News story: Third air strike in Iraq

This afternoon, 2 Royal Air Force Tornados on patrol over north-west Iraq, as part of a coalition force, were tasked to assist Kurdish ground forces engaged in combat with ISIL.

The aircraft pin-pointed the location from which ISIL fighters were directing heavy fire on the Kurdish troops, and conducted a precision strike with Paveway IV guided bombs. Initial reports indicates that the strike was successful.

Continue reading...

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can't wait for:
News story: Seventy third air strike in Iraq

Someone needs to invent the high-altitude guided cluster bomb.

chimera

LE
Is this really news now?

I don't recall endless Press Releases along the lines of "...453rd foot patrol leaves FOB Robinson...."

D

Deleted 60082

And just to think, a few short days ago, Arrsers were complaining that the RAF hadn't dropped any bombs on Johnny Raghead. Today's news; tomorrow's yet to be deleted file on the temporary drive...

D

Deleted 60082

Someone needs to invent the high-altitude guided cluster bomb.
Except that it would be illegal under UK municipal law because of the 2008 Convention on Cluster Munitions. This caused all sorts of angst in the MOD because of UK personnel on exchange or secondment with US units that trained with or held stocks of CBMs...

Except that it would be illegal under UK municipal law because of the 2008 Convention on Cluster Munitions. This caused all sorts of angst in the MOD because of UK personnel on exchange or secondment with US units that trained with or held stocks of CBMs...

UK municipal law? Please explain how an international treaty would impact on the by-laws of a Borough or Municipal authority.

UK municipal law? Please explain how an international treaty would impact on the by-laws of a Borough or Municipal authority.
Pretty sure I'm not allowed to use cluster bombs in my local park.

However as a responsibIe citizen I am willing to accept these petty restrictions on my personal freedom.

D

Deleted 60082

Municipal law, in the context of International constitutional law, is the expression that refers to so-called domestic laws. But yes, it would be an offence for Slagston Town Council - or its citizens - to use cluster munitions, or to store* or train with them...

* there are exceptions: CBMs can be retained for EOD training purposes, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
This afternoon, 2 Royal Air Force Tornados on patrol over north-west Iraq, as part of a coalition force, were tasked to assist Kurdish ground forces engaged in combat with ISIL.

The aircraft pin-pointed the location from which ISIL fighters were directing heavy fire on the Kurdish troops, and conducted a precision strike with Paveway IV guided bombs. Initial reports indicates that the strike was successful.

Continue reading...

Getting back to the OP, Paveway requires a laser designator on the ground is that correct?

D

Deleted 60082

Getting back to the OP, Paveway requires a laser designator on the ground is that correct?
I suggest that you look up Janes ' IHS or similar, but EPWIII/IV doesn't....but it can....which must make some of the ISIS chaps a bit worried about some of the 'foreign fighters' who have recently joined them!

* there are exceptions: CBMs can be retained for EOD training purposes, for example.

That being the issue I believe- some of the bomblets may not go off...

D

Deleted 60082

That being the issue I believe- some of the bomblets may not go off...
Based on my experience in AFG, at least 10% of US aerial deployed cluster munitions did not detonate on impact but remind particularly live, effectively delivering (a clearly unintentional) minefield. BLU- 97, if my memory serves me right; and a rather nasty piece of kit. Only piece of conventional ordnance (not IEDs) that the civilian mine-disposal teams that I worked with didn't like going anywhere near..

Latest Threads