Newsnight tonight 13 July

Poppy said:
Special edition on Afghanistan
Anyone see Gordon squirming on News at Ten when asked if he could sleep at night after cutting the chopper budget by 1.2billion in 2004? Brilliant viewing.

Good to see the first 20 minutes of the program was dedicated to AFG as well.

Fantastic interviewing, it is all about the question with brown, he never gives an answer. 75% of poll said British troops under-equipped. Brown is in the s**t.

Big day tomorrow.

MikeMcc said:
ITN seem to be much more positive in their reporting and less afraid to tackle the Government than the BBC

I've just flicked through channels BBC 1, 2 and ITV and all had coverage of AFG showing, very good to see.

IT_Guy said:
Poppy said:
Special edition on Afghanistan
Anyone see Gordon squirming on News at Ten when asked if he could sleep at night after cutting the chopper budget by 1.2billion in 2004? Brilliant viewing
Certainly did. Didnt know where to look did he ??, here's hoping for a few more of those types of moments in the following days and weeks. God I hate that man, he is just slime.

Newsnight put together the A team; Ed Butler, Rory Stewart and Richard Holmes.

Rory Stewart's verdict, it can't be done. When asked if he was a defeatist, he answered, "you have no moral obligation to do what cannot be done."

Didn't look too hopeful to me, even Ed Butler was keen to lower expectations. Stewart forcefully made the point that Britsh Govt is looking for an elegant solution to get out of Afg, stating that many in Govt do not believe in the project.

My heart goes out to anyone putting their life on the line in Afghanistan tonight, if this is a tipping point, it looks as though the whole operation could be in doubt, it certainly does not look as though the British Govt is full square behind its troops. Disgraceful.

God i neally launched the tv out of the window what a snivelling wretch that Bill Rammell is, it sickened me to hear him trying to squirm out of answering the questions good one Paxman

Yes... I must watch this.... Paxo is good at putting some of the Liabrore Snot-gobbling Personages in a difficult position. Whats the betting Cyclops will push some Junior Minister to take all the flak next.

Wednesdays PMQs is going to be interesting assuming the Boy Dave has 'fire in his belly' and the 'cojones' to suggets Mcruin is a tw*t. Maybe Mcruin will have 'man flu' this week, he is looking a bit peeky and off color, or is that just bad makeup... and PMQs will be taken by Haridan Harperson?? :lol:

all new labour are turds, i'm sick with myself for voting for cash grabbing arrseholes.

i've noticed that labour MP's can either only smile insincerely not be able to smile at all.

nigegilb said:
Newsnight put together the A team; Ed Butler, Rory Stewart and Richard Holmes.

Rory Stewart's verdict, it can't be done. When asked if he was a defeatist, he answered, "you have no moral obligation to do what cannot be done."

Didn't look too hopeful to me, even Ed Butler was keen to lower expectations. Stewart forcefully made the point that Britsh Govt is looking for an elegant solution to get out of Afg, stating that many in Govt do not believe in the project.

My heart goes out to anyone putting their life on the line in Afghanistan tonight, if this is a tipping point, it looks as though the whole operation could be in doubt, it certainly does not look as though the British Govt is full square behind its troops. Disgraceful.
Haven't seen the broadcast as am overseas, but will watch this with interest on my return to the UK.

Fully support Nige's comments here, re Rory and Co.

It really is about time, that Brown started to listen to the likes of Rory - his knowledge of the situation iin Afghanistan s pretty much without equal.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Bill Rammell was asked why it took 1 year to get 3 (was it 3, I can't recall) Merlins from Iraq to Afghan, and he fudged it completely.

Kept banging out the '60% increase in helicopters since 2006' or some crap like that. Well 60% of virtually fcuk all is still not very good is it Mr. Mouthpiece? It was painful to watch. That retired Para Captain came out and vritually called him a liar too, saying there wasn't even enough air support to ferry the Company's to and from the front line.

Basically, ZanuNL want to come out and say 'we can't afford wars, we don't want to be there, but we are politically tied over a barrel due to Tony taking it *********** from Georgie boy'. And they also don't want an Army, or to have to pay for it. They'd much rather give it away free to Brussels. And spend the money on asylum seekers and migrants (their core voters).

The obscenity of the current situation, is that it takes the spike in fatalities for the media to start nailing the issues and putting the government under the spotlight and demanding answers.

It speaks volumes about the news media, and also proves the government's ignorance of the issues very clearly.

Lions led by Donkeys does not even come close.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Command_doh said:
Bill Rammell was asked why it took 1 year to get 3 (was it 3, I can't recall) Merlins from Iraq to Afghan, and he fudged it completely.

Kept banging out the '60% increase in helicopters since 2006' or some crap like that. Well 60% of virtually fcuk all is still not very good is it Mr. Mouthpiece? It was painful to watch. That retired Para Captain came out and vritually called him a liar too, saying there wasn't even enough air support to ferry the Company's to and from the front line.

Basically, ZanuNL want to come out and say 'we can't afford wars, we don't want to be there, but we are politically tied over a barrel due to Tony taking it *********** from Georgie boy'. And they also don't want an Army, or to have to pay for it. They'd much rather give it away free to Brussels. And spend the money on asylum seekers and migrants (their core voters).

I saw him on the BBC Politics (?) programme on BBC2 yesterday
Talk about thick as mince (actually that's an insult to mince you can do things with mince)
Andrew Neil tore into him about how many Chinooks we have
He kept ducking the questions and then quoting the "We have told them they can fly xxx% more"
The look on his face as Neil asked him what this meant in about an increase in crews hours and maintenance meant it was obvious that he hadn't got a clue what he was on about and had been given figures to trot out

About 30 minutes later he was on BBC news quoting the same figures in an exact copy of the speach he trotted out earlier
Again it was brutally obvious that he hadn't a clue

Interveiwer - The USMC have arived with 120 Chinooks how many do we have
"Dosen't matter ours can fly for 84% longer"
"Do we need more?"
"Why we've said they can fly longer"

Utter drivel and a god awful performance
At one point Neil asked him what makes you think that you who has never served a day in uniform know more than Generals with a lifetime of service
Que bluster about we've bought some new Landrovers and told them to fly longer :x

I have top say that Andrew Neils performance was spot on I was suprised possibly the best I've seen from someone at the BBC against a Goverment minister

Latest Threads