News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols

Bridgewatchkeepers are trained to an equivalent level of STCW, omitting the cargo/stability aspects. Likewise CQ1 is equivalent to a Masters ticket, without the cargo stuff. It is a policy choice to match the standards that make sense to us.

So strictly speaking we are not STCW ticketed.

What you want is a job on a super yacht.

I watched with horror a video blog made by a crewman on such a vessel while it was transiting the Pacific. His only qualification seemed to be extreme competence with a can of Brasso.

Alone on the bridge during the middle watch (midnight to 4am for land lubbers) he explained that this was his time for refining the playlists on his media player. The only time he came close to seamanship was once an hour when he transcribed the ship's position from the GPS display on to a chart that seemed to cover the entire world. He didn't touch the ship's wheel during the entire watch and I swear he dosed off at one point.

Next day this "officer of the watch" included a segment showing the captain using a sextant to double check the GPS receiver. Our man had never seen or heard of a sextant and he couldn't even pronounce the word astronavigation.

I never served on a merchant ship and it's been decades since I served on any kind of ship but ..... WTF?

No doubt automation has progressed a fair bit since my day but do ships now sail themselves? Would the radar make a noise to wake him up if another ship came close? Is it legal to have completely untrained crewmen standing watch alone on the bridge at night.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What you want is a job on a super yacht.

I watched with horror a video blog made by a crewman on such a vessel while it was transiting the Pacific. His only qualification seemed to be extreme competence with a can of Brasso.

Alone on the bridge during the middle watch (midnight to 4am for land lubbers) he explained that this was his time for refining the playlists on his media player. The only time he came close to seamanship was once an hour when he transcribed the ship's position from the GPS display on to a chart that seemed to cover the entire world. He didn't touch the ship's wheel during the entire watch and I swear he dosed off at one point.

Next day this "officer of the watch" included a segment showing the captain using a sextant to double check the GPS receiver. Our man had never seen or heard of a sextant and he couldn't even pronounce the word astronavigation.

I never served on a merchant ship and it's been decades since I served on any kind of ship but ..... WTF?

No doubt automation has progressed a fair bit since my day but do ships now sail themselves? Would the radar make a noise to wake him up if another ship came close? Is it legal to have completely untrained crewmen standing watch alone on the bridge at night.

Not sure about other countries but I think learning to shoot the sun is still a requirement if you are at one of the UK Marine Colleges, most of the guys I know still do, but they be crusty old Masters

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not sure about other countries but I think learning to shoot the sun is still a requirement if you are at one of the UK Marine Colleges, most of the guys I know still do, but they be crusty old Masters
Still required in the RN for your Ocean Navigation Certificate.

. . . No doubt automation has progressed a fair bit since my day but do ships now sail themselves? Would the radar make a noise to wake him up if another ship came close? . . .

Yup. Certainly in the leisure/pleasure world of boating. Raymarine, Furono and others have been punting these (eye wateringly expensive) units for some time. I met a couple who have a Trader 54 which they crew by themselves. 54' and 20-ish tons is a lot of boat to crew as a pair but they've taken this one around the world.

He wasn't about to trust a human solely with watchkeeping (though they planned their voyages with the minimum amount of night passages) so stumped up for a full Raymarine nav suite: Doppler radar, AIS, etc.

His particular system could be set to show audio and visual alarms for anything that came as close as 18'. Which, to me, sounded a bit of a 'OFFS!' moment.

Latest Threads