News story: Royal Navy's new 'eye in the sky'

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Jun 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Funnily enough, this looks Iranian too!

3. I saw a photo recently from the Iran-Iraq war and Iran had a remote controlled plane which could fire several RPGs off its wings. Looked similar to a modern UAV. Possibly the first use of a UAV in war other than Chinese kites etc.

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

A mere 7 years after first being trialled, then a spot of dithering and requirements writing, then Libya which proved the value of this piece of kit, just not with the RN, then a gold plated spec that no one bothered to respond to, then a re tender and down select where the obvious answer all along was indeed the winner

The timing is spot on as well, just as the US are moving to a more capable and heavier version but using the same launch and recovery system

5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

6. HHH

HHH LE

So does the UK now have Aircraft Carriers?

7. I think they used some sort of UAV (or whatever they are called today) for spotting for the guns of the USS Missouri and Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RQ-2_Pioneer

Scan Eagle is different. I think it is intended to provide a low cost eye in the sky, with a possible range of something like 60 miles from the mother ship and and endurance of something like 20 hours.