Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

News story: Scottish yard awarded HMS Queen Elizabeth contract

How much equipment will RN need to remove to allow HMS QE to pass under the bridges?

I've visions of all aircraft taking off, flying over bridges, then landing again.

Anyone know if H&W bid for contract?

What does dry dock maintenance involve? It seems a bit soon (not that I know anything about this kinda of thing).

Usually just cleaning and detailed inspection. Basically a full MOT of every part of the ship if I recall correctly. It's nothing exciting, unless the ship's fucked somehow and they've not told anyone - dry docking would be the only way to properly repair damage under the water line.

Oh, and painting is a really one of the main reasons for dry docking. I think a new coat and all that entails ensures sea worthiness for another five years or something.

ETA: It also often involves a large number of restless boaty types being unleashed on the nearest civilisation and a sudden upsurge at GUM clinics

Last edited by a moderator: