News story: UK’s first A400M aircraft named “City of Bristol”

In fairness, the picture arguably exaggerates the size of the A400M slightly.

However, this picture shows the c-130 (actually the former 'Snoopy' met research aircraft) used as the TP400 engine test bed. It gives a good indication of the difference between a C-130 and A400M prop disk.

Regards,
MM

@Magic_Mushroom - I agree with you in that there is no doubt that some missions can/will still be carried out with various platforms dependent on threat level.
In my travels, I got to know an ex Yugo radar operator who was around at the time when NATO was flying covert missions with C130's from the UK to drop arms to the Bosnians. Very interesting to see the view from the other side , so to speak.

Someone tell the drivers of the shorter C-130 that get seen flying between the hills in Wales, on the Mach Loop.
They are practicing for low level missions obviously. Now , you saw them and you heard them. If Wales were a country we were having fisticuffs with, and you were one of the baddies with a mobile phone or radio, then the enemy have a confirmed sighting, a position, and a possible course. Thats the worrying bit. This in no way diminishes the skill and fortitude of the aircrew.

In my travels, I got to know an ex Yugo radar operator who was around at the time when NATO was flying covert missions with C130's from the UK to drop arms to the Bosnians. Very interesting to see the view from the other side , so to speak.
It wasn't NATO, it was the US...and therein lies another story!!!

On a similar note, in recent years I've met a Serb Orao pilot and a Serb SA-6 operator from ALLIED FORCE. It was fascinating indeed to share OPFOR perspectives over a beer, particularly when we realised my crew had been involved in at least 2 of the incidents they related!

They are practicing for low level missions obviously. Now , you saw them and you heard them. If Wales were a country we were having fisticuffs with, and you were one of the baddies with a mobile phone or radio, then the enemy have a confirmed sighting, a position, and a possible course. Thats the worrying bit. This in no way diminishes the skill and fortitude of the aircrew.
Operational routing will obviously seek to avoid centres of population but compromise by VISOBS is assumed. That's why C-130s are regular players on RED FLAG and other major exercises to refine TTPs in contested environments.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads