News story: New T/ACC Andrea Bishop joins the Ministry of Defence Police

This week the Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) welcomes new Assistant Chief Constable (ACC) Andrea Bishop, who will celebrate 30 years’ police service later this year.

Continue reading...

This week the Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) welcomes new Assistant Chief Constable (ACC) Andrea Bishop, who will celebrate 30 years’ police service later this year.

Continue reading...
Firstly congratulations to Temp/ ACC Bisshop.

Secondly. She is a substantive Kent Chief Super who has passed PNAC and has been seconded to MDP whilst remaining a Kent Police Officer.

Is this a temporary posting to broaden the skill set of the MDP Command Team or is she there to undertake a specific short term project?

Usually ACCs are substantive if from an external force transferring across or temp if an internal candidate providing temporary cover whilst broadening their CV.

Firstly congratulations to Temp/ ACC Bisshop.

Secondly. She is a substantive Kent Chief Super who has passed PNAC and has been seconded to MDP whilst remaining a Kent Police Officer.

Is this a temporary posting to broaden the skill set of the MDP Command Team or is she there to undertake a specific short term project?

Usually ACCs are substantive if from an external force transferring across or temp if an internal candidate providing temporary cover whilst broadening their CV.
How about temporary and being on loan until she gets 30 years in and can collect her full pension and then get ACC's salary for a non Home Office force?

How about temporary and being on loan until she gets 30 years in and can collect her full pension and then get ACC's salary for a non Home Office force?
No. She is still a Kent officer so Kent pick up her pension. Mod will be making pension contributions along with her salary payments during the period of secondment to them.

If she transfers she will likely bring the actuarial calculation for her pension with her to be paid to Mod. For lots of reasons I think this would not be an attractive option for her

Home Office force pensions are different T and Cs. She may be getting to full pension qualification from the Home Office force, retiring on pension and taking a clear month as a pensioner to avoid the horrific tax liability of going straight into a very similar work and making the large contribution to HM RC. Or more plausibly. Freezing her Kent pension at 30years and not drawing it and moving over to a non home office force and starting a new seperate pension scheme.

If she is doing either of the above she will likely have taken very careful pensions advice as she runs the risk of a significant tax liability if she gets it slightly wrong.

The problem with the article is the full story isn't here. Ie us this a short term arrangement or is she in there fir the long haul.

No. She is still a Kent officer so Kent pick up her pension. Mod will be making pension contributions along with her salary payments during the period of secondment to them.

If she transfers she will likely bring the actuarial calculation for her pension with her to be paid to Mod. For lots of reasons I think this would not be an attractive option for her

Home Office force pensions are different T and Cs. She may be getting to full pension qualification from the Home Office force, retiring on pension and taking a clear month as a pensioner to avoid the horrific tax liability of going straight into a very similar work and making the large contribution to HM RC. Or more plausibly. Freezing her Kent pension at 30years and not drawing it and moving over to a non home office force and starting a new seperate pension scheme.

If she is doing either of the above she will likely have taken very careful pensions advice as she runs the risk of a significant tax liability if she gets it slightly wrong.

The problem with the article is the full story isn't here. Ie us this a short term arrangement or is she in there fir the long haul.
My point was that she needs to be in a H.O. force right up to the 30 year mark to collect her full pension. She can do that while being on loan to MDP. Then she can take her pension and get a job as ACC in a non H.O. force and keep her pension payment. You are correct in thinking that there is a huge income tax burden. When I did this as a sergeant an extra £400 a month was taken from my Met pension in income tax. I soon became self-employed.

My point was that she needs to be in a H.O. force right up to the 30 year mark to collect her full pension. She can do that while being on loan to MDP. Then she can take her pension and get a job as ACC in a non H.O. force and keep her pension payment. You are correct in thinking that there is a huge income tax burden. When I did this as a sergeant an extra £400 a month was taken from my Met pension in income tax. I soon became self-employed.
We are in furious agreement.
Over and above that your point is not only well made. I suspect you are correct.

Latest Threads