/O Google has used its annual developer conference, Google I/0 2012 in San Francisco, to announce its long-expected tablet, the Nexus 7, along with a new 4.1 build of Android (codenamed Jelly Bean) and a hackable home streaming Android computer called the Nexus Q that is shaped like a ball.

Built by Asus, the Nexus 7 packs a quad-core Tegra 3 processor and a 12-core graphics processor with a 7-inch 1280 x 800 HD screen. Claimed battery life is good for nine hours of video viewing.

Near field communications (NFC) is built in to the 7, along with an accelerometer and a gyroscope, and it costs $199 for the 8GB version and $249 for 16GB, with a $25 gift card to buy media or apps and a few free films, books, and magazines thrown in.

Hugo Barra, director of product management at Android, said the purpose of the tablet is to build a high-definition unit that shows off the best of graphics and gaming. Its price pitches it firmly against Amazon and other ebook readers, but it may also scoop those interested in trying a cheap tablet before investing in a larger system.

To that end, Google has done deals with film and TV producers, as well as magazine publishers like Conde Nast, to add content to the device via the Google Play store.

The tablet runs the latest Android build, codenamed Jelly Bean, which ix released in July; Google is making the software developer's kit available now.

Google is also prepping a platform developer kit with future Android builds, to be released months before the next operating system build goes live, so manufacturers can tune their devices to the new code.
Tempted, moi? Oh yes, in fact I'm currently fighting an extremely strong urge to pre-order!

I cracked about 20 minutes ago ....... watch out for the £9 delivery though

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I am equally sorely tempted, or should I say WAS until I realised there is no capacity for external expansion (i.e. MicroSD), so whilst the hardware looks attractive you can see what their business model is: Develop a low storage capacity solution [8 or 16Gb will not hold many apps and HD quality videos] and hence drive people to use cloud services that they will have to pay for.So, in my view the hardware is a loss leader to enable greater market penetration and exploit service delivery.Dear god, reading that back I realise I sound like the tech support I'm surrounded by - I need to get out while I can...

Still an Ipad for me, Iphone, Imac and Mac bookpro never had a problem away from Windows.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Colleague in the US Embassy has just sent an email after a very favourable hands-on session with the Nexus 7 at a trade show (in Chicago I think). His only quibble was the same as mine - lack of external storage. We both thought ROOT then use some existing solutions to mount a USB device but the drawback to that is a lot of new apps (particularly banking apps) will not run on rooted devices. But that aside, if you're after a small form tablet and don't want to move lots of media/files/apps it does sound like the Nexus could be a real winner.Anyway, my XOOM was updated to ICS last night; its now blisteringly quick, plays all my media and apps, so I think I'll stick with this for now. Can't see any reason to move.

Slightly annoyed, pre-orded mine through PC World and it hasn't turned up, guess Google have taken marketing tips from Apple. Anyone actually get there's delivered yesterday?

Ok Android, you chopper, no virus for us Mac people.
What is it with these mongo apple people thinking that they are virus immune? There was one not so long ago on some apple poop that took apple 2-3 weeks to figure out. If you have a computer, you can get a virus. Computers run on programming code, which is written by humans and as such you have other humans who can write stuff to cause harm aka virus.
All this apple doesn't get viruses ignorance will hopefully be the downfall of apple and their shite.

Getting slightly back on topic. Despite some fairly well documented issues with Google's management of their shipping versus expectations, mine arrived yesterday and it is pretty damn impressive. More to follow in due course but it's the first Android tablet I've seen that is on a par with an Ipad.

P

PrinceAlbert

Getting slightly back on topic. Despite some fairly well documented issues with Google's management of their shipping versus expectations, mine arrived yesterday and it is pretty damn impressive. More to follow in due course but it's the first Android tablet I've seen that is on a par with an Ipad.
I look forwards to hearing the details. Is the performance as good as it says? I imagine the battery won't last on it.

Details god damn you! Now!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 16
Bad CO Mobile Phones 10
P Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4