News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols

I'd be interested to hear where he intends to get the CO, XO, Bridge and SCC watchkeepers from...

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
To quote Commodore Maritime Reserves last year "I could man an OPV with RNR tomorrow, but id break the RNR to do it for more than 6 months."
And even in the above scenario, they'd man it and it would remain alongside for years until the engineering and watching-keeping SQEP was established. We simply cannot fully reserve man an ship at this time.

We have and they man the RN ships - the Mar Res exists to support the RN, not the other way around.
Yes, a bit like the AR exists to support the Regular Army; however, to try to make this work, a certain number of Regulars are embedded in AR Units and have the requisite skills to achieve this. So, do the RN similarly assign Bridge and SSC Watchkeepers for example?

Yes, a bit like the AR exists to support the Regular Army; however, to try to make this work, a certain number of Regulars are embedded in AR Units and have the requisite skills to achieve this. So, do the RN similarly assign Bridge and SSC Watchkeepers for example?
Why? This circular firing squad about getting the RNR to man non-existent ships to complete non-existent tasking by drawing on already committed RN personnel is wildly frustrating. In the words of a cartoon - let it go, let it go, let it goooooo.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? This circular firing squad about getting the RNR to man non-existent ships to complete non-existent tasking by drawing on already committed RN personnel is wildly frustrating. In the words of a cartoon - let it go, let it go, let it goooooo.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trust me, I have no dog in this fight. What the RN do or don't do is of no concern to me. Whether or not it hold any sway with Ministers is another point though...

Trust me, I have no dog in this fight. What the RN do or don't do is of no concern to me. Whether or not it hold any sway with Ministers is another point though...
What is you think Ministers have in mind? Do you think that the professional advice of Their Lordships and other might be sort?

The bottom line still is we all expected a manpower uplift of 1500 - 2000 people before the last SDSR, but Dopey Dave bottled it. If HMG wants to run extra OPVs then that needs manpower. The RNR hopefully can augment the pool of manpower more than it does already, but to complete run OPVs is a huge ask, and carries a significant risk of stopping the RNR from other things it does in direct support of operations and exercises.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
That would be a decidedly pointless exercise - with no assigned assets those watchkeepers would simply lose currency, moreover there is greater need at sea in Regular units. There is a huge chicken/egg nay requirement question here.

Having the evidence it provides ignored? Yes it does seem that way.

Has anyone worked out if there is a need/political interest in running extra OPVs? If so, will they be expected to spend 300+ days at sea per year, or perhaps they will do less, therefore they will not need three watches.

Last edited:
That is down to your Senior Officers. Funnily enough, both the Army and the RAF seem to have managed, so why hasn't the RN?
Both the RN and RAF expected a manpower uplift of 1500 or so bods in the run up to SDSR 15, but there was no funding for an increase in total numbers of Armed Forces personnel, and Cameron had committed himself to not cutting 'troop numbers'.

There is ample evidence that CMD opted not to listen in the run up the SDSR 10.

And even in the above scenario, they'd man it and it would remain alongside for years until the engineering and watching-keeping SQEP was established. We simply cannot fully reserve man an ship at this time.
He believed there was the there was enough experiance from ex regular, previously mobilised people and civvy skills to have got one going. Still not sustainable to do however. But dont play down the organisation that much.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Both the RN and RAF expected a manpower uplift of 1500 or so bods in the run up to SDSR 15, but there was no funding for an increase in total numbers of Armed Forces personnel, and Cameron had committed himself to not cutting 'troop numbers'.

There is ample evidence that CMD opted not to listen in the run up the SDSR 10.
I don't disagree with your last point but whose fault is that? Is it exclusively Cameron's?

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
He believed there was the there was enough experiance from ex regular, previously mobilised people and civvy skills to have got one going. Still not sustainable to do however. But dont play down the organisation that much.
I absolutely doubt there are sufficient ex regular, or civilians with in date STCW, any mobilised who gained STCW (highly unlikely) in a small enough geographic area to support this. It's not playing down the organisation. It's realism, it's not set up to deliver OPV manning except in niche cases.

I absolutely doubt there are sufficient ex regular, or civilians with in date STCW, any mobilised who gained STCW (highly unlikely) in a small enough geographic area to support this. It's not playing down the organisation. It's realism, it's not set up to deliver OPV manning except in niche cases.
I meant as a once off mobilisation from the whole RNR. And i also dont see it as a good idea. Does STCW come into RN tickets? The RN joining us all need to redo their tickets to STCW level.

I meant as a once off mobilisation from the whole RNR. And i also dont see it as a good idea. Does STCW come into RN tickets? The RN joining us all need to redo their tickets to STCW level.

Bridgewatchkeepers are trained to an equivalent level of STCW, omitting the cargo/stability aspects. Likewise CQ1 is equivalent to a Masters ticket, without the cargo stuff. It is a policy choice to match the standards that make sense to us.

So strictly speaking we are not STCW ticketed.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Which is why, many years ago, a retiring fishhead's automatic entitlement to a Master's ticket was cancelled. I wish I'd put in for mine in spite of not needing it in the IT industry, it would have looked good framed on the wall, real salty that would have been.