newsreaders refuse to wear poppies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trotsky, Nov 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is from www.thisislondon.com

Newsreader Jon Snow rails against 'poppy fascism'
    Add your view

Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow is today at the centre of a row after he hit out at "poppy fascism".

He vowed he would not wear the Remembrance Day flower on-air - and slammed the "unpleasant" attitude of those who insist he should.

He has fronted the evening news with a bare lapel, despite the decision by some TV colleagues to wear poppies. While admitting opinion was "bitterly divided", he said: "I do not believe in wearing anything which represents any kind of statement."

More here...

• Tube bosses ban poppy seller as charity face dramatic shortage of sellers

• Duke of Edinburgh honours war dead

Writing on a new blogsite set up by Channel 4 News, the 59-year-old also criticised the BBC's decision to allow newsreader Fiona Bruce to wear a crucifix. "Fiona Bruce is to be allowed to continue to wear a cross-shaped item of jewellery," he said.

"I am allowed to wear unspeakably bright ties. But there's a world of difference there that we should be assertive about." He said he was often "begged" to wear symbols, from Aids ribbons to Marie Curie flowers - but would never agree. "And in those terms, and those terms alone, I do not and will not wear a poppy.

"There is a rather unpleasant breed of poppy fascism out there - 'he damned well must wear a poppy!' I do, in my private life, but I am not going to wear it or any other symbol on air. "I respect our armed forces, the sacrifice and the loss, and like others I remember them on Remembrance Sunday."

However, More4 News host Sarah Smith said: "I agree newscasters shouldn't wear all sorts of political or charitable adornments ... but I think poppies are different. They are so ubiquitous for the first 11 days of November that not wearing one makes more of a statement than having one on." She said many viewers assumed Snow was "taking a stand against militarism or the Iraq war".

One viewer responding on Snow's blogsite said he was "disgusted" at the newsreader's attitude. Another wrote: "You conform by wearing a shirt and tie to read the news, why not wear a poppy too? If you truly were an impartial and free spirit you'd tell us the news sat there in a T-shirt and Bermuda shorts."

Channel 4 correspondent Lindsay Taylor said he too would not wear a poppy on screen, and said bosses had left the choice up to staff.

A spokesman for the Royal British Legion said he did not recognise claims of poppy fascism. "I don't know where that has come from. We certainly don't prescribe who wears a poppy or how or where or why."

2. Fcuking ******. Email time...

3. I understand his point about charities all wanting him to wear their symbols, but the poppy represents more than 'just' a fund-raising tool.

As an aside, I wondered if there was some kind of code regarding the poppy leaf pointing downwards as so many meeja-types are wearing it that way...

4. I was watching hollyoaks (for the honeys - honest) and the little boy was going on about his civvy parents killed in a car crash being remembered on rememberence day. I meant to email them and shimf then but I forgot. Watch my tracer...

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

It boils down to a simple lack of respect for those who sacrificed their lives to allow this country to have the society it has.

"I do not believe in wearing anything which represents any kind of statement."

What a kn0b.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Quite correct D.B.
    To me it shows you care,besides,what makes wearing a poppy any less different than those little stickers given out by other charities like Cancer Research,ect that get pinned on you by the little old lady in the high street?
    Nothing in my book!

7. :x :evil: :x

8. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Not that I was watching Hollyoaks, :oops: but that got me too, as did the scene where the kids were on lunchtime detention and were told to write an anti-war poem!

9. actually i respect his view entirely. moreover i respect his reasoning as having to be seen to be utterly impartial in the position he occupies with the rersponsibilities it entails.

would it be appropriate for him to wear any form of political emblem just because 'everyone' supported that particular viewpoint?

some do view wearing a poppy - particularly a red poppy - as an announcement of political view. that they have a right to do so must be inherent in our liberal democracy. personally i don't believe it carries the message that some believe it does, but i understand why they think that.

you may or may not agree with their rationale for thinking that way, but you have absolutely no right to deny them that freedom that very many young men died to ensure - or is it freedom of expression and political belief: as long as it conforms?

10. If I put aside the fact that it is the Poppy that he is speaking of in this instance, I do support his stance about being plastered with symbols pushed onto him. As I read it, he wears one in his 'civilian' persona so he has contributed. I do not always transfer mine from jacket to jacket or from jacket to top coat so could be viewed as a non-believer but this is not correct.

11. Well done, Cokecan, for putting your head above the parapet! I don't agree with his not wearing a poppy, but understand the logic involved.

12. I have more time for a news reader who personally understands the significance of the poppy and wears on “Off Duty” than a presenter who wears one because it is the “thing to be seen doing” but gives not a rats arrse as to the meaning.