News story: Reserve soldiers recognised for Afghan tour

Ministry of Defence said:
Fourteen members of 159 Supply Regiment Royal Logistic Corps were presented with Operational Service Medals to mark a 6-month tour of duty in Afghanistan between October 2012 and April 2013.
Their regiment controls the issue and accounting of all the 750,000 items of equipment the Army uses and provides units of soldiers for operations alongside Regular Army regiments. Its function is vital to all aspects of the mission in Afghanistan.
Colonel Adrian Thurgood presented the campaign medals to the soldiers at an event attended by families and employers at their Telford base yesterday, 31 July.

Colonel Adrian Thurgood presents a member of 159 Supply Regiment with his Operational Service Medal [Picture: Sergeant Russ Nolan RLC, Crown copyright]The regimental welfare officer, Captain Mak Singh, said:
It is important that the contribution the soldiers make serving their country is properly recognised. Being away from their loved ones for 6 months in an austere environment with testing weather conditions shows their commitment to the nation and we are all proud of their achievements.
Amongst those to receive a medal was Sergeant Mark Griffiths, who has dedicated almost 2 decades of his life to the Army Reserve.
A confidential paper driver for PHS Datashred by day, the 37-year-old returned from Afghanistan in April having served with his unit 123 Ammunition Squadron, which is part of 159 Supply Regiment.

Sergeant Mark Griffiths [Picture: Sergeant Russ Nolan RLC, Crown copyright]He was inspired to join the Reserves by his father, who was a regular soldier for 28 years. Sergeant Griffiths said:
I was going to join the Regulars but the TA centre was close to home, so I came in, completed the test, and here I am 18 years later.
And it is a path he would happily encourage others to follow. He said:
I would thoroughly recommend it. This place makes me happy. I have great support from my family and friends and can be really proud of the things I achieve.
Under plans to expand the Reserve Forces numbers will increase to around 35,000 across all 3 Services and £80 million will be invested in the Army Reserve estate to accommodate the larger numbers.
Have you got what it takes to be a reservist? The Reserve Forces are recruiting now.

More...

Well done to all 14 for the successful completion of their op tours. I have a few stories that MOD news may be interested in using, in their quest to promote the reserves:

"Pencilled in"

Already the new reserve can point to a series of success stories. One TAC in Edinburgh recently unveiled the benefit of over £7.50 worth of new funding required to purchase a new set of biros for the Bn HQ. Private Snodgrass of 7 SCOTS had the following to say; "The new biros are amazing. Never again will I need to sign onto the pay sheet using a leaky blue pen, incurring the wrath of the company clerk.". The biros are fitted for but not with ink, it is hoped that funding can be found in SDSR 2015 to make this enhancement.

"Turning them away"

Meanwhile the effect of the new advertising campaign has meant a huge new influx of troops into the reserve. Recruitment on Monday 9th July was 1% higher than on Sunday 8th July. The Adjutant of 7 SCOTS had this to say about recruitment in his unit "People are banging down the doors of the TAC every morning. This may have something to do with the fact that we are next door to a Weatherspoons and the local tramps are rather short sighted, and aggressive at opening time, but we take it as a sign that the future of the reserves are rosy and that we can handle any task set of us. Syria here we come!"

"World Class Training"

Enhancements to training are a key part of bolstering the reserve. 7 SCOTS today announced that they will be holding a MATT 6, Values and Standards drill night next month. Cpl McStab had this to say "I am truly grateful to Phillip Hammond for making this training happen. Under the previous government there would have been no prospect of holding a V&S lesson in the TAC. I cannot wait to get stuck in to "C-DRILS". Assad will be quaking in his boots!"

A MOD spokesman commented as follows: "Under Army 2020 we had to make a number of tough decisions. We do not want to pay regular soldiers to sit in their SLAM blocks playing X Box when they are not in the sandpit, therefore we will be making a lot of them redundant. Instead, we are throwing money at the reserves. Let's hope to god we never need to use them, just look at the bastards, especially the R SIGNALS (V). But they are cheap, and we have better things to spend tax payers money on, like allowing chavs to buy wide screen TVs and aggressive dogs"

In the meantime an un named regular officer was quoted in the Daily Telegraph "The use of the TA will never work. To my knowledge none of them have gone to Afghanistan or Iraq. Furthermore they attract enemy radar and snipers."