News story: Royal Navy helicopters in NATO submarine-hunting exercise

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Royal Navy anti submarine helicopter trains in anti submarine warfare... now where did we put our diesel boats?
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well to be fair its harder to find an enemy sub than one of ours so they probably need the practice.
  4. KROM. The canucks are still kicking the tyres and making sucking sounds with their teeth.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Too true, who needs a dipping sonar when one tips up on a rock or t.other accidentally rams one of our allies... Royal Navy, making me laugh for many a year. Canucks? Swimming for it...
  6. "Can't understand it, Guv. It were working fine when we parked it up."
  7. Close the feckin door!

Hatch, I meant hatch...
  8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They were fine when we handed them over. Trouble was the stupid buggers wanted to change things and the Canadian govt wanted the work done in Canada by Canadians. Only the Canadians didn't have a ****ing clue. Result - 4 working boats stop working. Moral of the story - don't let politicians **** about with detail.
  9. Well that is what they say in Barrow...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Joking aside the U's were the dogs doodahas. Never heard anyone who served on them have a bad word. Yanks thought they were good as well.
  11. The politicians and bean counters did not like them.
  12. However, they were not fitted with or for SHAR...
  13. That was dirty and underhand... I apologise.
  14. Think the main problem was changing the torpedo system over to the standard Mk 48 torpedo as used by the RCN and USN, just so we could use up our stock of them. Penny wise, Pound foolish is the description I think. We could have just used the Mk 48s on the surface ships (assuming that destroyers and frigates still have torpedo tubes), and bought the applicable weaponry for the Upholders from the RNs suppliers, or built them ourselves under licence.
    But what do I know, I'm just an ex Cpl ground crew.
  15. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

couldn't they just have a rebore or a sabot to make them fit?