News story: Novichok nerve agent use in Salisbury: UK government response

As I'm aware Russia strictly follower all signed treaties and conventions. Case of ms.Savchenko was discussed earlier and it is not proper thread to continue the discussion.
Apart from the ones you don’t, like the one guaranteeing the integrity of Ukraine’s borders.

Do you not find that that's a bit of a feeble argument? Does the UK gobment (or whoever's in charge of such things) keep tabs on all the VX nerve agent around the world, considering the Brits invented it?

MsG

All chemical weapons carry unique 'fingerprints' that will reveal who made them.

Yes, in the UK, in nearby Porton Down someone was fooled about dangerous experiment and died from powerful poison. Are you aware about this sad story?
Died? You'd have thought that would be all over the news. I know about what appears on the face of it to be a failed assassination attempt and some DILLIGAF on 'collateral damage' but you think there's more?
Probably you mean this fragment of the convention

Of course the procedure of the consular access should follow local (in our case British) laws but the laws themselves must enable full effect of the right for consular access.
The first part as well. I know you have a problem and like to post out of context or selectively quote:
The rights referred to in paragraph 1 of this article shall be exercised in conformity with the laws and regulations of the receiving State, subject to the proviso,
Do Dr's in Russia have a say on patients being seen by plod etc? Do you have a copy of the official request and official denial yet?

As I'm aware Russia strictly follower all signed treaties and conventions
Budapest Memorandum?

This investigation is spreading more and more. It's an indicator of the seriousness and complexity that there are over 400 personnel involved.

It's just as well the authorities can cooperate at needy times as there is no way Wiltshire police could have coped with this on their own.
Russian embassy seeking access to Skripal's daughter, Ifax cites...
Alas, Western MSM in fact ignored consular access request issue.
I refer to (very serious) Russian sources
14 March
Российский консул попросил о доступе в больницу к Юлии Скрипаль
Vesti - state run news agency informs that Russia counsel asked access to the hospital where ms.Skripal is treated.
14 March
Посол России заявил о неудовлетворенности данными о здоровье Скрипалей
RBC - RosBusinessConsulting -serious private news-source.
Russian ambassador in the UK demanded consular access to ms.Yulia Skripal.
Russian diplomats denied access to Skripal
TASS main state-run news agency
Of course, now Sergei Skripal is British citizen but his daughter is Russian one.

Sarin was invented in Germany. Does, it mean that Germany bears responsibility for each usage of Sarin? In Tokyo metro, for example.
VX nerve agent was invented in the UK. Does it mean that only Great Britain can produce it and bears full responsibility for any appearance of VX in the World.
Why are you so sure that nerve agent invented in the Soviet union was used, not VX? Maybe you believe that HMG never lies?
We admit to the nerve agents we have produced. Russia denies ever producing 'Novichok', yet you indited several Russians who admitted it existed. It took Iran of all people to release a scientific analysis of it to the world, we can only guess where they got the idea from.
Russia's continual denial makes it look as guilty as sin, a bit like a 'no comment' interview, it reeks of guilt. Russia also has form for this on more than one occasion over the last few decades. Need I mention a certain 'Ricin' poisoning of a Bulgarian where the KGB operatives later admitted they provide it, among other options to the Bulgarian agents.

You've been caught too often doing this.

Russian embassy seeking access to Skripal's daughter, Ifax cites...
Alas, Western MSM in fact ignored consular access request issue.
I refer to (very serious) Russian sources
14 March
Российский консул попросил о доступе в больницу к Юлии Скрипаль
Vesti - state run news agency informs that Russia counsel asked access to the hospital where ms.Skripal is treated.
14 March
Посол России заявил о неудовлетворенности данными о здоровье Скрипалей
RBC - RosBusinessConsulting -serious private news-source.
Russian ambassador in the UK demanded consular access to ms.Yulia Skripal.
TASS main state-run news agency
Of course, now Sergei Skripal is British citizen but his daughter is Russian one.
Let’s follow Sergei logic on this one:
It’s only an allegation. No copy of the written requests as been provided. It would be proper for TASS to say the “alleged” request for access.

All chemical weapons carry unique 'fingerprints' that will reveal who made them.
But it is not so easy task to analyse these 'fingerprints'.
In some cases it is almost impossible.

Memorandum is a declaration about intentions. It hasn't status of treaty.
Wrong. It s a commitment to, amongst other things”
Respect Belarusian, Kazakh and Ukrainian independence and sovereignty and the existing borders.

Let’s follow Sergei logic on this one:
It’s only an allegation. No copy of the written requests as been provided. It would be proper for TASS to say the “alleged” request for access.
Are you native English-speaker and have you problems with vision? Where do you see word "alleged"?
"We requested a consular access to Sergei Skripal in the same note as for his daughter. Our request was denied as the British side considers him to be a British citizen," the embassy said.
As for mr.Skripal then no problem. But as ms.Skripal is Russian citizen then the denial contradicts to the convention about consular relations.

Last edited:
Now HMG denies access of Russian consular officers to Yulia Skripal who is Russian citizen.
British MSM doesn't care to inform the British about such a rude violation of the Vienna Convention by HMG.
Does it mean that Russian authorities have now right not to respect the Vienna convention?
Has he asked for it?
For some reason, I think he won't have...

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I'm a bit confused by all this talk of a "military-grade nerve agent". Military grade? Is there also a "civilian-grade nerve agent? Or is that description used just to "sex up" the allegations? Sounds very much to me like the "45-minute warning", as used by the former Peace Envoy and "wanquer extraordinaire" Blair.

MsG

I'm a bit confused by all this talk of a "military-grade nerve agent". Military grade? Is there also a "civilian-grade nerve agent? Or is that description used just to "sex up" the allegations? Sounds very much to me like the "45-minute warning", as used by the former Peace Envoy and "wanquer extraordinaire" Blair.

MsG
Some are pesticides such as Amiton marketed by ICI in the mid 50's, so yes there is a distinction between "military-grade" and "civilian-grade" nerve agents.

Wrong. It s a commitment to, amongst other things
I propose the source that you likely will accept - US States department
Guidance on Non-Binding Documents
Guidance on Non-Binding Documents
Governments frequently wish to record in writing the terms of an understanding or arrangement between them without, by so doing, creating obligations that would be binding under international law. The language, titles, and techniques used for this purpose vary considerably. While not binding under international law, a non-binding instrument may carry significant moral or political weight.
With respect to the title of a non-binding document, negotiators should avoid using the terms “treaty” or “agreement.” While the use of a title such as “Memorandum of Understanding” is common for non-binding documents

Proving that vodka is Russian is one thing, blaming Putin for anyone found smashed out of their mind on a park bench is another.
Proving Lada cars are russian is one thing but blaming Putin for the deaths of those killed by a Lada car in a road traffic 'accident' is another.

Unless of course, Comrade Putin ordered the 'accident'...

Last edited:

MsG
"Military-grade nerve agent" is tautological I agree, but the phrase is obviously intended to convey to the layman the genuinely significant distinction that the attack involved a chemical weapon and not merely a poisonous substance. It's not a misleading distinction, so no comparison with the "45-minute warning".

MsG
I thought we were warned about using swear words in CA no matter how poorly they are disguised?

MsG
Yes; Sarin used in Tokyo.

Latest Threads