News story: WO1 Glenn Haughton OBE has been appointed as the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs of Staff Committee (SEAC)

Good news but, relative what I posted at # 1567, I wonder if the RN/RM would actually promote a SEAC directly to OF 3 when, almost by definition, such a person would not normally qualify to be a Senior Upper Yardman.

Jack
No, not directly to OF3.

IAW a route open to many others, they could Commission direct to OF2 and then fight it out with everyone for OF3.

I think one WORN commissioned and is a random Lt somewhere, the other retired as a WO1.

From what I remember there is a Cadre that needs to be passed irrespective of Cap Badge and if you are good enough you are selected

If you buy into the myth that Sandhurst instructors are actually the cream of the Crop and not just the best, shouty, drilly, mil Trg Course passing robots :)

I have worked with some of this so called cream, further down the line when they had confidently bluffed their way to LE Officer. I usually had to hide sharp objects and tell the soldiers to hide!

In a world devoid of Operational tours we are, sadly, returning to a world where Trg NCO’s are once again king, because of an ability to look smart and quote a pamphlet.

No wonder their was a huge drive by this 1 trick pony cohort to convince the senior officers, and anyone else within a 10 mile earshot radius that the Comd Sgt Maj (LE Officer) concept was a fantastic idea.

I will give them credit for getting that little gem through. Although convincing their old Officer cadets (the best trained officers in the world, trained by the best SNCO’s in the world :) ) that they are indeed the best of the best and should remain wearing a big badge, while getting Officer pay, was like taking candy from the proverbial baby ^~

If you buy into the myth that Sandhurst instructors are actually the cream of the Crop and not just the best, shouty, drilly, mil Trg Course passing robots :)

I have worked with some of this so called cream, further down the line when they had confidently bluffed their way to LE Officer. I usually had to hide sharp objects and tell the soldiers to hide!

In a world devoid of Operational tours we are, sadly, returning to a world where Trg NCO’s are once again king, because of an ability to look smart and quote a pamphlet.

No wonder their was a huge drive by this 1 trick pony cohort to convince the senior officers, and anyone else within a 10 mile earshot radius that the Comd Sgt Maj (LE Officer) concept was a fantastic idea.

I will give them credit for getting that little gem through. Although convincing their old Officer cadets (the best trained officers in the world, trained by the best SNCO’s in the world :) ) that they are indeed the best of the best and should remain wearing a big badge, while getting Officer pay, was like taking candy from the proverbial baby ^~
Not keen on the idea then Scouse?

DSJ

LE

I had the ‘pleasure’ of going through RMAS at the same time as one of those soon to be LE’s was strutting his stuff. He was known by one and all as ‘Empty Metal Locker Head’. Read into that what you will.

Yarra

War Hero
I had the ‘pleasure’ of going through RMAS at the same time as one of those soon to be LE’s was strutting his stuff. He was known by one and all as ‘Empty Metal Locker Head’. Read into that what you will.
Was this particular EMLH a Jockanese?

Big Al didn’t do too badly for himself in the end ^~

To be fair I only met two ex Sandhurst instructors (that I'm aware of). One on my RQMS course who was selected as RSM 1 R Irish mid course (first board after Sandhurst) and our Training Wing SNCO who was selected for WO2 on the first board after Sandhurst (at the age of 30). Both were really professional but nice blokes too. Looks like I only got to see the best of the best! :)

Edited to add:

The ex RLC guy is now a multi millionaire having taken the commercial world by storm.

Last edited:

Spot on!

From what I remember there is a Cadre that needs to be passed irrespective of Cap Badge and if you are good enough you are selected

There IS a selection cadre... speaking from my experiences from ..Oh... 50 years ago (!) those attending were drawn from all Arms and Services though infantry predominated, Guardsmen usually didn't, those who did were usually the non-shouty type, who, usually, had never instructed at the Guards Depot.
The failure rate was usually just over 50%

Those Guardsmen who the Guards Division 'Powers That Be' thought didn't need to attend the selection cadre were usually Sgts immediately promoted to C/Sgt on posting in. Once they were on the Sandhurst circuit the 'higher flyers' could anticipate a return to the Academy as CSM and College RSM.
Strangely those Guardsmen who attended the selection cadre were never regarded as 'high flyers', few, if any, ever returned to the Academy after their initial tour.

IIRC most, if not all, the Line Regiment SNCOs attending the Cadre had usually completed at least one operational tour in NI as a platoon commander as well as completing a SAA course, Senior Brecon, the AADW, etc., most attaining at least a B grade on all of the aforementioned, many were also veterans of Aden and Borneo.
Most of the Line SNCOs returned to their units at the end of their Sandhurst tour all the better for the experience though not wishing to return, many, though not all, went on to complete outstanding careers in their respective regiments, several attaining Lt-Colonel rank, at least in my old regiment.

Mind you that was 50 years ago... I have no idea what it's like now!

XXV!

There IS a selection cadre... speaking from my experiences from ..Oh... 50 years ago (!) those attending were drawn from all Arms and Services though infantry predominated, Guardsmen usually didn't, those who did were usually the non-shouty type, who, usually, had never instructed at the Guards Depot.
The failure rate was usually just over 50%

Those Guardsmen who the Guards Division 'Powers That Be' thought didn't need to attend the selection cadre were usually Sgts immediately promoted to C/Sgt on posting in. Once they were on the Sandhurst circuit the 'higher flyers' could anticipate a return to the Academy as CSM and College RSM.
Strangely those Guardsmen who attended the selection cadre were never regarded as 'high flyers', few, if any, ever returned to the Academy after their initial tour.

IIRC most, if not all, the Line Regiment SNCOs attending the Cadre had usually completed at least one operational tour in NI as a platoon commander as well as completing a SAA course, Senior Brecon, the AADW, etc., most attaining at least a B grade on all of the aforementioned, many were also veterans of Aden and Borneo.
Most of the Line SNCOs returned to their units at the end of their Sandhurst tour all the better for the experience though not wishing to return, many, though not all, went on to complete outstanding careers in their respective regiments, several attaining Lt-Colonel rank, at least in my old regiment.

Mind you that was 50 years ago... I have no idea what it's like now!

XXV!

Cool story bro, what years did you serve there ^~

Good news but, relative what I posted at # 1567, I wonder if the RN/RM would actually promote a SEAC directly to OF 3 when, almost by definition, such a person would not normally qualify to be a Senior Upper Yardman.

Jack
Selection from WO1 to SUY remauns possible (but I understand that this is to be changed under Transformation). The bit of Branch Management fiat that is the "Warrant Officer Commissioning Scheme" allows for something quite similar to this (although it's to Lt on x yrs' seniority) but for a specific and rather short officer engagement. There would (by definition) be a pay increase as WOCS uses the SUY pay scheme.

This could generate the same effect (Lt RN titled as some flavour of WO) but would require the RN to actually want to do it.

Edited to correct sleepiness-induced stupidity. Original post remains quoted below.

Last edited:

Pompeyexpat

Clanker
Selection from WO1 to SUY is no longer possible (or won't be soon). The bit of Branch Management fiat that is the "Warrant Officer Commissioning Scheme" allows for something quite similar to this (although it's to Lt on x yrs' seniority) but for a specific and rather short officer engagement. There would (by definition) be a pay increase as WOCS uses the SUY pay scheme.

This could generate the same effect (Lt RN titled as some flavour of WO) but would require the RN to actually want to do it.
The SUY route is available to WO1s. The WOCS is ‘designed’ for those approaching the end of their career and offers limited employment for a short commission (6 years). Not that there aren’t those trying to use it as a method of circumventing the need to pass the AIB while hoping to get commission extensions.

Conscious that you may well be privy to new information I haven’t seen, until 6 months ago I was very closely involved with the SUY and WOCS programmes and the idea that the SUY scheme would be closed to WO1s is news to me.