News story: Special Recognition for Ministry of Defence Police Inspector Anne Turner

Inspector Anne Turner, a training manager in the Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) Operational Capability Centre in Scotland, was presented with a Special Recognition Award by the British Association for Women in Policing (BAWP) at their awards ceremony in June. There were 247 nominees for the awards from 34 forces.

Sponsored by Deloitte, Anne’s award category was open to male and female nominees, either within policing or in partnership with the community who have made ‘a significant contribution to gender equality or service to females’.

A normal day for Anne in the office.

Anne was nominated for her dedication and commitment to MDP training (and in particular police firearms training) throughout her career, and more specifically for the work she has done to support female officers. Anne has always been viewed as a role model by her female colleagues in the MDP and says that:

Being the first female firearms instructor was a proud achievement for me, and let me show other females they too could push themselves into any career path they wished.

When I was contacted by the BAWP to tell me of my award I was dumbfounded. I never think of myself as doing anything special, I just get on with a job I enjoy and help others where I can. When I heard the stories behind the others who had been nominated for awards I felt privileged to be considered in the same group, but I think all of us felt the same. We were just doing our job and if there is one thing that this award has taught me it is to do just that. Do what you can to support others whenever the chance arises because it’s amazing the difference it can make to everyone, as well as making you feel good about yourself.

Continue reading...

Pretty much every sentence of that plop makes me want to kick a puppy.
Box-ticking bollocks.
Why do some (in fact many) members of ARRSE always feel the need to denigrate the achievements of others?

The criticism is not of the lady getting on with her job, good on her.

It is everything about the Equality agenda, endlessly rammed down our throats.

Oh look! A woman can be in the MOD Police. And she can teach weapon handling! Let's give her an award for being a woman doing this.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets on with their work, irrespective of what gender they and their comrades are.

That's why it's bollocks.

The criticism is not of the lady getting on with her job, good on her.

It is everything about the Equality agenda, endlessly rammed down our throats.

Oh look! A woman can be in the MOD Police. And she can teach weapon handling! Let's give her an award for being a woman doing this.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets on with their work, irrespective of what gender they and their comrades are.

That's why it's bollocks.
'Equality agenda endlessly rammed down our throats'...Theres a funny in there somewhere,but I can't think of it just now.;) But concur.

Why do some (in fact many) members of ARRSE always feel the need to denigrate the achievements of others?

Maybe cos it's not really an 'above and beyond' achievement.

Person goes to work - person does job ....The End

As for denigration?, look at the comments following an Obituary and you'll see credit where it's due. ...

Things being equal, who won the men’s category?

Scotland, it says, in the first sentence, so my inner voice immediately slips into character, and reads the rest in a down-market Glaswegian accent akin to that of Rab C Nesbitt . . . .

. . . . and gets as far as BAWP . . . then somehow, reflexively and fluently follows through in the vernacular to render it as "ball pein hammer"

Is it just me?

As the gay bloke in the machine shop said the other day: 'I like ******* other men, but don't feel the need to march down the street waving a ******* flag!'

Things being equal, who won the men’s category?
There was only one category for both male and female nominees:

“Sponsored by Deloitte, Anne’s award category was open to male and female nominees, either within policing or in partnership with the community who have made ‘a significant contribution to gender equality or service to females”.

If the wording is to be taken literally then the award could have gone to a male (or female) officer who had made a difference within the transgender community or had assisted transgender MDP officers integrate with the force.

MOD Plod seem to have their ranks arrse-about face.

There's an officer, with pips on her upper arm, and the sergeants wear their chevrons on their shoulders.

:)

As the gay bloke in the machine shop said the other day: 'I like ******* other men, but don't feel the need to march down the street waving a ******* flag!'
She didn’t march down the street waving a flag, she was nominated along with others both male and female and she was given the award.

Any press release, photos and interviews would have been out of her hands she will have been instructed to do them.

There was only one category for both male and female nominees:

“Sponsored by Deloitte, Anne’s award category was open to male and female nominees, either within policing or in partnership with the community who have made ‘a significant contribution to gender equality or service to females”.

If the wording is to be taken literally then the award could have gone to a male (or female) officer who had made a difference within the transgender community or had assisted transgender MDP officers integrate with the force.
"Special Recognition Award by the British Association for Women in Policing (BAWP)"

I wonder how many male plod have ever won this award?

"Special Recognition Award by the British Association for Women in Policing (BAWP)"

I wonder how many male plod have ever won this award?
I have just emailed them asking for a list of past recipients.

Latest Threads