Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

News story: Novichok nerve agent use in Salisbury: UK government response

Police operation near Amesbury this afternoon to recover a vehicle used to transport the daughter.

This investigation is spreading more and more. It's an indicator of the seriousness and complexity that there are over 400 personnel involved.

It's just as well the authorities can cooperate at needy times as there is no way Wiltshire police could have coped with this on their own.

Explain where the chemical weapon you invented came from, and we may give you a supervised visit behind a glass screen if the patient gives permission.

Until then Foxtrot Oscar.
Do you not find that that's a bit of a feeble argument? Does the UK gobment (or whoever's in charge of such things) keep tabs on all the VX nerve agent around the world, considering the Brits invented it?

MsG

A chemical weapon was used, of Russian origin, you blinked first, all bets off regarding Geneva. We're playing it Vlads way and he doesn't like it.
Explain where the chemical weapon you invented came from, and we may give you a supervised visit behind a glass screen if the patient gives permission.

Until then Foxtrot Oscar.
Sarin was invented in Germany. Does it mean that Germany bears responsibility for each usage of Sarin? In Tokyo metro, for example.
VX nerve agent was invented in the UK. Does it mean that only Great Britain can produce it and bears full responsibility for any appearance of VX in the World.
Why are you so sure that nerve agent invented in the Soviet union was used, not VX? Maybe you believe that HMG never lies?

What about Nadiya Viktorivna Savchenko

I'm please to see that Russia is now demanding that others follow the letter of the law even if they don't.
As I'm aware Russia strictly follower all signed treaties and conventions. Case of ms.Savchenko was discussed earlier and it is not proper thread to continue the discussion.

So, an historical training accident, then?

And nothing relevant to the subject under discussion?

A few years ago, a friend of mine took a round into the leg from an AK47: as he survived*, should he now sue the estate of Mikhail Kalashnikov for his pain?

*entered through the lower part of his right leg, travelled the length of his femur and popped out of his hip.

http://legal.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/conventions/9_2_1963.pdf
You've read the explanatory sentence about laws of the host nation?

I'm intrigued by your 'concern' for your citizen that you expressed nothing about for pretty much two weeks and now want a 'Consular Visit'?

BTW, I note Russia states they have been denied Consular access, it's all over TASS; but where is the submission and where is the reply?
Probably you mean this fragment of the convention
2. The rights referred to in paragraph 1 of this article shall be exercised in conformity with the laws and regulations of the receiving State, subject to the proviso, however, that the said laws and regulations must enable full effect to be given to the purposes for which the rights accorded under this article are intended.
Of course the procedure of the consular access should follow local (in our case British) laws but the laws themselves must enable full effect of the right for consular access.