News story: WO1 Glenn Haughton OBE has been appointed as the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs of Staff Committee (SEAC)

Massive rank badge on arm, tailored shirt - there is a whiff of "look at me".

I look forward to the next bod in post. I would go for a pasty, bearded, slightly overweight submariner just to piss the shouty people off.

To be honest what does this person bring that the four senior people in the Commands (Navy, Army, Air and Joint) could give to their Service Chiefs???

If you really want someone to feed the voice from the coalface I would have selected a bright, engaging and high flying Petty Officer or equivalent. Maybe even a good enough Leading Seaman or equivalent. They would have first hand knowledge of what the messdecks want/worry about/care about and it would be a good way to talent manage people for higher ranks later on.

To be honest having an Army guy doesn't help as it just reinforces the opinion that it is Joint, spelt L A N D and pronounced Army.
IMHO, he always looks rather too pleased with himself...

Can't see the point of him to be fair. He clearly doesn't want to hear about the real issues that the lads are dealing with. It's all smoke and mirrors, but as long as the army can advertise that they have this bloke who is the voice of the common soldier (when he really isnt) then the higher uppers can all slap each other on the back for a job well done.

Here's a thought for genuinely sounding out where the army is and any problems, new or long standing:

Randomly select a Tpr or JNCO invite them for an interview.

At the start of said interview inform them that their career in the army is over, although a similarly paid job is ready for them to move to after the interview. Also their pension is secure.

Now ask for their views, opinions and what really needs to be done.

I guarantee you will get an accurate picture if all the retired VSO(Retd) flapping their gums in the media are anything to go by.

Just for you..........
e. Tattoos.
(1) It is Army policy that a person with tattoo marks which, because of size, position or nature would be
detrimental to the Service, is ineligible for enlistment, re-enlistment or continued service in the Army.
(2) Tattooing is to be discouraged, and unacceptable tattoos may result in applications being made for discharge
under para 9.414 of these Regulations. Such tattoos are defined as being any tattoo(s), excessive in size or
number, offensive or obscene, which are visible when wearing parade uniform (not including shirt sleeve
order or sports clothing). The visible area comprises the head, neck and hands.

Just for you..........
e. Tattoos.

(2) Tattooing is to be discouraged, and unacceptable tattoos may result in applications being made for discharge
under para 9.414 of these Regulations. Such tattoos are defined as being any tattoo(s), excessive in size or
number, offensive or obscene, which are visible when wearing parade uniform (not including shirt sleeve
The rules concerning hand and neck tattoos were relaxed in 2014. They're allowed now. Plus if they discharged all the toms with sleeve tats, we'd have an even worse manning problem.

Just for you..........
e. Tattoos.
(1) It is Army policy that a person with tattoo marks which, because of size, position or nature would be
detrimental to the Service, is ineligible for enlistment, re-enlistment or continued service in the Army.
You might want to update your copy of QR's ^~

I wonder who the new Sergeant Major of the Army will be?

Carleton-Smith (ex CO 22 & DSF) might want to promote one of his Hereford hooligans to the post.

Imagine some long haired bloke with a beard rocking up to units in Fjallraven trousers, a rab puffa jacket, Salomon walking shoes & a multicam baseball cap demanding the blokes call him by his first name.

His twitter account would be a bit boring though, all those photos with blacked out eyes.
Breath of fresh air.

I suspect the blokes might prefer to be represented by Ant Middleton or similar.

Shirt tailored is technically shirt vandalised and comes under the remit of misuse and damage, or would do for mere mortals. Anyway, some Lt Gen has popped up on Fill Your Boots and basically made him redundant.......
I saw this. Just a shame Alfie didn't really stick to the topic asked of him, and instead gave him two sides of A4 of squaddie gripes, with very little on ideas for recruiting.

I saw this. Just a shame Alfie didn't really stick to the topic asked of him, and instead gave him two sides of A4 of squaddie gripes, with very little on ideas for recruiting.
Lt Gen Urch was my Troopy back in the day. Top bloke and a really good officer. Alfie missed out on a good chance there by, as you say, just hitting him with gripes.

Lt Gen Urch was my Troopy back in the day. Top bloke and a really good officer. Alfie missed out on a good chance there by, as you say, just hitting him with gripes.
Which then goes on to confirm everyones expectations and prejudices of why the lads can't be trusted to discuss grown-up issues.

I have one suggestion that I keep meaning to tweet to the General actually. Personally I think like the days of old where they would erect pop-up stands at fetes etc, they could do the same but at sporting events - MMA, boxing, crossfit etc.

Thinking back to the days when I used to compete in MMA, you have literally 100s of lads and lasses at these types of events that would be perfect for the army/army reserves (and that's something I really enjoyed about the sport - camaraderie was similar to the army), and would probably enjoy the constant challenges too.

don't the army pay a lot of money to advert consultants for that sort of thing? Sort out the (serious) gripes and the recruiting will sort itself to a large degree.

don't the army pay a lot of money to advert consultants for that sort of thing? Sort out the (serious) gripes and the recruiting will sort itself to a large degree.

I imagine they do, but fair play to the Gen for thinking out of the box and willing to try anything by the sounds of it. He also laid out the problems with recruiting - too many civvies are fat; not as many young people; more opportunities outside the army than in; and problems with Capita; apparently the adverts everyone hated were a success, he didn't say anything about the actual job putting anyone-off. He also said last year 50,000 people applied to join, and this year it was projected to be 70,000.

Friends who are still in complain about the under manning really hurting their quality of life because of the increased workload, so I suspect getting more bodies inside may also help retention too.

last time I was asked, my suggestion that we alter phase 1 to account for changes in civpop met the same sort of appreciation as a fart in a lift. I suggested ph1 be broken down a bit.
he idea being a bright bloke could be trained and educated to be fitter. We can't make a retard who can run fast brighter or more technical. Either selection centres could stream recruits for different length courses, or use the us system of milestones and recycs along with diet support in the cookhouse. Ie 'oi, tubby. Fresh fruit only. No sausages'. The USMC actually have cards to assist the catering staff fulfil, or not, the needs of the recruit.