News story: New veterans ID cards rolled out to service leavers

I also doubt I'd have the ability to walk into a high street shop and ask if they do 'Veterans discount' and whip that out. I have some pride! (not much)
I know a few people who have said similar, fine. Their prerogative.
I on the other hand think that getting stuff 20% (VAT Free) is a damn good thing, why not make the best of it?
It's very rare in life you get appreciation so don't kick it in the teeth through "Pride".
I have a DDS card and some of the offers are fantastic, same as the old MOD90 " do you do forces discount mate?"
It will surprise you, especially if you live in an area with plenty of ex-squads how many businesses will hop on board.
Or alternatively you could just chuck that money to the taxman who will happily chuck that money to one toothed single mums in Somalia for their new project of which they will never see!!!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I on the other hand think that getting stuff 20% (VAT Free) is a damn good thing, why not make the best of it?
It's very rare in life you get appreciation so don't kick it in the teeth through "Pride".
I have a DDS card and some of the offers are fantastic, same as the old MOD90 " do you do forces discount mate?"
It will surprise you, especially if you live in an area with plenty of ex-squads how many businesses will hop on board.
Or alternatively you could just chuck that money to the taxman who will happily chuck that money to one toothed single mums in Somalia for their new project of which they will never see!!!
I get where you're coming from, but it's just a personal thing for me. I've never felt I've been owed anything by the public for my time and what I've done - my own personal feelings mind.

Now as a copper, I rip the arrse right out of the Blue Light card and various other things, 'cos that's a different matter. If it weren't for me, people like @Helm would be out murdering and raping.

I get where you're coming from, but it's just a personal thing for me. I've never felt I've been owed anything by the public for my time and what I've done - my own personal feelings mind.

Now as a copper, I rip the arrse right out of the Blue Light card and various other things, 'cos that's a different matter. If it weren't for me, people like @Helm would be out murdering and raping.
Shit it is that time, almost forgot, been polishing my best gloves all evening................

It's not about pride mate, you mention the "blue light card" you are eligible as a care assistant or dispenser, mad i know however my point is, so what. It's 20% or whatever.
So on your principle i propose that you send me 20% of your salary per month by bank transfer? Would you?
Not on your nelly!
The Exchequer takes enough as it is, you can say "oh well our income tax is less than xyz (insert country)" then add on VAT, council tax, road tax, mot, telly licence. Suddenly the savings you can get through DDS, Blue light etc make sense, call it crass, I call it cash.
Fresh air is lovely, but you cannot live on it alone!!

Last edited:
I hate this continual overuse of the term 'veteran'. It once referred to survivors of Passchendaele, now it's applied to anyone who once walked past a recruiting office.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I want to go to one of those free breakfast clubs but I’m always in bed at the time.
I want breakfast in bed, wanking off by some Eastern European car wash boys and a trip to Disney tobacco world.

Is it still that 1 day of service to qualify as a ‘veteran’ :lol:

No longer does a man (or Dorris) have to endure months on end of physical and mental hardship, 1000 yard stare for the rest of your life and taking cover every time a car back fires.

No, just get yourself in the TAs mate. Use your MOD90 for half price Doninos pizza. Free outfit for your wedding too, and buckshee promotion.

Does anyone’s know if Dominos will be getting on board with this Veterans card? Asking for a friend.

Also, do cars still back fire these days? The only time I can recollect a car back firing is in that film Uncle Buck.

What’s the threshold? Would I be carrying the same card as TA dopes and ACF AIs? I don’t think so.

I’d say 12 years of service should do it nicely.
No it clearly stated it was "1 day", so even the lad from "Raw Soldiers" at Harrogate, who got chucked out for doing drugs is entitled to one.

I'm the same EXCEPT for the veterans card. When I see how many places do students discounts and I'm thinking WTF? Then I'm very happy to have 15-20% off thanyewverymush.

What’s the threshold? Would I be carrying the same card as TA dopes and ACF AIs? I don’t think so.

"From today, any personnel who have left the military since December 2018 will automatically be given one of the new ID cards, which will allow them to maintain a tangible link to their career in the forces . . .

All other veterans will be able to apply for a new ID card by the end of this year, to mark their time in the armed forces".

Last edited:
Does it come with a lanyard, or do we have to buy one separately?
You need to buy according to your former service. Different types of material for Officers (silk), WO & SNCO (cotton) and OR's (nylon). Miniature miniatures of retired rank and any awards/medals can also be worn at your discretion.

oldbaldy

LE
Agree wholeheartedly......

Nope - 22 yrs and not a day less!! :)