News story: New veterans ID cards rolled out to service leavers

It's not all bad. I got 20% off my double whopper meal using my defence services card today. Between Burger King, Wetherspoons and the Franklin Mint, I think the UK's finally getting to grips with this veterans thing.
I can't find anything on DDS about Witherspoons I want a discount they are massively over priced I have to pay nearly £2 for a pint .:)

Does it mean the end of that tin badge? You just wear the card office style?
Next step will be issuing ID disks with "Thank You For Your Sacrifice." to veterans to make it easier for them to recognise you when they discover your frozen corpse on a park-bench.

I can't find anything on DDS about Witherspoons I want a discount they are massively over priced I have to pay nearly £2 for a pint .:)
With Spoons it is pretty much down to if the manager is mardy or not I have found, some do, some say it's not recognised. It is just down to chancing it. As I said it's the old ID card trick, if you ask with confidence most will knock a bit off or chuck something free.
If you don't ask you don't get. Two weeks ago I went in the local KFC about twenty mins before close, got discount plus pretty much all that was left, 6 bits of chicken, six wings, five corn ,gravy and a few bags of fries as a Brucey.
It pays to be cheeky!

I get where you're coming from, but it's just a personal thing for me. I've never felt I've been owed anything by the public for my time and what I've done - my own personal feelings mind.
I did for a short time after I left but then realised how fortunate I had been to have my career.
Gave me great satisfaction and set me up for life.

surely anyone receiving a WP should get one in the post rather then having to go through an application process, but I'm sceptical as I have yet to find anyone in the NHS that even knows about preferential treatment for service related health issues so I'm just going to give it a big pass as its probably not worth the plastic its printed on
As one who has weekly contact with the NHS, I can see that this would be very useful if you have to change NHS Trust catchments. At present you have to go through a long-winded process to prove entitlement - this would, I contend, fit the bill.

I called them up today as they stopped paying my War Pension, turns out it was my fault as I never received a letter from them?

Mind did hear on the telephone that I could apply for my veterans card. Move on to pay my bloody pension.

being the tour dodging
As one who has weekly contact with the NHS, I can see that this would be very useful if you have to change NHS Trust catchments. At present you have to go through a long-winded process to prove entitlement - this would, I contend, fit the bill.
considering that the WP and its supposed benefits have been around a lot longer then the NHS but as stated in the press release most GP and NHS organisations are only now becoming 'veteran aware' I dont hold much hope in things changing any time soon

I called them up today as they stopped paying my War Pension, turns out it was my fault as I never received a letter from them?

Mind did hear on the telephone that I could apply for my veterans card. Move on to pay my bloody pension.
ahhhh the old you should have contacted us because we didnt contact you to contact us routine the go to move of all civil servants

With Spoons it is pretty much down to if the manager is mardy or not I have found, some do, some say it's not recognised. It is just down to chancing it. As I said it's the old ID card trick, if you ask with confidence most will knock a bit off or chuck something free.
If you don't ask you don't get. Two weeks ago I went in the local KFC about twenty mins before close, got discount plus pretty much all that was left, 6 bits of chicken, six wings, five corn ,gravy and a few bags of fries as a Brucey.
It pays to be cheeky!
Are you a "down and out"?

I had a burger king yesterday can I retrospectively apply for the 40p I would have saved as well as compensation for the ensuing Johnny Cash (ring of fire) when I get my Veterans ID card

Latest Threads