News story: RAF Typhoons intercept Russian Aircraft over the North Sea

Good job this sort of thing didn't happen in the 70's. I am referring to needing an MoD report for every QRA interception.

Good job this sort of thing didn't happen in the 70's. I am referring to needing an MoD report for every QRA interception.
It is a strange old world when I find myself in full agreement with beardyProf.

Not sure why Williamson felt in necessary to use the term 'brave' for the Typhoon pilots on a peacetime intercept. Is there an issue with airworthiness?

To be fair, there weren't a lot of Blackjacks about then. Like erm....0

Not sure why Williamson felt in necessary to use the term 'brave' for the Typhoon pilots on a peacetime intercept. Is there an issue with airworthiness?
Someone ran over the squadron dog as they were running to their aircraft.

No, but there were a lot more Bears, Badgers, Blinders and Backfires and they came a lot more regularly.
I would suggest that the key discriminator is not how much Russian out of area activity there was in the 1970s compared to now but rather how much internet there was then.

We live in a different, data hungry and enabled age.

Regards,
MM

I would suggest that the key discriminator is not how much Russian out of area activity there was in the 1970s compared to now but rather how much internet there was then.

We live in a different, data hungry and enabled age.

Regards,
MM
No I think it's actually so rare these days they think it's worth reporting. If they were putting out 2-3 of these a week they'd soon loose interest.

No I think it's actually so rare these days they think it's worth reporting. If they were putting out 2-3 of these a week they'd soon loose interest.
Government departments like to show the good job they're doing and the current SofS for Defence is particularly keen in this respect. So I suspect what would've happened is that a weekly summary would have been placed on line just as happens with SHADER air strikes.

Finally, although not back up to Cold War levels, Russian Long Range Aviation activity has increased significantly in both its frequency and particularly complexity compared to the nadir of the 90s and 00s.

Regards,
MM