News story: Sergeant Beth Wilson on serving in Afghanistan

Ministry of Defence said:
International Women’s Day celebrates the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future.
In today’s Regular Armed Forces, women are making a growing impact, with the last decade seeing the number of women increasing from 8% in 2000 to 9.7% in April 2012.
For female officers, it’s an even better story, with the number of women increasing from 8.9% to 12.4% in 2012. While over the same period, women serving in the other ranks have gone up from 7.8 to 9.1%.
Sergeant Beth Wilson is deployed in Afghanistan on her first tour of duty with 4 Armoured Engineer Squadron, 21 Engineer Regiment.
Sergeant Wilson’s key role involves the reconnaissance of engineering tasks.
This involves checking out potential route builds, improving security bases for soldiers and the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and preparing bases for closedown and handover to the ANSF ahead of transition to Afghan-led security across Helmand province.
Based in Lashkar Gah for her tour, Sergeant Wilson said:
I was deployed on a brigade ‘main effort’ to conduct recces of several routes to enable the building of 2 new partnered checkpoint locations.
It’s fulfilling doing a recce role on operations as I feel like I’m testing all my learning from training and get to be part of an effort to make a real difference.
Sergeant Wilson’s achievements to date include being the first female high assurance searcher in Northern Ireland, the first female instructor at the Royal School of Military Engineering, the first female to complete the field sergeants’ course at the Royal School of Military Engineering and the first female to work as part of the Boat Troop on operations in Iraq.
Sergeant Wilson said:
I’ve had some incredible experiences since I joined the Army, such as 6 months serving as temporary staff at the British Army Training Unit Kenya, where I completed the Nairobi half-marathon and climbed Mount Kenya.
I am really enjoying the job out here; it is challenging and I have a lot of responsibility.

More...

Bird in the Army. Hardly breaking news.

Yours aye, Dale the Civvie xxx

D

Deleted 20555

I wonder if there is any scope for a comedy like In the Thick of It but based at the MOD?

B

Biscuits_AB

Bird in the Army. Hardly breaking news.

Yours aye, Dale the Civvie xxx
Hey, you were a great clerk as I recall. Folks still talk about your stationery cupboard. You should have got a medal for the way those pencils were sharpened.

Hey, you were a great clerk as I recall. Folks still talk about your stationery cupboard. You should have got a medal for the way those pencils were sharpened.
You nicked blokes unnecessarily for minor scrapes* and probably spent more time in my office than I did. I spent most of my time at Catterick CMC, normally on weekends. Like I had a life anyway!!!

*LSW theft, AWOL, stabbings, rape, breaking and entering, stealing cars - the list could go on......

B

Biscuits_AB

You nicked blokes unnecessarily for minor scrapes* and probably spent more time in my office than I did. I spent most of my time at Catterick CMC, normally on weekends. Like I had a life anyway!!!

*LSW theft, AWOL, stabbings, rape, breaking and entering, stealing cars - the list could go on......
Walking on the cracks in the pavement, wearing white socks, being in possession of an offensive wife in a public place....

Walking on the cracks in the pavement, wearing white socks, being in possession of an offensive wife in a public place....
First laugh of the day.

They were little bastards weren't they?

The parade square on a Monday morning? People think we make this shit up.

Is that your car?

No Sarge.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder if there is any scope for a comedy like In the Thick of It but based at the MOD?
Don't you think the depression and mental health thread is long enough?

Glad to see the MOD is focused on the increased role/number of women as a performance indicator and is not getting sidetracked by irrelevancies like operational effectiveness.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Radio 4 ran one a couple of years ago with, yes, Peter Capaldi doing one of the characters...when the latest senior moment clears I will remember the name of it.

The caricatures were....familiar, anyway.
Army colonel obsessed with dogs, world weary CPO holding it all together, hyper intelligent female official who doesn't 'get' Defence , RAF schemer ....all there.

I listened in a few times but have reached an age when clever dicky Radio 4 comedies just bring the simmering rage to expletive point so tended to switch over to Classic FM and mutter calm things after a while...beer can do the trick too.

D

Deleted 20555

Glad to see the MOD is focused on the increased role/number of women as a performance indicator and is not getting sidetracked by irrelevancies like operational effectiveness.
The mental health thread is something of a revelation to one who has led such a sheltered existence such as myself - I find myself checking it before even the clicking on the last 50!

Is your head on upside down?

Radio 4 ran one a couple of years ago with, yes, Peter Capaldi doing one of the characters...when the latest senior moment clears I will remember the name of it.

The caricatures were....familiar, anyway.
Army colonel obsessed with dogs, world weary CPO holding it all together, hyper intelligent female official who doesn't 'get' Defence , RAF schemer ....all there.

I listened in a few times but have reached an age when clever dicky Radio 4 comedies just bring the simmering rage to expletive point so tended to switch over to Classic FM and mutter calm things after a while...beer can do the trick too.
It was called "Our Brave Boys" if my last braincell is telling me the truth

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
B

Biscuits_AB

First laugh of the day.

They were little bastards weren't they?

The parade square on a Monday morning? People think we make this shit up.

Is that your car?

No Sarge.
Such a shame that they amalgamated them with that other retarded gang of drug addled ****ing thieves.