Newspeak on ARRSE

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Enlightenment, Jan 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if it just me, and I'm not sure if others will consider this serious enough for this forum, but I cannot stand the constant made up names for New Labour.

I am no apologists for them, they deserve all of the abuse that they get and are a woefully weak government: immoral, double standards, unimaginative, arrogant, controlling, bullying, incompetent. All of these apply and I am sure that there are many more.

The constant drip-drip-drip of "ZANU-NL" ZPF New Liarbour" etc. etc smacks of the very simplistic propoganda tools which I find offensive on two levels.

Firstly, I am quite capable fo understanding what a woeful gang they are - I don't need your tortured spellings to remind me, thank you very much. Secondly, and more seriously, it belittles some very good debate which goes on ARRSE.

On an intelectual level, the constant references in this manner are right up there with Ann Coulter, The Free Republic et al constantly referring to B Hussein Obama.

Give it a rest. They're New Labour. They're crap. We know.

2. Watch & Shoot, targets will fall when hit...

3. I know.

Couldn't stop meself.

It's been nice knowing you. Tell my wife etc etc

4. 1 word suggestion. Coat.

:p

5. Well said. Maybe they can also give it a break with the 'Outrage Bus', 'Wah-o-meter' and the ubiquitous but frankly grating..'RIP Sir'.

6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I think they refer to themselves as LABOUR. I however I just see them as a centre wing sub unit of the Conservatives due to their uncanny ability to steal others ideas.

7. Totally agree.

8. A good point, granted. However, you could just as easily stay out of the areas that those particular lines are used? I don't actually recall any mention of the outrage bus recently, or any of it's sub-versions (Tractor, tank, etc.)

9. And you could take your nose for a pish.

10. Fair point Enlightenment! I'm happy to raise the level of debate and refrain fromuse of such terms in future. I have to admit nothing grates me more then the way Fox News use the word 'liberal' like its dirty.

But I still reserve the right to label them 'cnuts' when the blood boils over.

11. No because I tend to kill those posts at birth.

Enlightenment , Good point well made, thread stays for the enlightenment (hehe) of others.

12. I see no reason not to use names like that. They are at least mildly amusing. Just accept it as an insulting nickname, rather like the ones private eye levels at, well, everybody.

13. Outrage Boeing 747 I think is the most effective.

14. 8O I never thought I'd see the day, when political correctness reached the realms of ARRSE ..... I need to go and lay down and talk to Nursey :wink:

Edited for mong use of emoticons

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I'm sorry Lord Mandleson. Promise I won't do it again (until I feel like it).