News story: RAF Typhoons to get weapons upgrade

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Jun 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Translation: we hope the Saudis will buy some.
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

So do I. They've got the aircraft hopefully they'll go for the missile as well. And radar upgrades. And avionics. And anything else somebody in Britain is working on.
  4. The Americans already provide that facility, although they do use inferior rifles.

More to the point, can this new missile be used against ships. If not the Typhoons in the Falklands may be reduced to using strong language on Channel 16 if the Argentinian Navy ever gets enough cash together to get out of harbour.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Every Saudi officer under training at Dartmouth when I was there would have eaten one of those with his pint and enjoyed it. The sad bastards - Ginsters are gopping
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blue Circle radar?

Heidelberg Gun?

Hanson ejection seat and wind screen?
  8. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Well, according to the caption above, Typhoon's "ground attack capabilities were instrumental in allied operations over Libya"... so which tunes were we playing there, then?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. They used Paveway II 1000lb laser-guided bombs, not missiles.

LIBYA: RAF Typhoon hits fresh target, with help from Tornado

RAF Typhoon Dropping Paveway Bomb | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brimstone missiles (as well as bombs) were used by Tornados:

UK MoD close to ordering Brimstone missiles from MBDA - Airforce Technology

Brimstone can be used against a variety of targets including ships. AFAIK there are plans to integrate it with Typhoon.
  10. No it's an air-to-air missile.
  11. Selective Precision Effects at Range Capability 2 Block 1 (Spear Capability 2 Block 1) – Brimstone 2, is intended for integration with Typhoon. As ever, it's dependent on money being available.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I read that Harpoon is in the early stages of integration with Typhoon - wind tunnel tests to see if the missile is aerodynamically compatible with the aircraft. What happens if Argentina's elite scrap merchants are sent in again before Harpoon is available to the RAF? Kamikazi attacks by Typhoons on full afterburner? Getting close enough to fire brimstone would be suicidal.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. A RIB doing 25kts around them until the wash tips them all over probably. By the time Argentina could invade the Falklands the Typhoon will have fully integrated phased plasma rifles in the 40 kilowatt range.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. LGB's will take out ships.
  15. HSF

HSF War Hero

Did anyone read the comment by Air vice marshall Stephen Hillier " "we havw 8 pilots trained in ground attack roll because thats all we need" Maybee we need more airyplanes.I appears that his primary concern is his knighthood & golden bowler.Just as well he wasnt I/C during the battle of britain or d-day.
    • Like Like x 1