News story: WO1 Glenn Haughton OBE has been appointed as the first Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chiefs of Staff Committee (SEAC)

Is it not possible that said scuffer had signed for 9, and was 7 1/2 years in. Hasn’t made sub Cpl, 18 months to runout date, re-engagement not offered. Plenty of time to do resettlement. Or something like that.

Before my time, it used to be like that in the Army. You signed for 3, 6, 9 or 12 years initially, and either were, or weren’t offered reengagement.

Is it not possible that said scuffer had signed for 9, and was 7 1/2 years in. Hasn’t made sub Cpl, 18 months to runout date, re-engagement not offered. Plenty of time to do resettlement. Or something like that.

Before my time, it used to be like that in the Army. You signed for 3, 6, 9 or 12 years initially, and either were, or weren’t offered reengagement.
When you finished your initial commitment you went onto an 'open' engagement, which would take you to 22 years unless you were SNLR or got pinged at a Manning Control Point. I signed up for 9 (Scale C rates of pay), never signed anything else until I went beyond 22 years.

mmmm . . . So what happens to the food, accom and facilities when the army takeover an RAF camp out in the sticks?
Worthwhile items (large, highly polished mahogany tables) are redeployed by the Security Section during initial inspections of places like Bassingbourne to more appropriate locations, such as WOs & Sgts Messes in places like Ashford. Infantry types would only put fingerprints on them.

When you finished your initial commitment you went onto an 'open' engagement, which would take you to 22 years unless you were SNLR or got pinged at a Manning Control Point. I signed up for 9 (Scale C rates of pay), never signed anything else until I went beyond 22 years.

indeed; that was my point - there were rank gates that had to be met by point X, or you were down the street. These were not universal though, IIRC. Varied by Regt/Corps and trade, and time period in question. Made sense really. If the Army’s got 300 underwater knife fighting instructors at Cpl rank, and there’s 5 slots for Sgts, that’s an obvious problem.

I imagine the RAFP were much the same, only so many sub Cpl slots, and a lot more acting unpaid slots. Perhaps OC PoPo had indeed already read the bloke his tea leaves, but was embarrassed to say?

Alamo

LE

In the RAF you could apply for, or be offered subject to hitting certain points, further extensions of service. Which you then, if you chose to accept them, would sign accordingly. The notion that you just get automatically rolled-over, or would assume that you would be, or would be surprised that you were about to be timex, is bunkum. If that’s what @greenbaggyskin was told, then I strongly suspect said individual was spinning him a yarn to cover up his own ineptitude

The Army has invested a lot over the last two decades - but it had to. I visited ITC Catterick almost 20 years ago - the new JR Mess had opened but the Sandhurst Blocks were dire after decades of neglect; visitng the sit eon an unrelated matter, I recall being shown two soil pipes on one block that were shattered and every time the toilets were flushed, sewage spewed out on the ground - and clearly had done for quite some time. Levels of investment varied across the RAF (driven until 1995 by each Command) and many of the 'temporary' RAF stations that survived into the 1990s were not well-found (loads of SECO huts etc), unlike those who had attracted NSIP funding and were hardened like Leeming. But generally RAF stations were better maintained - after all, that is where the service was going to fight from. Gateway was improved but was only ever transit accommodation and sadly was regularly trashed by outbound and drunken RIPs. The equivalent hotel at Lyneham (sadly, I cant recall the name) used to provide TVs in the rooms, soap and towels so that troops could have a shower and not have to open up their luggage and then carry a wet and smelly towel. However, so many TVs were trashed or 'borrowed' along with a shocking percentage of towels, the practice was soon stopped. Recovery action was largely pointless.
I don’t believe any of the Services had much accommodation that was fit for purpose by 2000. It was nearly all run down, life expired and no longer fit for the purpose it was designed for, let alone for 21st century expectations. The level of unfitness really only varied with age, but there was next to nothing anywhere less than 20 years old. That’s why they all three services needed SLAM and other projects.

I was OC DCRE at Brize in the early noughties and was genuinely genuinely surprised at the low standard and quality of the accommodation. Absolutely as bad as the worst Army accommodation around that time. Life expired, way below scale, in places lacking fire safety and with absolutely shagged heating.

IIRC you were involved in SLAM?

I don’t believe any of the Services had much accommodation that was fit for purpose by 2000. It was nearly all run down, life expired and no longer fit for the purpose it was designed for, let alone for 21st century expectations. The level of unfitness really only varied with age, but there was next to nothing anywhere less than 20 years old. That’s why they all three services needed SLAM and other projects.

I was OC DCRE at Brize in the early noughties and was genuinely genuinely surprised at the low standard and quality of the accommodation. Absolutely as bad as the worst Army accommodation around that time. Life expired, way below scale, in places lacking fire safety and with absolutely shagged heating.

IIRC you were involved in SLAM?
Have you been to Leeming? Catterick? lately? I mean in the last 15 years?

As was the case at Depot Queens Div.
1977, I spent a month at Bassingbourn (Depot Queen Div).

KAPE tour for the Junior Army in the Hangers.

Accommodated in the old blocks away from the main camp.

Food was poor and the cook house was minging.

Being JLR RCT we had to march to meals in three ranks, KFS & MUG in left hand behind back.

The highlight was when one of the Senior Troop (Juniors) RCT (just passed his HGV3 Licence), reversed a LW Airportable Land Rover into a civi's car in Bassingbourn Town Centre and drove off at speed with the door of the car still attached to the Rover rear small bumper.

The Queens Div RP Staff at the Main Gate were very understanding when the RCT Driver rocked up at the gate after the said incident.

A lot of doubling around, knees to the shoulders, threats of being introduced to Carl (some Swedish Bloke!!!) or his mate Wo-Bat!!!! Strange name did not realise that there were Chinese Soldier at Bassingbourn as well.

I would not have minded but I was only the passenger and had no control over the Army Rover or the Driver.

All this could have been avoided if the Rover Driver had not returned to camp via the Main Gate but sneaked in over the airfield.

Worthwhile items (large, highly polished mahogany tables) are redeployed by the Security Section during initial inspections of places like Bassingbourne to more appropriate locations, such as WOs & Sgts Messes in places like Ashford. Infantry types would only put fingerprints on them.
Has been known to work in reverse. Circa 1992/3, Defence Intelligence moved out of MB and into OWOB. They were told to have everything packed up and labelled by noon on the Friday, then to go home early, and not come back in until noon on the Monday to allow the removal firm to complete shifting the furniture, etc, across the road.

Inevitably, a crack team of thieving SO1s and SO2s - Guards, RA and cavalry overly represented - from Army Plans and DMO took advantage of the situation on Friday afternoon, having nobly returned to the office after their customary lunchtime session in Champagne Charlie's.

Apparently CDI was a tad overwrought on Monday lunchtime to go to his new office in OWOB - a wonderful Edwardian room - to find not the antique mahogany desk used by previous Directors of Military Intelligence since the dawn of time, but one of the tatty grey utility desks that were standard issue in MB. Because the thieving bastards had taken good care to swap out the furniture on a one for one basis, with movement labels lovingly transferred, so that the removal chaps found the quantity of furniture they had been briefed to expect. Just not the quality.

Took quite a while for CDI's desk to be tracked down to the office of a certain Grenadier Colonel (not least because it had been cunningly disguised with a tartan rug thrown over it to confuse intelligence), and restored to its outraged owner. One of the thieving SO2s (gunner) made full General in due course...

That went out in about 1976 when the open engagement came in.

You weren't offered re-engagement as such.

What did happen at the 12 and I think 18 year point was that your name was published on Pt 1 Orders granting a period of 28 days re-engagement leave ( to be taken in blocks of 7 days and within a 3 year time period )

The 12 year point being the last in line of the Manning Control Points.

The Army has invested a lot over the last two decades - but it had to. I visited ITC Catterick almost 20 years ago - the new JR Mess had opened but the Sandhurst Blocks were dire after decades of neglect; visitng the sit eon an unrelated matter, I recall being shown two soil pipes on one block that were shattered and every time the toilets were flushed, sewage spewed out on the ground - and clearly had done for quite some time. Levels of investment varied across the RAF (driven until 1995 by each Command) and many of the 'temporary' RAF stations that survived into the 1990s were not well-found (loads of SECO huts etc), unlike those who had attracted NSIP funding and were hardened like Leeming. But generally RAF stations were better maintained - after all, that is where the service was going to fight from. Gateway was improved but was only ever transit accommodation and sadly was regularly trashed by outbound and drunken RIPs. The equivalent hotel at Lyneham (sadly, I cant recall the name) used to provide TVs in the rooms, soap and towels so that troops could have a shower and not have to open up their luggage and then carry a wet and smelly towel. However, so many TVs were trashed or 'borrowed' along with a shocking percentage of towels, the practice was soon stopped. Recovery action was largely pointless.

The accommodation at Lyneham was the ATAF. I stayed there a few times in the 90s and it was barely habitable by then. We were deploying to Bosnia and had to spend a few nights in the ATAF. It caused our SSM, one of the nicest men I've ever met, to almost having an a stroke as he was so frustrated and angry trying to get us hot water and an edible breakfast.

MB

indeed; that was my point - there were rank gates that had to be met by point X, or you were down the street. These were not universal though, IIRC. Varied by Regt/Corps and trade, and time period in question. Made sense really. If the Army’s got 300 underwater knife fighting instructors at Cpl rank, and there’s 5 slots for Sgts, that’s an obvious problem.

I imagine the RAFP were much the same, only so many sub Cpl slots, and a lot more acting unpaid slots. Perhaps OC PoPo had indeed already read the bloke his tea leaves, but was embarrassed to say?
But you weren't down the street without being told, it required affirmative action. While not common, there certainly were quite a few 22 year Sapper's and JNCOs about in units in the 70s.

These dits regarding RAF v Army accommodation are wonderful if one is a brick spotter but can we get the thread back to St Glenn of Integrity?

These dits regarding RAF v Army accommodation are wonderful if one is a brick spotter but can we get the thread back to St Glenn of Integrity?
I’m still waiting to find out if he tupped a nubile young thing that found herself married to a chubby, light blue polyester wearer or did he brave the 40 something year old Ron Hills wearing fat former Squadron bike that married a brave 19 year old soldier who lost his cherry to her after a night on the town.

Latest Threads