News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said: 'The Royal Navy has a proud tradition of protecting the UK’s coastline...'
They'd be more use fitted with (not for) ******* wheels and put on the M20 if they want to 'protect' anything.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
£1bn works out at only just over £15 per head of the UK population. I’m sure the figure must be higher than that when you take into consideration all the value added activities described by @Flight. I consume that value of fish in one good meal out.
Exactly, it has been fiddled to the point of absurdity. Doesn't take a genius to work out why.

Go to Vigo some time and you'll find a very prosperous and exceptionally pleasant city. A single fishing company based there turns over more per year than the civil service / EU Commission figures for our own entire industry.

Difficult to say how much is made from our waters though there are 8000 small companies involved in processing and exporting fish in Spain alone, which has little in the way of it's own productive waters.

Why would the EU subsidise boat building in Spain to the tune of a billion a year, if fishing in our waters was only worth a billion? It's almost as though a significant proportion of their rural economy is dependant upon it...

As was ours once. you can still see it in the human geography and infrastructure.

You can see the fiddle when cheap tons of fresh wholesale fish are exported, as the factories have mainly fled to where the catch is landed, and considered the same as value added packaged and processed fish tons being imported. Or the 'UK' fleet which includes foreign vessels, foreign crewed which land their catch abroad.

Even the most ardent remainers tend to support retaking our waters. Though with the EU commission effectively negotiating with.. the knighted EU commission I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm sure the cucks can show a long and healthy list of prosecutions for foreign crewed vessels cheating...

Whose side are they on?

£1bn works out at only just over £15 per head of the UK population. I’m sure the figure must be higher than that when you take into consideration all the value added activities described by @Flight. I consume that value of fish in one good meal out.
My Cod! What sort of Plaice do you dine at? Are you their Sole Customer? What if you are Eel?

Exactly, it has been fiddled to the point of absurdity. Doesn't take a genius to work out why.

Go to Vigo some time and you'll find a very prosperous and exceptionally pleasant city. A single fishing company based there turns over more per year than the civil service / EU Commission figures for our own entire industry.

Difficult to say how much is made from our waters though there are 8000 small companies involved in processing and exporting fish in Spain alone, which has little in the way of it's own productive waters.

Why would the EU subsidise boat building in Spain to the tune of a billion a year, if fishing in our waters was only worth a billion? It's almost as though a significant proportion of their rural economy is dependant upon it...

As was ours once. you can still see it in the human geography and infrastructure.

You can see the fiddle when cheap tons of fresh wholesale fish are exported, as the factories have mainly fled to where the catch is landed, and considered the same as value added packaged and processed fish tons being imported. Or the 'UK' fleet which includes foreign vessels, foreign crewed which land their catch abroad.

Even the most ardent remainers tend to support retaking our waters. Though with the EU commission effectively negotiating with.. the knighted EU commission I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm sure the cucks can show a long and healthy list of prosecutions for foreign crewed vessels cheating...

Whose side are they on?
I am not sure what you think if the fault of the Navy or MOD. A FOI request could yield information regarding the nationality of vessels boarded, and there must be a record of vessels/skippers/owners prosecuted and convicted.

What is a 'cuck'?

It is one of the issues currently being wrestled with between Edinburgh and Westminster. There are loads of things up for grabs - not just fishing policy.
The fisheries thing pre dates evolution by decades if not centuries. I wonder if it is a historical anomaly left over from the time of the Union?

"Forth is the first of five"

Eh?
The OPVs are named after British Rivers (and get called RCOPV - River Class Offshore Patrol Vessel).

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Secondly, I doubt boats re-flag on a regular basis.
They do. It was/is a relatively common practise in fishing is used by the larger container vessels but not as much.

You used to be able to reflag in several hours (although several times a season is more common) but that became a very well established issue as it was just abused hence action was initiated.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Fisheries is not a major industry
Not sure I agree with that.

HectortheInspector said:
I would see the whole inshore waters thing as something an enlarged RNR could and should deal with.
So tell me, we're struggling to recruit and retain in the Maritime Reserve, don't have the means to train to the STCW requirements to legally 'drive' ships, so how do we do this?

HectortheInspector said:
You could probably buy a number of cheap hulls, equip them with a COTS sensor package, a 20mm and a couple of GPMGs and some drones, and rotate the crews like the MCM squadron did in the Gulf. These don't need to be state of the art war canoes, but eyes and ears on the water.
No such thing as cheap hulls, they need base ports, logistics, maintenance, fuel and crew(s). On top of that you've added weapons (more expense, complexity and legal issues) and drones (no current UAS solution at sea) - that all needs complex, continual training to safely operate.

HectortheInspector said:
Funding? Well,that's an interesting one.
The question is, as ever, what the State needs, as opposed to what the taxpayer is willing to pay for.
Which comes back to the point I made whereby a number of people took objection. Fish isn't really a core RN task, it's something the right civil agencies should be doing allowing the OPVs to conduct wider tasks. The RN isn't really funded to do it. Of course we do it, but should be do it is the question - the tiny amount we get paid for the days on task is an irrelevance in the wider scheme. If the Gov wants a fishery policing capability, it should fund and operate MFA properly and they can operate icw Border Force.

The fisheries thing pre dates evolution by decades if not centuries. I wonder if it is a historical anomaly left over from the time of the Union?

The OPVs are named after British Rivers (and get called RCOPV - River Class Offshore Patrol Vessel).
Powers devolved were powers subordinate to the EU, thus on exiting those overall responsibilities could revert to Whitehall or they could automatically devolve - hence the current debate.

As for the River class, I actually knew that (I think I even went to the Navy Staff College at one point). But did you know that the original River Class were in fact Army vessels?

If the Gov wants a fishery policing capability, it should fund and operate MFA properly and they can operate icw Border Force.
Sorry, but the UKBF Cutter Fleet is maxed out as it is; there is no spare capacity (or crews) to undertake Fishery Protection duties in addition to current taskings.

A few things, firstly you might be disappointed to know how much of the fish you consume is foreign, in the sense it was caught by a foreign trawler and processed outside the UK. Secondly you might be surprised how few people eat fish at all or very little compared with their grandparents. Those pizza, curry and Chinese places have to get their customers from somewhere. Finally the massive nail in the UK fishing industry was Iceland, which has nothing to do with the EU and will not change after Brexit. UK waters are a limited fishing resource that will need careful husbanding i.e. plenty of quotas and limited days at sea just like now, to provide a sustainable business. Yes chucking the Spanish out will help, but it will not recreate the situation pre the 1970's cod wars.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry, but the UKBF Cutter Fleet is maxed out as it is; there is no spare capacity (or crews) to undertake Fishery Protection duties in addition to current taskings.
I didn't say they'd undertake fishery patrols. I said operate icw. as you well know operating the UK agencies together from PTP has worked well to day and can work better, in support of a wide range of intelligence led tasks.