Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News story: RAF Engineer becomes first ever UK female military three-star Commander

What, for an RAF position? Hardly.

She’s being appointed as Director General of the Defence Safety Authority, which is a tri-Service competitive post. That means she’s almost certainly seen off RN and Army candidates.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Well done. Women still have to work much harder than men to get on so I have no doubt this is well deserved.

Just to lower the tone; I would love to be there when she is in a room with a large group of other star ranks and some unknowing numpty say's, "get the kettle on luv".

It's actually a bit sad that in this day and age they have to put press stories like these out there, qualifying the gender or orientation or whatever of the person involved. It's the best person for the job involved and that should be it.

It's actually a bit sad that in this day and age they have to put press stories like these out there, qualifying the gender or orientation or whatever of the person involved. It's the best person for the job involved and that should be it.
Yes but you can see why. It might encourage young women thinking of a forces career to see that you can indeed reach the dizzy heights. And with more women reaching senior positions we will see more of this.

Yes but you can see why. It might encourage young women thinking of a forces career to see that you can indeed reach the dizzy heights. And with more women reaching senior positions we will see more of this.

I kind of get the whole breaking the " glass ceiling" thingy but at the same time, it just saddens me a bit that we have to change the mentality of people.

She may have even earned the position!
Reports state she is married to another RAF Engineer (no rank stated), no reference to sprogs. So not such a high diversity score, white, straight, middle class graduate! so got there on ability and Engineering Degree fits in with the 'elf and safety role?

...it just saddens me a bit that we have to change the mentality of people.

Sadly, some of the idiotic comments here suggests it’s needed.

Regards,
MM

Well done. Women still have to work much harder than men to get on so I have no doubt this is well deserved.

Just to lower the tone; I would love to be there when she is in a room with a large group of other star ranks and some unknowing numpty say's, "get the kettle on luv".
Women are more trustworthy , I`ve employed both sexes ( theres only two ) and it was always the blokes who were on the take/rob.

Women are more trustworthy , I`ve employed both sexes ( theres only two ) and it was always the blokes who were on the take/rob.

My Mrs will not accept anything from third party suppliers, or vendors for herself at work. She doesn't go for lunch or dinner unless her boss tell's her they are going, and if it is a gizzit she puts it into the xmas raffle. She has seen accepting gifts used as an excuse to apply the "loss of trust and confidence" gambit to bin people just because they pissed off the wrong senior exec.

Women are more trustworthy?! In the airline I work for, a few scams were uncovered and women were deeply involved in thieving and fraud. Several were "invited" to leave, including at least one who was given a "redundancy" package to leave to avoid a court case. Also, when it comes to theft and fraud from carers of the elderly and fraud from credit unions, women are the majority offenders.

Women are more trustworthy

That statement maybe true from your perspective, but not from mine. I would say kinda both men and women I've dealt with have been sorta equally trustworthy - it really depends on the person and the character. Just my opinion - your experiences may vary.

She’s being appointed as Director General of the Defence Safety Authority, which is a tri-Service competitive post. That means she’s almost certainly seen off RN and Army candidates.

Regards,
MM
The one person she is seeing off is Felton, and so that is a Good Thing. But I thought Carol f%^&*ng Vorderman was the most senior crab, not Mary Portas?

The one person she is seeing off is Felton, and so that is a Good Thing...

Each service will normally offer at least one candidate for a tri-service post. Those will then be assessed and/or interviewed by ministers or an appropriate VVSO before selection. Therefore, AM Gray will almost certainly have seen 2 other people off to replace Felton.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads