[News] Watch the Debate on Syria live, 29 August PM

Discussion in 'House of Commons' started by DOT, Aug 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

Thisis an alert for upcoming business inside the Chamber of the House of Commons. We encourage discussion or comments concerning the topic or content of the debate.
    The debate will be streamed live on Parliament.tv Player (Please note that Silverlight or Windows Media Player are required to stream Parliament TV)

Motion – Syria and the use of chemical weapons
    Thursday 29 August PM.

MPs will debate a motion on Syria in the House of Commons. You can read the Government motion for today’s Commons debate here (PDF)

The debate is expected to start at 2.30pm. Timings are approximate and Parliamentary business is subject to change.

To find out more about the House of Commons Syria debate click here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Well done to our elected representatives last night for voting to keep us out of the disaster that is Syria.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 4
  3. I agree. Democracy in action.

Seeing the debate unfold last night pushed me to consider that UK politics might not be absolutely dead in the water, as I had previously believed. It seemed to me that many MPs actually took time to outline the views of those constituents who contacted them about the matter. I know that several ARRSE members wrote to their representative. Either way, this was a serious step forward in the name of equality and common sense. It is a shame that it took so long but at least it finally happened.

Maybe things will change for the better over the coming years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Agreed,

Cameron denied his chance to take the country to war and just as well with all the cuts that have been imposed by his government.

What next for him and the coalition?

• Like Like x 1
  5. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

Following on from the debate last night, the results were:

The House of Commons voted against an Opposition amendment to the Government motion on Syria by 332 votes to 220.

The opposition amendment can be found at Manuscript Amendment

The House of Commons voted against the Government motion on Syria by 285 to 272.

The Government motion was:

6. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

For those interested in the topic of Parliamentary Approval for Deploying the Armed Forces - can we recommend reading the impartial briefing paper created by the House of Commons Library staff on:

Parliamentary Approval for Deploying the Armed Forces:

The paper covers:
    Note: The Paper itself opens as a PDF

7. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

8. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

9. That is pretty eye-opening. Interesting they did that - I wonder if it's a common thing.

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

hope so but I doubt it, they will screw us over again like they have allways done. I expect the forces will get punished by the treasury for being disloyal.

11. How were they disloyal? Were generals speaking out?

12. DOT

DOT Old-Salt SME

Hi Flash Bang - thank you for your question asking about how MPs voted - this is available to view in the Hansard records - House of Commons Hansard Debates for 29 Aug 2013 (pt 0004) (you may have to scroll down the page a bit to find the lists)

The MPs are listed according to Ayes and Noes and alphabetically rather than according to political party.

Hope this helps?
    DOT

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It means nothing.

The UN will return their verdict that Assad used chemical weapons, this coupled with British and American intelligence confirming the same, will over ride the vote and we'll be bombing Syria at some point next week.

14. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Fancy placing some money on that? The UN investigation won't reveal anything that we don't already know and certainly won't apportion blame. Given the damage this has done to the government's credibility, they'll be just keen to forget about the whole debacle.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 1
  15. That letter reads like it was written by a relative of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, full of flowery praise, denials of wrong-doing, misdirection and threats.