News story: Three shipbuilding teams shortlisted to build new warships in UK

Teams will receive contracts worth up to £5 million to push ahead with plans to build five new Type 31e warships.

Continue reading...

"five frigates for £1.25 billion"

:rofl:

Our next gen Frigates will be costing at least $1B per hull... about double what our old new Littoral cost per hull.

Good Luck with that. I see a lot more "for, but not fitted with" in your near future.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Our next gen Frigates will be costing at least $1B per hull... about double what our old new Littoral cost per hull.

Good Luck with that. I see a lot more "for, but not fitted with" in your near future.
It may well do and that's fine if they're intended for high end operations, Type 31e isn't, it has much narrower operational requirements in order to conduct roles that will free up £Bn warships to conduct more appropriate tasks.

No more money will be approved so there will be little choice, plus it's build only...

Build only if fitted for but not with everything including the engines and rudder

I notice the "at least" part seems to have gone from the 5.

I see the dead hand of Babcock is one of the teams, any more news on what they plan to do with their site at Colchester?

Latest Threads