News story: UK will help Lebanese Armed Forces train over 2,000 troops in the coming

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Feb 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Surely strong Lebanese forces will prevent Iran/Hezbollah from taking over?
  3. In 2006 they stood back and let the Hezbollah crack on when the IDF invaded. There was an obvious presence everywhere but they didn't engage the IDF - even when they were hit by Israeli aircraft.
  4. I'm trying to work out what the implication is. Are you suggesting that they gave Hezbollah tacit support by allowing them to operate unimpeded, or that they sat back while the Israelis cleaned up for them?
  5. 'Strong Lebanese forces' is something of an oxymoron, surely?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Op Hyperion (as part of MNF) in 1983 went really well! BritForLeb all over again? I do not think the USMC and the French Paras would want to go back there again having lost 241 and 57 in 2 truck bombings.

I hope they get something better than Ferrets as protection!
  7. Stability in Lebanon?

Has the Minister not noted that the main cause of instability in Lebanon has been that rather bad tempered and chippy lot in Israel?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Strengthening the Lebanese state (as opposed to Hezbollah) would reduce the infulence of both Israel and Iran.
  9. Bollocks, nothing has changed since we were last ionvolved in that shit hole of a country!