News story: Syria: UK to put forward United Nations Security Council resolution

Ministry of Defence said:
A Downing Street spokesperson said:
We have always made clear that we want the UN Security Council to live up to its responsibilities on Syria. Today we are giving its permanent members the opportunity to do that.
Britain has drafted a resolution condemning the attack by the Assad regime, and authorising all necessary measures under Chapter 7 of the UN Charter to protect civilians from chemical weapons.
The resolution will be put forward at a meeting of the 5 permanent members of the Security Council later today in New York.

More...

Still unable to get my head around this one.

- No 100% proof the winning side gassed their own people.
- The rebels are Al Qaeda backed
- There's nothing learnt from Libya

Shall we just sit this one out? After all, its no like innocent people are being gassed.

Shall we just sit this one out? After all, its no like innocent people are being gassed.
How about we commit to being the 23rd nation to supply troops/weapons? No shirking on our part, it just ensures that we're taking action which has some form of consensus if not an actual legal mandate.

Don't you watch the news? It's all about protecting the civilians

There is obviously another agenda behind this. They are using any excuse/propaganda to start another War! This whole situation reminds me of the time where the Nazis faked an attack by 'Poles' known as The Gleiwitz incident or Operation Himmler on a German radio station intended to create the appearance of Polish aggression against Germany in order to justify the subsequent invasion of Poland. Sounds all familiar doesn't it?

There is obviously another agenda behind this. They are using any excuse/propaganda to start another War! This whole situation reminds me of the time where the Nazis faked an attack by 'Poles' known as The Gleiwitz incident or Operation Himmler on a German radio station intended to create the appearance of Polish aggression against Germany in order to justify the subsequent invasion of Poland. Sounds all familiar doesn't it?
Tinfoil hat - RationalWiki

Tinfoil hat ON

Why does the UK have to put the resolution forward? We are only one of the "Big 5" cant the others step up or are we to take the blame and world hatred for this one as well.

I really think it's to help the West out of a recession. Syria and their cuddly friends and allies, the Iranians could be the thing our Government needs to help. The cash-rich banks would of course queue to fund a war. All those 'dole scrounging foreigners' would be retrained for filling in the jobs that would be required for production. It's 1939 all over again! :)

Protecting them from being gassed by proactively blowing them up?

Cameron should be canonised.
Being shredded/immolated/atomised by a surgical strike gone wrong isn't as bad as being gassed to death. Sarin poisoning really hurts while with a surgical strike you'll hardly even know you're dead. And remember it's all in a good cause, the survivors get to vote in democratic elections in a few years. Go Dave!

Why does the UK have to put the resolution forward? We are only one of the "Big 5" cant the others step up or are we to take the blame and world hatred for this one as well.
The French are above that kind of thing, because they'd have to do it in English. The Russian and the Chinese are going to veto it so there isn't much point in them doing it and the US Ambassador is on holidays. In Ireland.

The French are above that kind of thing, because they'd have to do it in English. The Russian and the Chinese are going to veto it so there isn't much point in them doing it and the US Ambassador is on holidays. In Ireland.

Epically excellently put!

Is there really an agenda behind invading?
What would the US or the UK gain from it?

Or is it just the west meddling and trying to sort out the children from fighting, when really they should just let them sort it out themselves?

Latest Threads