Newspapers article indicates lower pass rate for candidates at AOSB

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by JC110, Dec 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought this might be of interest to some.

JC

"More Sandhurst applicants rejected
    Published on Thursday 1 December 2011 11:16

Potential Army officers are finding it harder to get into Sandhurst, figures show.

Two-thirds of applicants to the prestigious Royal Military Academy were rejected this year, compared with four out of ten four years ago.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) revealed 499 out of 1,527 applicants - fewer than one in three - won places this year, compared with 608 out of 1,068 in 2007-8.

Statistics uncovered after a written Parliamentary question also show the number of would-be officers applying to Sandhurst, where Princes William and Harry trained for their military careers, has fallen from a recent peak of 1,861 two years ago.

Armed Forces Minister Nick Harvey said: "Those who are found unsuccessful at any stage of the officer recruitment process will be given feedback on where they have not met the required standard.

"Those who attend Army Officer Selection Board and are unsuccessful are rarely rejected outright.

"Their application will usually remain open, should they at some point decide to reapply."

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2011, All Rights Reserved."

More Sandhurst applicants rejected - News - Stamford Mercury

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The Army is down-sizing. WTF did you expect

3. Also in the current economic climate more people are applying.

4. I was not posting the link because I thought this to be an abnormal finding. At a time when the Army is making cut backs it would make sense that recruitment all over the board be more stringent and restricted. It has been mentioned on here several times before; applications are up, but not necessarily with quality candidates. I didn’t pay it much thought but I guess its a little interesting that there has been nearly a 20% drop in applications in the last two years though.

My main reason for posting here was because this is an area new applicants come to find information on recruitment and selection, and I thought the figures might interest those in the early stages of the process or considering applying. From searches I remember a frequently asked question on the forum is the pass rate at AOSB.

5. Bad news indeed.

My application is going through shortly; A little disheartening to hear that the bar has been raised but if I felt I would fall short of that bar, there would be absolutely no point in applying.

All this means is that every potential applicant needs to firstly think, are they willing to put the hard work in to meet the criteria and secondly; if they doubt themselves even in the slightest, it may not be the career for them.

6. That is very unlikely so do not throw your hand in.

All you have in that article is a few bare statistics with none of the reasons for the apparent drop in successful candidates.

It could simply be a lower quality of candidate or less training places available.

The only way you will find out is to go to Westbury and try it out.

7. I always wonder why people need to know those odds...

Pass rate is simple. 100% of quality candidates we have places for will get in. 100% of those who aren't good enough to win a spot wont get in.