Next: Female Gurkhas...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hansvonhealing, Nov 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Sunday Times
    November 26, 2006

Advance of the girl Gurkhas
    Dean Nelson, Delhi

THE Gurkhas, famed for their ferocity on the battlefield, are to recruit their first women soldiers.
    British diplomats in Nepal, where more than 200 soldiers are taken on each year, confirmed plans to scrap selection rules that have kept the Gurkhas an all-male bastion since 1816.

As the news leaked in Kathmandu last week, the embassy was inundated with inquiries from women and had to post signs saying the plans had yet to take effect.

The decision to bring the Gurkhas into line with the rest of Britain’s armed forces emerged in a review now awaiting ministerial approval.

“Next year we should expect that there will be girl Gurkhas,” said Colonel Jeremy Ellis, British military attaché and the commander of British Gurkhas in Nepal.

Women will be able to compete for places in the Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment, the Queen’s Gurkha Signals and the Queen’s Gurkha Engineers — but not in the infantry arm, the Royal Gurkha Rifles. British women will be able to seek commissions.

“We don’t have women in infantry regiments in the British Army but girls do very well in the Nepal army,” said Ellis.

Some commentators have expressed doubts about whether women would be able to meet the rigorous standards of physical fitness required — applicants must be able to run up mountains carrying 77lb backpacks.

Ellis said that Nepali women matched men for strength. “In Nepal it’s the women who do the heavy carrying up the hills, and they’re capable of carrying whatever we need them to,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2471864,00.html

2. Bloody hell! Good on them.

3. I can't see this being universally approved by the Gurkhas. I have spoken to some on this matter and I see reactions to this being mixed.

Whilst the girls of Nepal do indeed work hard, I can't see them being accepted quickly in to the Brigade. Also all Gurkha recruits go through Infantry training, regardless of eventual capbadge, how will the female recruits be trained?

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Why in God's name are we going down this PC line cr@p? What is the MODs priority of recruiting? Anyone out there tell me?

I am presuming this is getting some over the hill O-5/6 hidden away in the recruiting world something on the Honours List for "innovative solutionering" to the manning crisis. The feminist tree hugging "equality is all" tossers will love it. Have people actually looked at the cultural difficulties this could cause?

[/quote]Also all Gurkha recruits go through Infantry training, regardless of eventual capbadge, how will the female recruits be trained?

5. A female Gurkha Chef at every unit would mean Bhat on the menu every day. Would get my vote...

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

That I would accept! :D

7. ITC

In which way do You think that Nepali women will have to avail themselves of a "downgraded training regime". Certainly not in the carrying heavy weights department - they already do that much more than the men. Perhaps they have more trouble running on flat ground than their male counterparts (I am assured this is a test potential recruits have to pass)

8. Also all Gurkha recruits go through Infantry training, regardless of eventual capbadge, how will the female recruits be trained?
    Why should we be the only ones to put up with the PC crap.....come on spread the love, so the Bde can see just why we are so pished off half the time.

Seriously though, why the f*ck not. We've had female soldiers for ages, there are Commonwealth female soldiers, Christ we've got hard core lesbians, single mums and even QA's who play hard to get, so why shouldn't the Ghurka's have some as well.

It'll fit in with Diwali if nothing else.

9. I would re-enlist just to eat in the same cookhouse.

10. Your last point just cracked me up AB

:D :D :D

11. heres all those now unemployed maoists :?
    couple of platoons of those will surely want to have words with the women hating taliban types :twisted: although blair may not fancy fancy a marxist style self critiscmn photo op :twisted:

12. Gets my vote

13. Can't see a problem if they're (Nepali women) going into Signals or Logistics where women already serve.
    Wonder if the Indian Army recruit Nepali women and if they complete the same selection process as male recruits?

Uniharu sipahi hoinan!

14. It isn't a new thing there were Gurkha females in the WRAC and QA, in small numbers, in the Far East in the 50's 60's and early 70's.